97 Cummins "do-it-all"

CumminAlong

Observer
First off, let me re-introduce myself after my not-so-brief leave from the forum. My name's Ian, 19 years old and currently living in Thousand Oaks, CA. My truck is a 97 12-Valve, surprise surprise. :elkgrin: You may remember my halted 95 SCLB Dodge I put 37s and military beadlocks on, seen here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84407-My-95-Cummins-Expedition-project I decided to stop this project because I wasn't picky enough with what I did, ran short on funds, and in general made some mistakes throughout the build. I decided the standard cab (although more desirable for the shorter wheelbase) didn't really suit my needs very well. I wanted a sleeper in the back and just general room for my stuff!

So here's what I ended up with. A 1997 Ram 2500 CCLB 4x4 5spd that I bought with 276k in Antimony, Utah. It was bone stock, one owner and unmolested. I looked long and hard for this exact truck, and knew I had to have it as soon as I found it on craigslist. I paid a little more than I wanted to ($8000), but you get what you pay for, and this truck has now given me nearly 25k miles trouble free (aside from a leaking hydroboost unit, which is now fixed). So, one cool March morning, I rented a car and hi-tailed it up I-15. Here are a couple pics the day I brought it home.

Initially the truck stayed pretty stock, receiving a 4" MBRP exhaust, a little slide of the fuel plate and a few clicks of the star wheel, and boost and EGT gauges. For months thereafter, the truck served as daily driver, workhorse, tow rig, you name it. All without skipping a beat.

Here are a couple pics from when I took a fishing trip with my Dad up around Lake Wallowa and Joseph, Oregon.

Here is the reason I'm making this thread now. I was *supposed* to leave today for a trip to see some friends in Calgary, Alberta, do some wheeling, fishing, etc. and head over to Vancouver then down to Oregon, to see my Dad. But due to an expired passport my trip is delayed a week and a half. :Wow1: Oops!

In preparation for the trip I made a sleeper and storage box for the back of the cab as well as installing a leveling kit, Bilstein 5100 shocks and, after much research, Firestone Destination M/T tires on some Ford steel wheels my boss gave me. I just installed these yesterday and don't have more than 100 miles on them yet but so far am happy with the tires. I am very curious to see how they'll do offroad. I am a bit concerned seeing as these tires are supposed to be 12.5" wide (they are narrower than that though) and I have them on 8" wide rims. Concerned I will wear my centers out. I'm currently at 40 PSI up front and 35 PSI in the rear, and I seem to have a decent contact area.

I have fairly extensive plans for this truck, eventually. It will be getting a front bumper (kind of like the ARB bumper without the chrome brushguard, and in place of that something like an ARB 60 series Land Cruiser bumper has, mounting a 12k winch. Then will get a flat bed with 8' of toolboxes on either side, water-methanol injection, HE351CW turbo (my HX35 is tired after 300k) and a 3-piece exhaust manifold as mine has shrunk a decent bit, and I don't want to it to shear off studs or create an exhaust leak, like my best friends '96 12v.

I am happy enough with the 35" tires and 3.55 gears, so I won't be regearing to 4.10s (although that would be better).

Anyways fellas, I hope you enjoy the progress I make on this rig. I do have plenty of other things to keep me busy (like planning to buy a house this coming year) and work. Depending on my schedule, I would like to build a bumper while I'm up in Oregon in a few weeks. I'm also looking for a camper shell for this Alberta trip, so if anyone knows of a decent one for sale around the Ventura County, CA area please let me know!

Thanks for reading everyone!
Ian

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Good looking rig. You'll be happy with the Firestones. I think 3.55s with an NV4500 and 35s is perfect too. 4.10s would be too tall for the highway. I'm cruising at 65-70 @ 2000 rpm with 255/85-16s, and would prefer to be closer to 75 at 2000. There's a few nice Doodges in the T.O./Ventura/Ojai area now. Can't wait to add mine to the list.

CumminAlong

Observer
Thanks, I think I will too. I would love the 3.55s and 35s if I had a 6 speed, I can just imagine some awkward speeds while towing. For empty driving, it's great. I find myself using low gear a little more now. Redthies, are you planning on moving down here? :Wow1:

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
The Firestones are good offroad. My cousin had them on his Chevy 1500, after his MTRs wore out, and he liked the Firestones better. Are you sure those Ford wheels are 16 x 8? I have Ford 16x7 steelies from Pre-Super Duty on my truck, I didnt know they made a 16x8

Either way I like the steelies, they look good on your truck, and the backspacing works out nice for the second gen Dodges, spaces them out a bit (my 16x7 backspacing is about 4.25")

Last edited:

CumminAlong

Observer
Yeah, I have yet to hear anything bad about the Firestones. I think the rims are 16x8, edge to edge they were about 8 1/2" so I assume the inner lip is 8"

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I come down to Ventura for a few weeks to a month most years. We would love to move, but haven't got the details worked out yet.

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
Yeah, I have yet to hear anything bad about the Firestones. I think the rims are 16x8, edge to edge they were about 8 1/2" so I assume the inner lip is 8"

Sorry if I'm causing worry, but nominal wheel width can be determined by measuring inside the shoulders where the tire bead sits, 16x8 will measure right at 8" between. Most wheels, steel or aluminum, have a true outside width about 1" wider (1/2" per side) than stated width. The same goes for diameters, a 16" wheel will usually measure 17" tall

CumminAlong

Observer
I come down to Ventura for a few weeks to a month most years. We would love to move, but haven't got the details worked out yet.

Cool! Next time youre down here, we should get all the VC guys together perhaps?

Sorry if I'm causing worry, but nominal wheel width can be determined by measuring inside the shoulders where the tire bead sits, 16x8 will measure right at 8" between. Most wheels, steel or aluminum, have a true outside width about 1" wider (1/2" per side) than stated width. The same goes for diameters, a 16" wheel will usually measure 17" tall

Makes sense, these wheels (now that I have re-measured) came out at 8 3/4" from outside to outside. I would assume they are an 8" wheel.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
my shell is off my truck for a few months....bring me a tarp and enough beer and you can rent it?

i looked high and low, ended up driving to orange county and paid $400, and the windows all leaked.

great lookin truck btw!

Attachments

• trailerinyard.jpg
    trailerinyard.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 40

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I really like the look of your truck Cummin. It would probably be the exact model rig I purchase, if I ever do....:ylsmoke:

CumminAlong

Observer
Shootin for November some time. I'll keep y'all posted!

Sounds good! I could actually swing by Whistler on the way home...would be a couple weeks from now. Want to grab a frosty beverage and talk truck? :sombrero:

my shell is off my truck for a few months....bring me a tarp and enough beer and you can rent it?

i looked high and low, ended up driving to orange county and paid $400, and the windows all leaked.

great lookin truck btw!
Thanks!
A proper Dodge camper shell is hard to find around these parts. The one I picked up I got for $500, and it has a boot (I don't have a sliding rear window) that leaks like a sieve and needs new weatherstrip on the side windows, as well as the key doesnt work worth a damn. Oh well, I needed one ASAP.

I really like the look of your truck Cummin. It would probably be the exact model rig I purchase, if I ever do....:ylsmoke:

Thanks Chili! If you're in BC in a couple weeks I may be passing through your area, I'll keep ya posted as I may be taking a more northern route then down to Vancouver.

Alright guys, an update for y'all.

Anyways, the truck ran great on the drive up to Calgary.

First stop somewhere in Nevada I heated up a sandwich on the exhaust manifold--

Then drove straight to Dillon Montana where I spent the night in my in-cab sleeper (which was nice and comfy!) and kept driving in the morning.

Here I stopped for a bite north of Helena.

About to cross the boder into Alberta...

Got into Calgary and crashed...next morning my lovely girlfriend Louise and I headed up to Big Hill Springs, AB to check out some scenery.

She broke her foot the day before I arrived, poor girl! so we haven't been able to do a ton of outdoorsy things hence the lack of pics....oh well! This trip has provided some much needed relaxation however!

Anyways everyone, that's all Ive got for ya for now...headed out to Banff for the weekend and hopefully we will do a little wheelin up around there!

Peace!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
My name's Ian, 19 years old

WOW outstanding! I now feel a renowned bit of faith in today’s youth after reading your posts. Not only do you think and write well above your years, you also have great tastes and know how to prioritize projects. There are guys here that are two and three times your age that can't do any of that. Good work young man! Very nice truck(s) too. Looking forward to more :elkgrin: Have a safe trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94