Custom Camper on F550 Cab Chassis Build.

DiscoChicken

Or this on the transmissions...

...Google search is your friend...

Tell me more of this Google you speak of...<-(friendly sarcasm)

Yes, I've spent hours on google. I've tried editing the url that ScottReb gave me, but I kept getting "404 Forbidden". I don't know if it's my browser or what, but I can't find page 35 anywhere in that link. Everything I find from using Google are just pieces or sections of the book. Even the links you posted are of an incomplete book. I want measurements for the chassis and cab of the 4 door 4x4 Durastar (Frame to top of cab, Frame length from behind cab to end, Frame height from ground, Rear wheel articulation clearance, Tank placements, etc... I need details before I can roughly design the camper on the frame. I cannot find those measurements or a diagram, even using Google.

Thank you very much for your help. It is appreciated. I'm calling a dealer Monday.

Gemini

Observer

Gemini

Observer
International MDTs

Gemini isn't my sign but I didn't think Hexipus sounded very catchy.

Let's just say that I have a small stable of early-to-mid 2000's International 4700s. Some people on here collect Porsche or Land Rovers, I collect Navistars (less $$$ and more useful - hard to haul a unit of Drywall in a 911 but I could haul a 911 on mine). :)

Although I do need to thin the herd...

DiscoChicken

I'm really leaning hard towards these trucks. I love the idea of a big 4x4 diesel on a manual tranny.
Gemini, thanks for all the links. I appreciate your help. Any suggestions on the engine/tranny combo you'd prefer?
BTW, Here are the current floor plans I have. The first is a queen bed/cab over design, 20' long. The second is a box behind the cab/tri-level queen bed over bunk, 18' long. Both designs are longer than I'd like, but have everything required by the other 3 in the crew.

ERV-08-02.jpg

ERV-08-03.jpg

Gatsma

Adventurer
Those are great floorplans! Looks like much thought went into them! But please clarify something; is the top one a cabover and the bottom one not? If this is the case, the cabover one will have a much shorter chassis length than the other, due to having the queen bed above the cab. Straighten me out!

Last edited:

DiscoChicken

the cabover one will have a much shorter chassis length than the other
That is correct. The determining factor of which FP I go with is cab height (frame to top of cab) of the Durastar. The bottom FP could also be a trailer. I'm THINKING of building a trailer first to get all the kinks out of the building process, use it for a season, sell it and begin work on a truck/camper rig.

Last edited:

Gatsma

Adventurer
What I like about the bottom one is you can possibly sleep 5 or 6 people (2 adults,3-4 kids) with the lower bunks and upper queen along w/ the dinette bed(how big is that one? 1 or 2 people?). A VERY versatile and attractive layout! Keep us all posted!

DiscoChicken

Weeeeellllll... After my last trip to Ford and dealing with my current 6.7 liter Super Dooty, I have vehemently decided against the purchase of another Ford Diesel truck (God, I miss my simple 7.3). I have looked into other platforms like Durastar, but they put me above my ideal roof/clearance height. Besides the issues I am having with deciding on a chassis, and the issues I've had trying to get sample materials for the camper shell, my "small" camper keeps getting bigger and bigger. My wife said "It's a giant rig with a little camper" and shes right. At this point, I have starting looking at other types of vehicles and analyzing my priorities. With the definite, upcoming, US release of the AWD Sprinter, I have come to the conclusion that it would be the perfect vehicle for my family. I could use it as a "daily driver" if necessary. At 22.8 feet long it's small enough to drive and park in downtown, urban areas. With two small children, we spend a lot of time going to museums, aquariums, zoos and similar attractions in different cities. These destinations often call for stealth boondocking witch would be impossible in my previous design. I also prefer off the beaten path, solitary places to camp witch are getting harder to find in the eastern parts of the US. Therefor the need for a hardcore, off-road, overland vehicle is not a necessity. That being said, I don't think my previous design at 26 feet long, 11.5 feet high would be a great off-road vehicle anyway. Most of my camping is off of gravel/forest roads and festivals where I'm fine unless it rains and the ground gets sticky, where 4WD/AWD will keep me moving. So, without further jibber jabbering, here is my current design for a 2015, 170" Highroof, AWD, Sprinter.

ERV-09Van.jpg

So, do I need to move my thread to the Van section now? I guess I better change the title.

I would appreciate any thoughts, critiques.

Thanks.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Have you checked into Sportsmobile? They have a TON of floorplans to use for ideas, and it may surprise you how reasonable their conversion costs are, if you need "help" building the truck. Just an idea....

incognito

Adventurer
Hy,
you should consider also a duramax 3500 dually prior to dpf 2007 with a 2500 bigfoot camper, with basement or no, 1.5 inch insulation
had a sprinter, take the dually if you can , lot more stable. look into sprinter forum tons of sprinter conversions into camper took 6 month to finish mine. engine is to small to be a good 4wd vehicle offroad when full(I had the 2.7 smallest engine). expensive parts. good points: you could go incognito as my sprinter was, very nice to drive, best mpg of all big rigs( was doing 28 mpg with mine).
put a lot of insulation in the floor and walls. is very hot when hot outside and cold when cold since is a metal shell.model with windows all around is worst since windows have heat/cold transfer all around best is cargo model with thermopane windows
http://globalcamper.blogspot.ca/
hope this helps
incognito

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier