Aussie trailers - why no fenders, accessories, etc.?

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Thanks, it keeps me off the streets I suppose. Photography is a real good way to get yourself outdoors and away from the computer.

Heinz Modricky

Heinz Modricky
That's what I like about living in South Africa. We also have rules, but they're generally treated as guidelines :):):). Jokes aside, we have similar rules in trailer manufacturing and I'd say it is more difficult for a private guy to register a home built trailer in SA than it is in the States and Australia. Our rules follow EU standard fairly accurately.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Trouble is then you still have all the different rules. Of course neither will happen, there's no way to get rid of the over-governing we have.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
There is no regulation preventing exterior accessories. I think what you have to look at is the footprint of the typical Australian trailer. It's much bigger than those produced in North America allowing the accessories to be stored on the tongue or in the trailer. You'll also find storage underneath the trailer such as water tanks, spare tires etc. Australian trailer tent to be much wide than North American trailers allowing for the fenders to be recessed into the main trailer body.

My Australian Kimberley Karavan has two water tanks, one grey water tank and the spare mounted under the frame; and has very high clearance. Two jerries, a propane tank and diesel for the water heater and stove top are mounted on the tongue. The overall width is the same as my tow vehicles, but it is heavy at 4,400 lbs when loaded.

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
There is no regulation preventing exterior accessories.

Well, except for propane tanks which can't be located outside the envelope of the vehicle. On the drawbar is OK, but hung on the rear or sides outside of the main structure is not.

Always a bit of an argument, but it is also likely that having cans of gasoline hung on the back of the vehicle is also illegal. If it isn't illegal it may be unwise. Diesel is OK.

being born in Aust, living there 25 years and now in America for 23 years I can tell you straight up, Aust has nowhere near the same number.

Could things have changed over the last 23 years?

rustystruck

Aussies having exped trailers down

I think the Aussies have the expedition trailers down. I have done a lot research. I really like their tent set-ups on the trailers. They have great ideas.

Grouseman

ABSOLUTELY! A SAR friend gave me a bunch of back copies of Aussie 4wd magazines. That's what really sparked my interest in a trailer that could double between camping and SAR. That, and the fact that our 2011 JKU was packed to the ceiling when we went camping.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
My Australian Kimberley Karavan has two water tanks, one grey water tank and the spare mounted under the frame; and has very high clearance. Two jerries, a propane tank and diesel for the water heater and stove top are mounted on the tongue. The overall width is the same as my tow vehicles, but it is heavy at 4,400 lbs when loaded.

I love the Kimberley's, but they are beasts. Your trailer weighs more than two of ours fully loaded :Wow1:

95RRC

Adventurer
Could things have changed over the last 23 years?

Possibly, but not according to my cousin - he builds custom off road trailers in Vic. There are similar rules/regs as America - but generally the restrictions on them are not as stringent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94