Basic Tool List

91xlt

Adventurer
we have a VERY detailed list for recovery, another for survival, was thinking maybe we should have a basic tool/parts list to take with us. Now with all this gear listed in these lists if you took it all, on each outing it would probably leave no room for a driver of the vehicle. These lists even with the repeat items are good checklists, or eye openers at the least. I think alot of people just jump in a 4x4 not understanding or even considering some of these things. The great part about this is if it helps only one person it has done its job! Now I am a newbie here, but I see the member list steadily growing...maybe this may help countless people. The powers that be may include a sticky for recovery..tools...equip..gear a basic offroader may want to invest in, not only financially but with the time to learn how to use these items functionally. I think this site is already an excellent resource, and I think it will only get better! Anyhow the basic tool list should include?

screwwdriver
wire strippers
voltage tester

OK chime in....
:victory:

asteffes

Explorer
Dude... The first item on every gear, tool, recovery, disaster, anti-terror - even first aid kit - list is always duct tape! :elkgrin:

60seriesguy

Adventurer
First, the "get me through it" list:

Duct tape
Baling wire
Friction tape
Stop-Leak
Two mtn bike inner tubes
JB Weld
Two-part expoxy
Electrical tape
Loctite
Extra hose clamps
Extra electrical wire
Coffee can full of assorted extra hardware (nuts, bolts, screws)
Tire patch kit (includes large vulcanizing patches)

The above list is not negotiable and -in a pinch-, can really save you from disaster. Ideally, one would never get to the point to have to use any of the above for a proper field repair, but the reality is that expeditions rarely go exactly as planned....*this* is my basic tool kit. More on actual hand tools later!

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for the great thread idea.

I have found that some of the larger tool kits available from Costco satisfy 80% of the required tools and also keep everything organized in the molded case.

Then I have another case for spares and another for specialty tools. Those kits are specific to the vehicles (I have one for the Jeep, Trooper, Tacoma) These are things like hub sockets, breaker bars, bolts and nuts, thread locking compound, saws, etc.

91xlt

Adventurer
asteffes said:
Dude... The first item on every gear, tool, recovery, disaster, anti-terror - even first aid kit - list is always duct tape! :elkgrin:

yeah, i guess that is a no brainer!

and the second item probably should be a beverage of choice:beer:

david despain

Adventurer
i think that one very important item espcially for 96 and newer obdII trucks like all the tacos and newer jeeps, etc around here should be a code scan tool of some kind. i have this one and keep it in my truck and have used it more times for others than my self. actron 9145 http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16150

in fact i still need to buy the cable to hook up to my ford. anyhow i think this is a needed tool for anyone going on an adventure. people always talk about how an old truck with a disel is best becasuse there are only a couple of wires to worry about, but with the modern trucks we all need/choose to drive being reliable in the outback means you need to be able to at least know what it is the computer is telling you is wrong with the truck. most of the time the new stuff will still run well enough to get u back to the pavement just not that well. modern electronics are great because they dont need as much tinkering as old stuff does but when it does need fixin you should be able to know whats wrong and with out a scanner you cant. i think that tool should be able to show real time data so thats why i went with the 9145 over a cheaper type that just shows the code number.

91xlt

Adventurer
david despain said:
i think that one very important item espcially for 96 and newer obdII trucks like all the tacos and newer jeeps, etc around here should be a code scan tool of some kind. i have this one and keep it in my truck and have used it more times for others than my self. actron 9145 http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16150

in fact i still need to buy the cable to hook up to my ford. anyhow i think this is a needed tool for anyone going on an adventure. people always talk about how an old truck with a disel is best becasuse there are only a couple of wires to worry about, but with the modern trucks we all need/choose to drive being reliable in the outback means you need to be able to at least know what it is the computer is telling you is wrong with the truck. most of the time the new stuff will still run well enough to get u back to the pavement just not that well. modern electronics are great because they dont need as much tinkering as old stuff does but when it does need fixin you should be able to know whats wrong and with out a scanner you cant. i think that tool should be able to show real time data so thats why i went with the 9145 over a cheaper type that just shows the code number.

that is a good point, and probably very easy to overlook.

91xlt

Adventurer
on the subject of toolage...how do you carry your tools? mounted toolbox? ammo can? portable tool box? just wondering...

gjackson

FRGS
All of my tools are in tool rolls and kept in a custom drawer system. Seems to work pretty well. Of course I have a Land Rover, so I have to carry more. . . :rolleyes:

Attachments

• ToolDrawers.jpg
    ToolDrawers.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,298
  • ToolRolls.jpg
    ToolRolls.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,751
  • Tools2.jpg
    Tools2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,333

Scott Brady

Founder
Graham,

Where did you find those tool rolls? I would like to find 2-3 rolls of different size or colors, and preferably in canvas.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
gjackson said:
All of my tools are in tool rolls and kept in a custom drawer system. Seems to work pretty well. Of course I have a Land Rover, so I have to carry more. . . :rolleyes:

A man after my own heart. One day I will have to lay everything out like that and take pics.

It is truely amazing how much crap you can carry when it comes to repair and recovery equipment. I inventoried everything in my rig last week it was a sick list. I was trying to get handle on any "missing tools" that I need to replace. I was short some combination wrenches and sockets of course.

david despain

Adventurer
expedition exchange carries the bucket boss tool rolls. i have one and i like it alot. https://www.expeditionexchange.com/bucketboss/

here is another one quite similar. i actually like the design of this one a little better because of the buckle arangement that holds it rolled up. it has the plastic snap in together type like you might find to close the flap on a backpack.
the bucket boss type are regular old fashioned thread them through and then back through to cinch them tight type that you would find on an old backpack to close the flaps. i guess they both have advantages. if the plastic part breaks you cant hold the roll closed but they are faster and easier to close with gloves on.

on the subject of tool rolls in addition to the bucket boss one shown in Grahams picture i also have 2 of these http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/organizers/vehicle_organizers/91034.aspx

one has a tow strap, gloves, rags, a few tools and the other has jumper cables, rags and a few tools in them. they work pretty well. it keeps them from getting tangled becoming a mess flopping about under the back seat. you cant have too many red shop rags around. i find i dont even try to clean them i just throw them away. i guess it helps if u have an endless supply of them. :hehe:

gjackson

FRGS
Where did you find those tool rolls? I would like to find 2-3 rolls of different size or colors, and preferably in canvas.

Scott, I got the tool rolls at a local hardware store. they are the older bucketboss design. The socket rolls have socket clips on them but just have draw cords to close. The newer ones have a buckle closure but pouches for the sockets.

It is truely amazing how much crap you can carry when it comes to repair and recovery equipment.

It is amazing how much stuff you can fit in. The pics I have posted are just the tools. I have a bunch of spares and special tools in those 2 drawers as well. And it all fits very nicely. Kinda heavy though! :smilies27

I plan on making a list of everything in my truck, but it is a *VERY* long list!!

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles