GPS mapping software

mcieplinski

Adventurer
Hi All,

I would like to use my Ipad (original) for GPS navigation (e.g. using Motion X GPS) but was wondering what is a good software (for mac) that I could use for creating routes (e.g. I have a route description with gps waypoints from a book on the basis of which I would like to create a gps route). I am planning on using it only for offroad trails.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

MIchal

H0LLYW00D

Observer
Would you be able to use google maps and export the waypoints? I have Motion X GPS HD but have yet to play with routes but is my next thing before I leave on my next trip at the end of the month

RobRed

Explorer
Motion x supports import (export too) of gpx and Kml files. It's done via iTunes for bulk loads or via email for singles.

robgendreau

Explorer
You could look at gpshuntfish.com; it's Trimble's foray into apps and route planning. They've got a rather nice web-based application that allows you to create and sync routes, but it might be part of their "Elite" subscription (about $10/yr, but they have a free trial I think). It had a nifty "snap to" feature that enabled me to draw routes quickly IIRC.

MacGPS Pro does it as well, as a stand-alone application, but you'd need maps as well. Routebuddy is also available for the Mac.

There's actually probably more available on the iPad itself; if you search my posts you'll see some info from me and others about the premium feature in Motion X HD that allows use of many more maps and aerial photos; with that you should be able to plan any route anywhere and not even leave Motion X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier