Aussie trailers - why no fenders, accessories, etc.?

rustystruck

In looking at the commercially-made expedition trailers in the Australian 4wd magazines, I don't see any fenders or exterior accessories, such as propane tanks, tool boxes, etc. Is there a particular reason that the Australians can't have these on trailers? For some reason I recall a post somewhere that they're not allowed there. Thanks!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There is no regulation preventing exterior accessories. I think what you have to look at is the footprint of the typical Australian trailer. It's much bigger than those produced in North America allowing the accessories to be stored on the tongue or in the trailer. You'll also find storage underneath the trailer such as water tanks, spare tires etc. Australian trailer tent to be much wide than North American trailers allowing for the fenders to be recessed into the main trailer body.

In North America we are typically dealing with narrow twisty trails with obstacles that require high clearance so the footprint of the trailer is much more compact and carrying accessories requires some ingenuity. Weight is also a big factor, Australian trailers tend to be heavy, the typical tow vehicle in OZ has a very high tow capacity, where as in the US the typical tow vehicle is a Jeep JK with a comparatively low tow capacity.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I think we have more than enough rules, probably just different ones to the US.

I'd agree with you on that. The official Australian Design Rules are very comprehensive, and then each States regulations make it a little more complex.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I said don't get me started :)

Well actually 2 of ours are territories as well, but it's a distinction only of interest to academics and politicians I think, in the real world the territories have their own rules just like a state, there's no practical difference.

_____
Rob

95RRC

Adventurer
I think we have more than enough rules, probably just different ones to the US.

Well being born in Aust, living there 25 years and now in America for 23 years I can tell you straight up, Aust has nowhere near the same number. Think yourself lucky - just like the old ads used to say...

Grouseman

Adventurer
Aussies

I think the Aussies have the expedition trailers down. I have done a lot research. I really like their tent set-ups on the trailers. They have great ideas.

Grouseman

Grouseman

Adventurer
Your right about that. They are very proud of their trailers, lol. Lots of guys paying 35-45K for them. It is astounding. But they have great ideas for the tents on the trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles