M416 build in Houston

maddawg2012

Observer
Well, I obtained a M416! I found it on C/L and did a trade for it.

I plan to do the following:

Change out the axle to support 5x5 wheels.
Replace the springs and shocks
extend the front frame out a foot or two for a toolbox and clearance of the Jeep spare.
Add front and rear receiver hitch.
Install led lighting
Replace/fix tail gate.
Replace all bolt hardware with new. --- Anyone have a list on what the sizes are ? I think Zinc is the preferred? And I think I read grade 8? I'm guessing my Home Depot does not stock this.

Would like to keep the manual breaks and the fold up jack, but not sure how to do that yet. If not I will put these up for sale along with other left over parts.

I have spent the last two days doing some rust/paint removal with a flap disk and what a chore. The tub is about 50% done, but I cant seem to get into all the tight areas. I think sandblasting is the best option. But I have no clue where to have it done. I searched the internet on Sandblasting, and in my area (League City) seems most are industrial places.

Any recommendations for one in the Sothern part of Houston?

The entire tub is in decent shape. No holes, a little few minor dings and dents. However the floor is pitted along with portions of the lower areas( a few inches up)on the sides. What is the best practice to fix/hide this? Epoxy paints? Bed liner?

00J0J_eYoNVOPbkC8_600x450.jpg

So I begin this process. I have read so many M416 builds but I feel like I have forgotten everything. Info overload. Failed to take notes. Haha....

So first on the agenda is Sandblasting... I need to find a place to get it done.

I will start posting pictures up when I have something to show. Right now the above is just when I picked it up.

Maddawg

maddawg2012

Observer
Thanks, its in decent shape. Not fond of the tailgate and there is pitting in the bed. Though not as bad as others have had including holes.
I want to get it sandblasted, and trying to find a place that does it on a retail level. I also need to source new springs, shocks,bolts, and some other items.
The frame is in great shape. Very minimal rust and it's all surface only. No pitting. So if I decide to just build a new tub I can use the same base frame.
Existing tires are about shot. The tread is about to separate on one tire. So getting it home was it's last tow until I swap wheels and tires with a new axle.

maddawg2012

Observer
Thanks for the Google search line. Did not consider Media blasting as a search.

I traded a AR style .308 I had that was collecting dust. Had not fired it in 3 years. He took it in trade and gave me a 100.00 more on top. Included hitch and portable towing lights. Over al a good deal. Don't feel like I got the short end of the stick. He should not either.

basicfish

Observer
Blasting near Houston

Look on craigs list, there is a place I used just north of Baytown. They will paint it also

maddawg2012

Observer
Look on craigs list, there is a place I used just north of Baytown. They will paint it also

I emailed the one in Crosby. Apparently they will pick it up to? If I might ask, what was the cost to have yours done? Did you have them paint as well?

Maddawg

maddawg2012

Observer
I'm thinking about ordering my Axle first. I have seen a few mention ABC trailer parts in Alabama, Redneck trailers. Any others? I plan to use Pro Comp Series 98 Rock Crawler wheels-15x8 wheel size 5x5 bolt pattern, 3.75" backspacing. I will be putting on 33"x12.5 tires. Not sure brand yet. I have ******** Cepek Mud 33" on the jeep, but there wore out and I need something a little less aggressive as this is my DD and I want better balance and wear. So I'm guessing the stock axle length of 57 inches is good for clearance? And the spring spacing is 39"? Will stock fenders be a issue. If so, no need to have them blasted. Then I need to decide if I plan on electric brakes (over or under axle), parking break?

Any help nailing this down today and I can get this ordered. I presume 5-10 business days to deliver.

I appreciate all your comments, links and support in case I failed to say so in the past or future.

basicfish

Observer
I emailed the one in Crosby. Apparently they will pick it up to? If I might ask, what was the cost to have yours done? Did you have them paint as well?

Maddawg

I had a lathe cabinet blasted and I took it to them. they were very reasonable, a few Jacksons and I was on my way. it is a hole in the wall place,but if you want cheep don't look for a place with a facebook site.
If you can be happy with a color he has you will work a good deal. It is industrial paint not too many color options, but it is very durable.

fish

maddawg2012

Observer
Thanks for the follow-up. The guy did email me. Quoted entire trailer 250 to blast and 350 to blast and prime. I found a closer place in Pearland that quoted 85hr but still awaiting on cost to primer it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles