97 Cummins "do-it-all"

CumminAlong

Observer
Thanks guys!

Right now the plans are as follows- would love to get some bags in the rear and I have a set of firestones ready to mount up back at home....maybe one of these days I'll get some motivation and put em in. Also would like to ditch the stock springs and blocks and get some 7-8" lift Alcans or nationals, which would bring up the rear about 3". Also my exhaust manifold has shrunk creating an exhaust leak on cyl #1, hopefully wont have too much trouble getting the manifold bolts out with heating, lubrication and wax quenching. Other than that the truck's been treating me well. Unfortunately my headlight switch shorted today and melted the connector, but napa had one and that's in...$120 canadian...ouch. Also my e-brake release broke today :( oh well.

More to come!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Let me know if you need any more parts. I get a very very good discount at our bigger parts store chain. You must REALLY be in love to leave T.O. for a Calgary winter! I just got back from Oahu and after spending some quality time at Pipeline, Haliewa, and even Waikiki, I would gladly trade a Canadian winter for more sun!

CumminAlong

Observer
Redthies,
Thanks I'll be sure to let you know if I need anything else. I actually missed the winter a lot, I'm originally from NW montana so it's nice to be back in the cold. The wind here, however, is something I still need to get used to! I am a little concerned I'm not getting full effectiveness out of my block heater, since I'm using a 50' extension cord...I believe it is a 12ga, but it isn't mine so I'm not sure. Anyone happen to know if I can get away with that? or should I park closer to an outlet?

Thanks guys!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You should find 12 AWG printed or melted into the outer sheath if it is #12 wire. Household circuits here in Canada are usually #14 wire, so using a 14 AWG extension cord won't kill you, but that said, all my "real" cords are #12 wire or bigger. 50' is about as long as I would go for a block heater, although our snowcats often get a bit longer cord.

CumminAlong

Observer
Hey guys...
Truck is back home in Cali for a month or so now.
No pics of the drive home, turns out the Destination MTs don't like ice too much, and I was trying to beat the weather.
I've been busy running all over the western US for business, so nothing's really happened with the truck.
Unfortunately I did notice a nasty oil leak after returning from Canada....cold weather got the best of the 17 year old tappet cover gasket and am now leaking about 1/2 quart overnight! :Wow1:
I've got all the new gaskets to get it fixed, currently waiting on an injection pump gear puller and engine barring tool from Genos garage.
While I'm in there, the 12 valve is going to get a new timing cover gasket, front crank seal, water pump gasket, thermostat, injection pump seal, lift pump gasket, fuel lines, etc.
I'm expecting the Genos order this coming Thursday, so expect some pics next weekend!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If your taking all the front stuff off, don't forget to double check your kdp and retorque and locktite the bolts in behind the timing gears.

CumminAlong

Observer
Yes indeed, I see a bunch of grey RTV around the timing cover, so I know it's been off before. I am not sure if KDP has been done though, the PO said he had it off to fix an oil leak.

CumminAlong

Observer
Hey guys,
Lagged on the repair. Been very busy with business and had to drive the truck. Anyways. Got the tappet cover gasket done. The job wasn't too bad, ended up being a 2 day project due the main supply line from the lift pump to fuel filter kinking during disassembly. Anyways, the job is now done and the truck is back on the road. I had issues with that fuel line but other than that the job went pretty smoothly. Turns out whoever pulled the front cover to fix the oil leak did a horrible job, the KDP wasn't tabbed (it is now), it looks like there was no plastic install sleeve used when they installed the front crank seal so it was nicked and kinked in a few spots, that explains the nasty leak it had. Also they left the depth-setting install tool attached to the timing cover which wore a nice notch in the crank. Luckily I expected to have to install a sleeve so I ordered the victor reinz oversize gasket and sleeve kit. Anyways, onto pics!

You can kind of see how worn the crank was in this pic:

Whole block wet with oil from the tappet cover leak:

New gasket installed, ready for reassembly.

More updates to come, now that that job is done I can move forward on what I WANT to do to the truck.

Thanks for looking. Ian

MT6bt

Rock hound
While youre in there, you should replace the fuel lines. If they haven't started leaking yet, they will! Also, do a fuel heater delete. That thing will short out and break down. I'm sure you know these things already, though.

Last edited:

CumminAlong

Observer
Thanks for the reply. I replaced all of the rubber lines under the hood. I am still running my fuel heater, haven't had issues yet. It's easy to remove if I ever have to though.

rystjohn

Observer
I'll be subscribing to this thread now....

My girlfriend and I just purchased a '97 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins engine with only 195K on it and almost completely stock. It has a shortened exhaust, rebuilt tranny (@150K supposedly...no receipts but the mechanic that looked it over said that he feels confident that it was), and brand spakin' new paint job (that yet again, I hope wasn't covering up anything bad, but with my two-day-long inspection I did not find anything to worry about except one small bondo-ed spot). It has a few spots of minor surface rust underneath that I'll be taking care of in short time with a wire brush, some OSPHO, and Rustoleum/Krylon primer. From there it's on to building our own epic machine to travel the country!

I feel completely comfortable working on gas engines, especially old VW boxers, but I need to learn this diesel stuff - first thing's first I'm going to make sure the KDP is secured, fix whatever gaskets are leaking, and probably redo the fuel lines since I plan on running biodiesel while we are here in Asheville. Part of this I'll be doing myself, but part of it I'll admittedly pay a mechanic to do. Gotta get that Haynes manual!

I've got all kinds of other small projects on my list that I plan on doing myself, or with the help of some friends...but I'll spare you the boring details, haha.

Next is to buy or build up a camper on the back - we're planning on driving this truck across the country several times and figuring out what we want to do with life before we turn 30 and settle down, which may or may not happen :p We're only 26, but 30 feels right around the corner for both of us, and if we're lucky we'll manage to make it there without becoming parents on the road....

Anyhow I guess I'll start my own build thread here soon and continue our story as we follow yours. Maybe we can meet up when we make it out to the West coast.

Happy Trails!

Yeager

Darwin

Explorer
The fuel lines should already be rated for biodiesel, so I wouldn't bother replacing them unless they are leaking fuel. Also, make sure you only purchase commercial grade Biodiesel in order to save your engines internals from damage.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I will be going crazy in the western part of Canada from July 13 and onwards if you want to romp in the woods with your vehicle CumminA. I hope to see you in our neck of the woods.:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior