Basic Tool List

11b4v

Adventurer
look at the.....

Look at GJackson's pix again on pg 2.

That hand drill is the best idea Ive seen in a while.

I wont rest until I get one!

Adventurer
HI All,
I carry a medium sized resin portable tool box I got at Home Depot. It's the kind that has a removable top tray. It is carried in my Tuffy Trunk where the rear seats in my Jeep YJ used to reside. In it I carry a wide variety of tools all the way from small files to a torque wrench. My wrench sets are in tool rolls. If you own a Jeep you know what Torx bolts are and I carry a full set of Torx bits. My sockets, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drives, are stored in their cases. To save on space and weight, I have a nice selection of socket drive adapters. The tool box is heavy but I can still move it around.

Because my Jeep uses both SAE and metric fasteners, I'm forced to carry both types of sockets and wrenches. All this and more fits in the tool box. What I lack is a nice selection of bolts, nuts and washers. Since it is impossible to predict what will be actually needed, and it is equally impossible to carry every size, a good selection of fasteners is hard to come up with. Yet, I must try to do that.

I do not like the plastic containers I have seen in this thread. Too fragile. I think a small steel tool box with lots of compartments would be ideal and I do have the space for storage. Perhaps a tackle box would do. I'm on the search right now.

Looking at the various posts in this thread, I feel most folks do not not carry enough tools. Perhaps I am overly pessimistic. Or maybe you all are overly optimistic. But remember Murphy's Law. If something can break, it will. Especially if you frequent the tough trails as I do.

Sparky

gjackson

FRGS
Look at GJackson's pix again on pg 2.

That hand drill is the best idea Ive seen in a while.

I wont rest until I get one!

That one was my grandfather's. In good condition they can be hard to find, but well worth it when you do.

cheers

postalWagon

Adventurer
I have not seen a flash light/torch listed in most tool kits. i have one just for repairs, thats all it gets used for.
just my .02

Just saw something great at harbor freight

Harbor Freight now has "color coded" sockets and racheting combo wrenches, medium quality , not Snap-On not $1.99 bargin table. Both metric and SAE. $7.99-16.99 per set for sockets $27.99 for wrenches, now it will be much easier to tell my helpers (the grandkids) "give me a green socket", or "give me a blue wrench" .:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94