Hot water shower idea...

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, not designed to heat water but it probably could adapt it. There are larger plates too that run off the coolant lines, they are very efficient but like anything mechanical, watch for leaks on circulating systems.:)

JackW

Explorer
I like that, how long do you have to run the water through to get it up to temp?

I use this with the engine running - If the engine coolant is hot it heats up the water as it passes through the exchanger on its way from the 5 gallon can to the shower head. Since my diesel runs cool at idle the water gets warm but not too hot. With a V-8 I think I'd have to mix some cold water after the heat exchanger to keep from scalding myself. These flat plate exchangers are made of thin corrugated stainless steel plates soldered together. The transfer efficiency is very high.

My dad had an old converted Chevy step-van camper that had a 10 gallon stainless steel water tank with a copper coil inside that was plumbed to the heater hoses. As you drove down the road it would gradually heat the contents of the tank so you could take a hot shower at the end of the days drive.

abruzzi

Adventurer
A couple quick points:

- the cat will retain heat much longer than the pipe if you are trying to use residual heat in the exhaust.

- What about a 10 gallon water container with a simple electric pump attached to a thermostat, so if the engine is running, and the water is less than 100* F, it pumps water through the heat exchanger and back into water tank. Insulate the tank and build a mechanism to run a shower. It wouldn't be too complicated, though I don't really like the idea of pumping water all over the place. The 2F engine on my FJ60 has a rectangular piece that coolant flowed through and oil flowed through, and used the coolant to heat/cool the oil. That piece could easily be repurposed for the task and would be less susceptible to a lot less things than using the exhaust.

- With all the above, it might be easier to just use a heating element.

05nissanXterra

Observer
From all the feed back I have received, I'm going to need to find a different way to heat the water. When were arnt camping we wheel this vehicle hard, and I really don't need the extra weight of all this.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
While cost is obviously higher, consider a traditional heat exchanger made for this exact application i.e. under the hood of a vehicle designed with vibration and such in mind. There are a handful of manufactures out there, I'm partial to the Helton 4x4 shower systems as I sell them (user first ;)) but many are tried and true and simply work in various 4x4 setups. I've had customers try the wrapped exhaust, radiator with trans cooler, etc... in the end they have wasted a bit of money but more importantly (to me anyways) is time, time that could have been spent planning your next adventure or better yet loading the back of your rig. I'm sure there are some fantastic home brew setups that work... if you have time on your side, experiment and let us know.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Another idea is running water through a copper coil plumbed through your camp stove with a pump controlled by a thermo switch, it will heat the water while you cook dinner and be ready for washing dishes or a sponge bath.

jeremyk

Adventurer
I know the thought of having an on-board water heater is kind of cool. I looked into the idea, but you get in to pumps and hoses and a water container and and and. I finally settled on a stainless steel Hudson sprayer with a pet washing shower head. I have a folding Partner Steel camp stove (not really necessary) with a 6 pound propane tank, and I put a stove half on the ground and heat up the sprayer, with the top open, until the water gets up to temp. Then I shut the thing up, pump it up and have a shower. The sprayer also allows me to carry a couple of extra gallons of water, just in case. You can also use it to cool off (you & your pets) on hot days.

I know that this isn't a new or cool idea, but it is practical and has a lot of utility with out adding complexity to your system.

Last edited:

05nissanXterra

Observer
I do like the Helton systems, like I've said before I really don't need this it would just e a cool perk. So it's just hard to justify $400 for something I've done without for this long. Maybe one day when I have the money to spare and nothing to fix on my rig. Thanks for y'all's input on this. I really don't have the time nor money to waste experimenting so when the time comes I'll break down and get the Helton system.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I use a complex system consisting of a 2gal. RL garden sprayer water and a heat source(camp stove etc). I lengthen the hose with fuel line from Kragen and shorten the wand some.
Heat up water and add it to cool water until desired temperature is achieved Pump her up. The sprayer's nozzle is adjustable to your tastes. You get a great shower including all the nooks and crannies and save water.
Baja proven for decades.

ravenccorax

ive seen pipe wrapped around exhaust pipes and washer turbulence systems double shell thing for underwater diving suits to give em warm water so they dont freeze. never got a temp but warm enough. the only bad part about exhaust and heat plate systems. if you stop the flow for a min then restart it you get a hot spike where that water rested and got real hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior