What size tires.....on an M416 ?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Expo,

I need some suggestions in regard to trailer tire size. The current size is a 295/75/16 Nitto TG mounted on a Toyota FZJ80 16x8 with backspacing that works on the 4R but not on the trailer so much as they stick out a bit. Matching wheels and tire look cool but I really don’t need the 295’s on the trailer. The trailer is sprung over and allows decent ground clearance w/o a spare.

The spare on the trailer also matches the entire setup and is just plain too big to be under mounted under the trailer, though I do have a spare tire crank from a 4Runner mounted under there. I was thinking with to a 265/70/17 (have a set of Toyota wheels in 17”). The 17” wheels have more backspacing and would suck the wheels in slightly as would narrower tires, before finally fitting wider fenders.

I tow the trailer with my 4Runner most of the time but for trip where we DO NOT go off-road the Sequoia pulls it and it looks silly with the big tires. I have set up camp with both sizes and the Camping lab Trailer tent works well with either.

The question remains same size as one tow vehicle or the other 295/75/16 or 265/70/17, I’m on the verge of ruling the larger tires out and even in a 255/85 because they are cost prohibitive and offer no additional advantage.

Thank You

Aaron

COONASS

Observer
How about a 235/85/16? Relatively cost effective. Height is close to the vehicle tires. Nice and skinny.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well after a good deal of time comparing tires actual sizes on the manufactures websites I chose Kenda Klever M/T KR29 Mud Tires 255/75R17 they come in right at 32x10. They were very economical at $260 for the pair, and free shipping. I use the Kenda Klever AT on my dually work truck and they are a decent tire or the money.

I forgot to mention the 16's I have must be refinished as corrosion has taken its toll.

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
With 295's

With 265's
..............I have no photographic documentation of 265's on my trailer......but I did have them on there for a short trip.

Kenda Klever MT

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Not until I determine the finished width of the tire on the trailer. I may have forgotten to mention in this thread that the axle width ordered a few years ago may have been to wide fhan or my purposes. As the trailer sits now with the FZJ80 wheel and 295's it is about 1/4" narrower than the track of the 4Runner.

Wheels I'm using for the 255's

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
255 vs. 37"

2C310CCC-8AEC-478F-9742-3113904459E2-5534-00000675925F3C4D_zps328cd73d.jpg

rockwood

Adventurer
Why not get wider wheel arches and go with tires to match the truck?
I know one of the current m416 style trailer builders does those things.

Just forget who...

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Rockwood,

I tow the trailer with two different vehicles, a stock Sequoia and a modded 4Runner. I had matching tires and wheels, tires were getting old and dry rotten (previously on the 4R for 55k miles). So I was going for middle if the road size bigger that 31" smaller than 33".

I have talked to one if the newer M416 builders and they said the per unit cost at this time was too high. As soon as I find a metal shop with a brake that can match the ends ill just get a newer wider fender.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles