2011 Schutt Industries LTT 1 1/2 Ton Trailer Chassis based Adventure Trailer Build

SamM

Adventurer
2011 Schutt Industries Military LTT-HD Trailer Rebuild

Just purchased a Schutt Industries Light Tactical Trailer/Light Quiet Generator (LTT LQG) to use as the basis for my new build. This trailer uses a very similar frame to the one that Schutt Industries uses in their XVenture XV-1 and XV-2 Adventure Trailers. However, I paid considerably less ($992) than the $12,000 that Schutt asks for the XVenture. Of course, my trailer isn't finished yet, and doesn't have all the goodies either. So, my costs will only go up significantly. The trailer came with 8-lug CUCV truck wheels. These will need to be changed to match the Jeep Rubicon wheels. I have a call into Schutt to check parts availability for 5 on 5 hubs and brakes. They haven't called me back yet. The recovery is planned for next Thursday. Pictures when I pick it up and as I move forward. The GovLiq site will not let me upload the auction pictures.

The new Schutt LTT trailer may stay camo just to be a little different. My plan is to strip the trailer down to the frame and build a new box for it. It was built in 2011. It looks to have some light damage to the aluminum body. It was previously used by the military to haul a generator. Can't wait to pick it up and get started!

My new Overlanding vehicle is a 2013 Jeep Sahara with the MOAB package. The Jeep is nicely outfitted with the 3.6L PentaStar engine, the 5-speed automatic trans but unfortunately has the 3.21 highway gearing. The heated leather seat and remote start are very nice though. I don't plan many upgrades for the Jeep.

SamM

image.jpg

My tow vehicle
image.jpg

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Sounds exciting...

I've been checking out there frames lately as well..seem bomb proof.

Looking forward to the progress...good luck!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Curb weight is 1280 pounds.
What is the jeep rated for?

Attachments

• PU-797A%201.jpg
    PU-797A%201.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 285
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 5,259
  • hummer.jpg
    hummer.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 5,256

SamM

Adventurer
The curb weight on my trailer is listed as 1175#. Stock it came with 37" tires and HUMVEE wheels. That's heavy stuff. I don't plan to use any of that. There's still quite a bit that can be cut off it. With the MOPAR Class III hitch, the Jeep is rated for 3500#.

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
I bought the trailer from the Government Liquidators website. They actually sell government surplus property. They sell surplus in an auction format, so you need to sign up and go through the complete process. There is a 10% buyers fee and sales tax will be collected, so you need to remember that when bidding. It was a fairly painless process for me. I bid $1000 and the auction went to $992. My total was $1091.20. There is no sales tax in Delaware.

Putting the trailer on a diet is a big part of my plan. I think there is a lot that can be done with it. This trailer will be very different. The batteries, solar charger, refrigerator, hot water heater, a water tank and a shower will be located in the trailer. Keeping everything in the trailer safe and dry will be top priority.

SamM

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It is either a Dexter TorFlex or Alko rubber ride axle, you should be able to get the hubs from them I would think. Or you can change the axle out to one with the drop and hubs you want. I would not remove what has proven to be the world wide standard for military trailers.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It does not look like a Dexter from the angle that is shown. Alko used to be a lot larger. But if you can find the manufacturer of the axle it will be much cheaper than going through Schutt, as they will be ordering them from the manufacturer to sell to you. It looks like it will be a lot of fun working with it though.

Chili

Explorer
interesting...the lunette on these looks like it needs an articulating pintle hitch too?

I know the pintle hitch on the Military Humvees do, so it looks like you would need to account for that for twist if using it as is..

Humvee style:
pintlecloseup.jpg

Looking further, the larger M105 trailers that go behind Duece's and 5 tons appear to have a swivel lunette so the Pintle Hitch on those trucks are probably fixed.

It's been 16 years since I have been around either, so I'm not 100% on the bigger trucks.

Last edited:

E Dr. P

Observer
Yes you'll want a rotating pintle for towing a m1101/m1102 off road. On m105s the hitch can be flipped around for height differences but does not swivel, deuces and 5 tons have a rotating pintle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles