M416 build in Houston

maddawg2012

Observer
Looking for the M416 handles

Anyone have the handle components they might have chopped off and don't need? My trailer is missing in them in the rear. The prior owner dis-guarded them when they made there tailgate. I would like to return them for more of the original part of the trailer look.

Anyway, PM me if you have two you want to toss.

maddawg2012

Observer
Well I did some work on this trailer this weekend.

1st I had new tires placed on the 72 Ford rims I got off craigslist. Old tires were 10 years old and one had a small leak. BTW Tire shops around here will not even air up 10 year old tires. So went with some 235/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler radials. This is just temporary until I finally get my 5x5 custom axle.

2nd: I finished welding up the tailgate sheeting and adjusted the hinges as there was some minor binding after installing the sheeting. Then just did a quick primer and Black coat of paint. Installed the latches and this is as far as I plan to go for the month.

In Nov, I will dis-assemble the tube from the frame and have it bead blasted. Then off to a Auto body shop to have the dents and bends fixed as much as possible then painted. I'm guessing this will all take till Feb to get completed. From there I will make a lid. By February, I will have already extended the front out for a Tool box, and installed that, plus give more room to clear the Jeep tailgate. Add a rear hitch mount.

Here is the most current pictures. Sorry there a bit dark :( . I will re-take them this weekend
IMG_1819.jpgIMG_1786.jpg

Check out your hardware store for gate handles. A pieces of angle metal to match the mounting points if you want an inexpensive way to replicate those with a little fabrication.

maddawg2012

Observer
Check out your hardware store for gate handles. A pieces of angle metal to match the mounting points if you want an inexpensive way to replicate those with a little fabrication.

Thanks for the idea. Will keep my eyes open.

On another not, I got the trailer registered and tagged! She legal now!

maddawg2012

Observer
that trailer is looking nice. how was the camping trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks for the comment. As for the trip we leave the 25th just for a few days. I've towed it around town and it pulls great. So, it looks good for a 460 mile round trip.

Better photos still pending (Nasty weather this weekend)

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I have pulled mine in stock form except for springover, behind my jeep to our ranch in OK and my son and I have towed it behind his Tacoma to Arizona and back twice. It should tow just fine with little sag but I can tell you that weight distribution will be critical on your trip. Too much in back and it will fishtail bad on you!

Other than that is should tow the whole way and back like it is not even there. Good luck on your trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles