New Lock 'N' Roll Hitch

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I picked up a new lock 'n' roll hitch to replace the original one I've had since 2006. The vertical axis pin on the old one was starting to show a little wear and while I haven't had any issues with it binding up I've seen a few trip reports here that indicate others have.

I ordered mine direct from the folks at Lock 'N' Roll, https://locknroll.com/ in preparation for OVX13 and a trip into Canyon Lands afterward. I opted for the adjustable bracket for my solution and had them weld it up so there is no projection below the main tube that goes into the receiver. The hitch seems to be the thing that drags the most on the trails so keeping it as high as possible was my goal.

Photo the new hitch (above) and the old one (below).

I really like the open slot that the trailer side drops into for hook up. There is good visibility for hook up and it can rest on the upper flat surface if you can get it close and then rock it a bit and it drops in.

Photo of the hitch installed on the jeep.

Testing the ability to turn 90 degrees, or close to it.

Photo making a K-turn on the trail just past Teapot rock on the way out to the Doll House in the Canyon lands Maze district. A spot that has done in a few of the old model Lock 'N' Roll hitches.

And a sequence from one of the obstacles at OVX 13, running with the trailer while participating in the course on the use of lockers. Needed front and back to get over the hill. The easy part was going down but hoping the trailer wasn't coming in through the back window.

I'm happy with the new hitch and look forward to putting it to good use in the future.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
That's interesting... Mine is reversed. The female part is on the trailer, and the male part is attached to the adjustable receiver arm. It works out well, and kinda makes more sense. That way you can back the truck up underneath the female end, and then drop it down on the male end.

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
^WeeJeep has it installed as the manufacturer designed it.
Your trailer tool box looks very close to your spare on that departure, like its fitting into the void of the wheel, but if you were turning the box might hit the tire? Its a pretty extreme situation though

Last edited:

BoarderMX

Observer
That's interesting... Mine is reversed. The female part is on the trailer, and the male part is attached to the adjustable receiver arm. It works out well, and kinda makes more sense. That way you can back the truck up underneath the female end, and then drop it down on the male end.

So then is the slot on the trailer side facing up or down? From your description of lowering the trailer onto the male end it sounds like the slot faces down, that would put all of the weight on the gate then yes? Mine is like weejeep's with the female side on the Jeep and male on the trailer.

Nice trailer and rig BTW, those AT trailers are set up great.

brentbba

Explorer
I like the new design. My current lock n roll is set up exactly as your old model is too.

What's the advantage to the new riser set up you have?

huskyfargo

Adventurer
So then is the slot on the trailer side facing up or down? From your description of lowering the trailer onto the male end it sounds like the slot faces down, that would put all of the weight on the gate then yes? Mine is like weejeep's with the female side on the Jeep and male on the trailer.

Nice trailer and rig BTW, those AT trailers are set up great.

The slot is facing down. I've pulled my trailer coast-to-coast without any problems.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I like the new design. My current lock n roll is set up exactly as your old model is too.

What's the advantage to the new riser set up you have?

It locates the center of the trailer pin about 5" above the center of the receiver tube. Of the current available options that looked like the highest I could go.

huskyfargo

Their web site shows all the "hooks" on the vehicle side and "pins" on the trailer side. Don't see why it wouldn't work out the way you use it. For me the geometry of reversing it would put the hitch into the spare tire in situations like the hill decent in the photos. As I have it now the pivot point is as high as possible and just behind the tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles