Adding "win-doors" to your current shell?

Sorry for the new thread but can't find any info. I want windoors on my camper shell. I can not find a used shell that fits that has them. I can not pay $2000 for a new shell. So I was wondering if anyone has purchased the windoors separately and added them to their shell? I googled and found a few mention the ability to purchase them but never found anyone that has. I have an ARE shell if that helps.

Joe

glamisdude72000

Desert Camper
I did it. Went to the dealer I bought the shell from paid $250 and got a windoor added to my shell. Well worth it. $250 was for the cost of the windoor from the factory and installation by the dealer. Hope this helps you out.

gsanders

Observer
Hi Joe:

I have not switched to win-doors but I did remove all my windows to paint my shell and the removal and re-install was pretty easy. I have a Raider shell and the windows have a bunch of small hex head screws. Remove the screws and the window comes apart in two pieces, an outer frame and the inside which includes the actual window. From the factory, my outer frame was attached to the side of the shell with a foam insulation tape (which was very old and worn). Another reason I pulled the windows out was because I had leaks that were pretty bad. I stripped all the foam tape from the frames and the shell and cleaned them up really well with Goof Off and degreaser. To reinstall, instead of using foam tape I used outdoor silicone and 3M Window Weld which is specifically formulated for use in automobiles. I started with Window Weld but I ran out and it was late at night so I finished up with outdoor use silicone caulk...so far no leaks from either.

I hope that helps for the actual process, as for finding the windoors I would contact ARE and they should be able to ship them to you. If not, there are plenty of shell accessories and parts places on the web that can buy or build windoors for your specific shell.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I was looking into that a while back and found that the local dealer would sell and install as GlamisDude did but the dealer was unwilling to sell me the windoor units for self-install.

GlennA

Adventurer
windoors

I had slider windows in the shell on my Frontier. I kept checking CL and found a shell off of a F-150 that had windoors for free. I guess I got lucky, they were exactly the same size as my sliders. I suggest finding a used shell with windoors. Swap the windows for the windoors and sell the extra shell to recoup some of the cash.

I posted a used shell with windoors from Rock Hill, SC(Columbia, SC, CL) a couple of days ago. I think it was priced around $75. For that price, one could pick up the shell, remove the windoors and drop the rest of the shell at the nearest waste disposal facility.

Pays to be creative.

Last edited:
I had slider windows in the shell on my Frontier. I kept checking CL and found a shell off of a F-150 that had windoors for free. I guess I got lucky, they were exactly the same size as my sliders. I suggest finding a used shell with windoors. Swap the windows for the windoors and sell the extra shell to recoup some of the cash.

I posted a used shell with windoors from Rock Hill, SC(Columbia, SC, CL) a couple of days ago. I think it was priced around $75. For that price, one could pick up the shell, remove the windoors and drop the rest of the shell at the nearest waste disposal facility.

Pays to be creative.

I actually contacted that guy from your post. He said it was a leer top so I figured they would not fit my ARE. Little too long of a drive for the chance that they might. Thanks for that though.

Everyone else thanks too! I hate to pay $500 to get windoors installed but will check your links to see if I can just but the windoors themselves. I appreciate all of the replies!

GlennA

Adventurer
I actually contacted that guy from your post. He said it was a leer top so I figured they would not fit my ARE. Little too long of a drive for the chance that they might. Thanks for that though.

Everyone else thanks too! I hate to pay $500 to get windoors installed but will check your links to see if I can just but the windoors themselves. I appreciate all of the replies!

Only the tape measure will tell. Have the guy measure the height and the diagonal length. Compare the measurements to yours. I didn't think the ones in the F-150 would fit my Frontier shell until I measured them and they were the same.

BTW, if you can make a deal on some used windoors in SC, I could arrange to pick them up. I have co-workers throughout the state. I travel through Augusta-Atlanta-Alabama once a month and could meet to drop them off.

Last edited:
Only the tape measure will tell. Have the guy measure the height and the diagonal length. Compare the measurements to yours. I didn't think the ones in the F-150 would fit my Frontier shell until I measured them and they were the same.

BTW, if you can make a deal on some used windoors in SC, I could arrange to pick them up. I have co-workers throughout the state. I travel through Augusta-Atlanta-Alabama once a month and could meet to drop them off.

Windoors were too long. Nice guy though. For anyone interested the height of the glass was 15", top length was 69 1/2" and bottom was 71 1/2".

Thanks for the offer Glenn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles