Hot water shower idea...

05nissanXterra

Observer
Has anyone ever tried to wrap copper tubing around their exhaust pipe, and use the heat from the exhaust system as their heat exchanger? I'm thinking about building a "poor mans shower" I don't need a hot water shower but its a cool idea, and for that reason I can't justify a $400 shower system.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

XpoNoobie

Observer
My dad did that on a old school bus we had. It can be VERY HOT water coming out of the tap. After a few times and much cursing later, he modified it to heat up a tank of water with out burning anyone. It sure was nice on cold days tho

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I've seen it wrapped around the upper radiator hose.

05nissanXterra

Observer
I'm thinking that if I have a Y plumbed into the system before the heat exchanger for "cold" water, with a pair of ball valves I could adjust the temperature that comes out the nozzle. I'm just glad to hear that the tubing around the exhaust works so well.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There are many ideas out there involving copper around the exhaust, a heater core on the exhaust manifold, and many others. I personally prefer to just heat up a pot of water and grab a washcloth.

05nissanXterra

Observer
The only reason I couldn't do a heater core on the manifold, is I'm running Doug Thorley long tube headers.... And they are just too pretty to hide.

southpaws3

Observer
I bought a new radiator used the tranny cooler side to heat the water, use a RV water pump, use non corrosive line w/ a 15ft hose at each end the inlet side w/ filter the outlet side w/ shower head . got to be careful to not overheat the water to wash w/.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Check out marine applications, there are several ways to take heat from the engine, boats have been doing it for decades. Consider vibration and engines in vehicles will move more than in a boat, I think. The coils don't attach or touch the exhaust, but are close, it will get hot enough. If I had a large rig, like a MOG or whatever that could have a nice tank, I'd go this route, running an engine long enough just to heat water wouldn't be very efficient, better to go solar or get the stove going or a camp fire.

05nissanXterra

Observer
Check out marine applications, there are several ways to take heat from the engine, boats have been doing it for decades. Consider vibration and engines in vehicles will move more than in a boat, I think. The coils don't attach or touch the exhaust, but are close, it will get hot enough. If I had a large rig, like a MOG or whatever that could have a nice tank, I'd go this route, running an engine long enough just to heat water wouldn't be very efficient, better to go solar or get the stove going or a camp fire.

I agree bout not running the engine just to heat water, but your exhaust holds some residual heat after its been running. I'm thinking that it could hold enough to warm up enough for a little shower.

XpoNoobie

Observer
Put a heat exchanger to the end of the exhaust or even wrap some pipe around it. Then use like someone said use a pump to get water from storage to the tap, so the pump doesnt over heat.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I agree bout not running the engine just to heat water, but your exhaust holds some residual heat after its been running. I'm thinking that it could hold enough to warm up enough for a little shower.

Go drive your truck around the block a few times, park it, and see how long your tail pipe stays hot enough to heat up some water....

05nissanXterra

Observer
Go drive your truck around the block a few times, park it, and see how long your tail pipe stays hot enough to heat up some water....

In my opinion as long as it'll take the chill out of the water, that would be good. After all... We would be camping.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
In my opinion as long as it'll take the chill out of the water, that would be good. After all... We would be camping.

So do what I suggested and post your findings, even on my turbo diesel it cools to the touch in a few minutes, cools even faster at a slow trail pace. Now if you had it set up to run while you are driving it for 10-15 minutes before stopping it might work.

05nissanXterra

Observer
So do what I suggested and post your findings, even on my turbo diesel it cools to the touch in a few minutes, cools even faster at a slow trail pace. Now if you had it set up to run while you are driving it for 10-15 minutes before stopping it might work.

That's an idea, have a small 5gallon take with a pump to recirculate water through the heat exchanger. It would be ready to use when you pulled into camp, but we also wheel our rig pretty hard and i would hate to put a hole in the tank... I'm not even sure where the heck I would be able to mount it.....

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I don't really like to get scientific as I'm not a scientist but, crunching some numbers and taking a few observations will save you a lot of time and some money with failed attempts.

You need to consider the pump, how quickly the water flows through the tubed coil, the length of the coil or tubing which gives you the time that the water has an opportunity to heat up. How far away is the point of use and any holding tank if any are considerations. The size of the tubing is also a factor.

The length of line in the coil around the heat source determines the time the water can heat at a given temp. The gap or distance of the plumbed coil from the exhaust pipe will also be a factor. You don't want it on the exhaust pipe as it shakes and moves which plays on the water connections and lines.

Counting on a few minutes of heat will not be sufficient while the exhaust pipe cools off at shut down. That is an observation based on successful systems. There is not much difference between heating water from exhaust attachments on a marine engine to one on a vehicle, engines and running temps are very similar if not the same.

If you run water through pumping at 6 gpm, through a 1/2" line that's 10 seconds a gallon.

Now, how cold is the water? What is the desired temp at the faucet? Just saying "knock the chill off" if that is the goal it will likely be met by the placebo effect, your expectation of the chill being knocked off through your contraption may lead you to a successful conclusion as you get wet while you bear a one degree difference.

Without going into rocket science and physics with heat transfer and velocity of water, let's look at how the problem has been solved by mankind to date. Look at the specifications of other engine driven water systems. Look at the replacement parts available for commercial heaters, a good unit should have a parts list. Most heaters are used in marine applications, used on yachts for decades. I suggest you study those units as they work well.

Turning tubing 6 wraps around the end of an exhaust pipe isn't going to get you squat nor will the temp be hot enough to significantly change the water temp being pumped through it at any useable pump rate. Maybe an aquarium pump would be slow enough rate allowing time to heat but doubt you can shower off at the rate of an I.V.

Copy what has already been done, you can make your own and many do on boats. You might be able to buy some parts. You'll need to heat during operation and have a holding tank, circulate the hot water keeping it hot, you'll need a thermostat at the tank unless you want it to explode, a pop off valve, and regulate the flow as needed. Otherwise, you'll need to run the engine while you tap off hot water as it's made. :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94