Can someone explain to me the hoopla over disc brakes on low end bikes??

jackalope

I live in Seattle. If you have ever ridden down a busy street, on a rainy day, with a bus on one side and high curb on the other, the value of disc brakes becomes immediately apparent. And that's just on pavement. Now try the same thing in a steep, muddy chute where if you fall, dying is one potential outcome. Then there is increased rim and tire life, cleaner hands when fixing flats, and the aforementioned still working with a bent rim. To me the only downside is with hydraulics, which are mostly impossible to fix in the field.

In the next 10 or so years, a regular entry level bike will have disc brakes and an internally geared hub. Most shops around here, including the one I work at, have mid to upper level city bikes equipped like this already. The manufacturers will want to simplify their assembly lines and inventory needs, just like with 1 1/8 headsets and 31.8 clamp diameters. This will help keep the final cost to the consumer down. What's funny is that even with bikes being made in China, they aren't cheap enough, so we are now seeing bikes being made in even stranger places, like Vietnam and Cambodia. Not Wal-Mart bikes either. Good brands like Kona. Just look for the sticker, it's there somewhere. Sorry I'm rambling. In summation, disc brakes are worthwhile.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I gotta say, $200 is still a lot of money, and when you have a family of 4 or 5 that suddenly want to get into biking, that adds up pretty quick.
I don't disagree. It boils down to this: Is it better to wait, be patient, save a tad more, and buy the better bike? I say yes. It's really a matter of the $450 bike being a poor value, even at a lesser price.

By the way, so far we're talking retail prices. Never pay retail. Be patient, look for the sales, and buy wise.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I gotta say, $200 is still a lot of money, and when you have a family of 4 or 5 that suddenly want to get into biking, that adds up pretty quick.

I can't imagine outfitting a family...if I was I would be all over craigslist...the price of bikes has skyrocketed in the last couple of years...while value bikes can still be had for around 500 bucks...I would argue 1000.00 is the entry for a bike that will be durable for more than the occasional ride around town/bike paths

Components wear out fast with heavy use...especially in eastern mud...

Even out west here where it is usually dry I usually replace two or three cassettes a year on my GFs and my bikes...(chains more often)...chainrings go too...

In order to get those durable components on off the shelf builds...2k is the new norm...

However there is a point where the exponential price rise only makes sense if you are a sponsored pro...or getting the bike at cost like Flounder:ylsmoke:

For example we just got back from 70.3 worlds in LasVegas...

Felt was there with their new IA Tri bike...sexy as hell with full DI2...mavic carbones...Price...wait for it...14K...I cringed last year when their flagship DA was priced around 10K...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
But back on the topic of rim brakes...

IMO one of the most important reasons why disc are superior is not having to replace rims from braking surface wear...this goes for pads also...

I have some old wheels around that the braking surface is thin as paper all ditched out from years of NW mud...

The only bikes I still own with rim brakes are my cyclocross bikes...while new models are switching over to discs...I am a holdout for traditional reasons...and I don't race much anymore...

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I can't imagine outfitting a family...if I was I would be all over craigslist...the price of bikes has skyrocketed in the last couple of years.

Great point. I spent an hour on Craigslist Vancouver last night and saw some amazing deals. For example a Brodie ladies bike with factory refurbished components for $150. That's an $1100 bike when new according to the manufacturers website. I think I found a Xmas present for my wife...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Great point. I spent an hour on Craigslist Vancouver last night and saw some amazing deals. For example a Brodie ladies bike with factory refurbished components for $150. That's an $1100 bike when new according to the manufacturers website. I think I found a Xmas present for my wife...

My bike obsession reached new heights when I lived in Seattle...the bike culture there (I assume Vancouver is similar) is crazy...CL posts pop up like every 20 seconds...

madmax718

Explorer
Wearing out a rim isn't usually a problem for most people. just depends on how many miles you ride. If you ride that much, you probably want higher end stuff anyways- and will probably have another set of wheels.

replacing cogs and chains every year, isn't common place, even out east here, where its muddy and dirty. Other than being off the brake subject, if you don't maintain and clean your bike you will have the same issues with your brakes (rim wear from rocks in the pads)or premature disk wear (again, from rocks in the pads).The biggest and most single advantage to disk brakes I can see, after having done numerous years of racing and trail riding, is more predictable handling (it doesn't change nearly as much when wet as in dry), faster tire changes (not having to align the brakes/open the brakes up to clear the tire), and ability to clear substantially fatter tires.2.25 we're pretty much fat tires back then. If you tweak a rim you could still technically ride on it, without the brakes jacking you up, and also no issues with torn side walls from brake rub. Happens when your in a rush.

Disk brakes stay cleaner, the mud isn't spinning at the middle, its on the edges. I've had so much mud caked on my fork that the wheel wasn't spinning.. and my brakes sucked big monkey fish balls. Still, you expect it, and you adjust for it. For a marginal cost of 40 bucks at time of purchase, I'd get it. But I won't spend the money to retro an old bike for it.

Road bikes using disk brakes- i can see it. but not for race bikes. Maybe for touring bikes. We'll see!

redneck44

Adventurer
Well I've gone from 8" travel disc braked race bikes to a rigid single speed rim braked 29" BMX, and enjoying every minute of it. From waiting weeks and travelling 100's of miles to "have fun" on my bike, I can now just go out the door and enjoy the local terrain. I don't miss the discs one little bit.

summerprophet

Adventurer
Brakes have one purpose.
The average Disc brakes does a FAR better job than the average V-brake. This is one technology I have fully embraced.

They are cleaner, require WAY less maintenance (I sooooo hated toeing in V-Brakes), and are easilly upgradable to better stopping power. I have 165 mm Shimano rotors that stop as well as V-brakes did in the dry, and 8 inch Hayes, that can pretty much stop time itself.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I don't disagree. It boils down to this: Is it better to wait, be patient, save a tad more, and buy the better bike? I say yes. It's really a matter of the $450 bike being a poor value, even at a lesser price.

By the way, so far we're talking retail prices. Never pay retail. Be patient, look for the sales, and buy wise.

Or buy used and skip the bike shops all together, the market is flooded with nice high end bike that are a few years old (example the nice ExPo built Salsa that was a deal). I have friends that own small brick and mortar bike and ski shops and I just will not buy new bikes or skis, and they no that because I'm not a lawyer or a dentist. Like all things study and research what you want this gives you time to save and be patient for the right deal to come along.

Discs are better just skip the low end bikes and buy a better bike on sale or a few years used.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94