Roost Roof Top Tent

OBUT

Awesome, thanks for the HEAds up. What is yours mounted on? how heavy is it and noticeable while driving? thanks

jamon

You are correct it has three zippered screens which held out all of the bugs last week by the river. I haven't noticed the tent being loud from wind but I doubt I've slept in it with over 20 mph of wind. The last time I slept in it all I heard was the Colorado river and the occasional truck in the distance.

I have mine attached to the ARE shell (which has a yakima or thule track on top) with two Thule crossbar and the Thule Tracker 2 kit which seems to be discontinued and a foot pack. I have two square crossbars and they seem to be fine. I think the mounting hardware that comes with the tent might work better with the yakima round bar but I haven't tried that. The square bars seem a bit wide for the mounting hardware but it works well enough to handle some wheeling with the tent attached without problems.

I emailed ARE and they didn't give me a weight for what is safe to have on top. They only publish its dynamic weight rating which is 150 lbs while driving. ARE said they had seen customers have over 600 lbs (static) on top of their shells without problems.

I don't notice it while driving but I do notice it when parking. I don't fit in any parking in downtown SLC anymore I have to park outside.

Last edited:

OBUT

Thanks! Picking it up tomorrow for my taco,ma with the same set up then headed to ridgway and Marble for the week to fish and some meetings. Stoked.

OBUT

the one i got is black with the grey interior.Used it the wholeweek. Stoked. Do need to dom some work where the velcro has melted away from the interior. Oter than that , love it

jamon

I haven't had that problem but I read somewhere else of people having that problem. How do you have to fix it?

Cascadia-vehicle-tents

Supporting Sponsor
the one i got is black with the grey interior.Used it the wholeweek. Stoked. Do need to dom some work where the velcro has melted away from the interior. Oter than that , love it

I haven't had that problem but I read somewhere else of people having that problem. How do you have to fix it?

Please let us know how they work out for you. We also would love some photos of them in use and closed up. We have now purchased Roost USA and we will be making and adding some changes to them. Would love all your feedback positive or negative please.
Thank you in advance.

jamon

How do I get another cross bar adapter? after wrecking my THULE cross bars I am going to try three rhino rack hd bars.

Terrawagen

I've had my Roost on the G-wagen for a year now. No complaints really, I also had a slight chip in the gelcoat when delivered but it was handled by Grant.

The long term revue: It's holding up really well considering the places I've taken it. Moab Porcupine ridge, Mormon lake for Expo, Death valley Steel pass, and it even made it in and out of the Rubicon!

The rear latches have settled now, and they often unlatch themselves. There's really no way to adjust them. The only time I get concerned about it is in high side winds.

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_6231.jpg

DSC_0486.JPG

jamon

You don't really lose any space front to rear (although the front isn't very high where it pivots) you do loose some space side to side with the gas shocks that raise and lower the top. i'm much shorter than you but my buddy who used it last summer a couple times is 6 ft 3 in. I just asked him for you and he said he fit but had to put his head on the high side and you wouldn't be able to stretch out. It might work for you depending on how you sleep. Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94