M416 build in Houston

maddawg2012

Observer
So, I will be breaking down the trailer this week. I already removed the tub, fenders, old crappy tailgate design. I noticed, the most of the bolts are toast. What sizes are the bolts? Any recommendations here on getting a list on what to buy to replace them all? What grade?

Thanks

Maddawg

pookie

Observer
Maddawg, I sent you a PM but if you are scrapping the lunnette I'd be interested in it for my current project.

Also when I redid my old M416 (that I wish I still had) I replaced all the hardware that I could find with stainless stuff and some anti-seeze. More expensive but at least if I wanted to take the bed off again I wouldn't be fighting the same rusty bolts again.

maddawg2012

Observer
For those whom might be looking for parts, I plan on keeping the lunette. However if I do not find a solution for the parking brake, I will have that, the axle, wheels to part with. I would like to keep the brake, but I have not seen a usable solution to incorporate it into a new axle setup. I did find the vendor whom I believe designed the brake mechanism.
http://orschelnproducts.com - Here is the link incase anyone interested.

Anyway, back to searching bolt inventory lists and sizes.

Wildcat

Adventurer
hey maddawg, where in houston are you? east side? nice find on the trailer. i look for them all the time, but not usually much in houston.

maddawg2012

Observer
hey maddawg, where in houston are you? east side? nice find on the trailer. i look for them all the time, but not usually much in houston.

Hey Wildcat,

Thanks, I'm down in the League City/South Shore Harbor area. BTW on Craigs list there is another one listed. Pricey, but looks like all the clean-up work is done. There have been others, but none really in the affordable range. Was one in Sugarland, NE Houston, Seabrook in the last six months. Just have to be actively searching. http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4043587359.html

Maddawg

maddawg2012

Observer
Well,

I did a little progress this last weekend on the trailer. I was going to break it down for blasting, but instead worked on the tailgate. I'm doing a very similar style tailgate setup as FlashHoles. My M416 had a tailgate already as shown in pictures above, but is was warped, rusty, left little for a good solid top design, and the whole thing was in rough shape. So I chopped off the hinges and ditched the rear. The person who did the design used 1/8 2" angle iron to frame in the tailgate. I chose to keep the tube frame side support as it would have compromised the integrity of the rear of the tub if I removed it. I welded 1/1 square tubing cross the top and bottom of the tub and welded in some 16ga sheet on the rear sides. Some clean-up of the shape is in order, but it's close. The top bar will serve as the base for the lid and provide stability of the open end. My tailgate opening is about 31x16 in size. I have already welded up the rest of the gate and need more sheet steel finish it off. I also need to get some hinges and latches of which I'm not sure what I want yet.

IMG_1357.jpgIMG_1356.jpgIMG_1359.jpgIMG_1362.jpg

Next up... Add 1x1 angle iron to top of tub frame for flat surface to support a lid. Breaking down the frame for blasting and primer. Start ordering parts for worn out components.

Reviewing axle and wheel options. I want to keep the brake so I'm looking into spacers, new/used radials on stock rims, Cj rims, etc...

Last edited:

maddawg2012

Observer
Thanks, a grinder makes anything look great! Honestly, this is my 3rd time to weld. 2nd being the day prior. The first over 4 years ago. I think it turned out great. Have a few more welds to add but all in all I I'm pleased with it.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Nice trailer and welcome to the club of money pits! If you have a jeep the pit is complete and your wallet is empty.

I got my trailer in Houston as well. I used the M416 manual and the original bolts and ordered all mine online at once. It is not cheap but I replaced every bolt, washer and nut. I also sandblasted mine and had it powdercoated. I followed a lot of your plan---frame first and then tub.

Keep the pictures coming and nice welding. I can stick two pieces together but it "sure ain't purdy"!

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Info

Some of this is old but it may be useful.. I cannot upload manual due to size.

Attachments

• 12 v to 24v conversion.doc
    50.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Wiring Numbers for trailer.doc
    126.5 KB · Views: 10
  • FYI on M416 shocks.doc
    25 KB · Views: 21
  • MS52144-AT%20M416A1%20Drawing[1].pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 10
  • M416 FAQ & Parts Cross Reference.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 30

Forum statistics