Door sealing help

hidefxj

Observer
Hey guys,
I'm getting to the point where I need to think about putting doors on my trailer build and I am still weighing my options.
My issue is that the frame is 2x2 square tube and I don't really want to do 2x2 for the door frame with a steel lip on the inside with weather stripping. Seems like this would create alot of extra weight.
Any ideas for a light weight sealing door?

Of course, pictures never hurt :)

Thanks!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
2x2 what? Aluminum, steel, I can't see how a simple door frame for a door adds significant weight compared the rest of the frame. Don't know what the outside is skinned in either what's the recess. You could just build up and off set plywood making a solid door, weight difference may not be much. Weather striping sue doesn't weigh much. I'd rather have a secure door than foam covered in PVC and a light wood frame. Just don't see it as a concern unless it's the difficulty of working in metal, no harder than other frame work.

hidefxj

Observer
Frame is 2x2 steel. Then I need to build a door frame and skin it.
I have read that some build in an inner lip and line it with weatherstripping.
Just seeing what other options were out there that were light weight, durable and attractive.

hidefxj

Observer
See here 1/2" stip steel and foam sealing, in some places I used angle- others just strip

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ld-thread-consolidated?highlight=consolidated

Haha......I followed your build back in the day! Nice job!
I guess my issue is that the frame is 2x2 square tubing and the recessed door frame, weather stripping and door inner lip/stop needs to be no more than 2" total so as not to protrude.

What is the width of that small angle? If I can get 3/4" angle, 1/4" weather stripping and use 1x1 tubing for the door frame then I should be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior