Kid's entertainment

pookie

Observer
So my family and I love to go camping. Recently my 3 year old met up with my buddy and his son for a trip as well. I'm looking for additional ways to entertain the kiddos when we are camping. I'm not talking about normal camping stuff like setting up camp, fishing, campfires. I'm talking about those times once camp when grown ups are tired but kids still have energy to burn. We usually have some of the following:

Corn hole
Wiffle ball
Stick contest (see who can find the most sticks)
Toy trucks and dirt

I'm looking for more gamish type ideas.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Horseshoes & stakes pack small...
marshmellow blowguns are fun

put up some paracord between trees and make some ballon/straw rockets (they inflate them then release)
get some of the old style plastic film canisters (walgreens) and add water with a part tab of alkaseltzer and watch them pop up/off
foam swords and cardboard shield and let them battle
magnifying glasses are fun for finding & looking at bugs

nwoods

Expedition Leader
SlackLine

IMG_1287-XL.jpg

IMG_1292-XL.jpg

Frisbee Golf (using trees):
IMG_1303-XL.jpg

Last edited:

kenaiking

Observer
X2 for the slack line. My kids also enjoy the ice cream maker ball and collecting bugs.

The kid in me enjoys throwing the foot ball or frisbee with the wife :)

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Our boy is only 3 but loves to just play around the camp or go for short hikes with us. When it rains the jumper box and portable DVD player sure come in handy! He has been on his 3rd UP Overland trip this past August and loves playing with all the other kids too. One of the moms (bless her soul!) likes to put together things for all the kids to do too like games and such.

Our runt (on the left) and a couple others tossing stones into Lake Superior.
1149457_4581459995106_309965788_o.jpg

Giovanni Ground

SlackLine

IMG_1287-XL.jpg

IMG_1292-XL.jpg

Frisbee Golf (using trees):
IMG_1303-XL.jpg

What a wonderful idea to have fun with kids.
These types of games are very much effective for kids and they can easily burn their energy by playing such games.
Racing ,Rope pulling between kids are also goog games during kids campagin.

INSAYN

Adventurer
We did a lot of these when my kiddo's were little to keep them entertained.

-Rock hounding (looking for rocks).
-Rock painting.
-Rock stacking.
-Walkie Talkies.
-Green plastic Army men, and rubber band wars. Line them up in any fashion, and attack the other team by shooting rubber bands at them.
-Simon Says.
-Scavenger hunt.
-Duck, Duck, Goose.
-Bubbles.
-Limbo.

PA Slammer

Observer
Army bag; we've got a stuff sack filled with military items. Their favorite is the camo face paint. Any wal mart, army surplus, etc... has plenty of fun things. Mt three yr old loves the little orange shovel! Too funny, I'll tell him when he gets older what they're actually used for. Parachute cord, web belts, you name it. Often cheap items and can be found at flea markets and discount stores.

PA Slammer

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I have been camping with my kids since they were toddlers. Honestly, they don't need to be entertained. Sometimes you can just let them roam around your campsite (monitored of course!). My two boys will gravitate towards any water spigot and start to build dams.

I heard a famous radio talk show host explaining why kids don't need more programs. Kids usually have very short attention spans. Bring them to a play ground and you will see it in full force. They run from one activity to the next. It all seems so random. But not to the kids. They seem to have their playing exit strategies very well planned out.

My wife used to make up a treasure bag for each of our boys that included crayons, note pad, Hot Wheel cars, magnifying glasses, mini flashlights, coins, stickers etc.

We usually bring along bug catchers which they still delight in at ages 11 and 13.

Junior Ranger programs were always a big hit. They spent hours filling out their notebooks with the requirements to get their new Jr. Ranger badges.

Let their creative juices flow by letting them create their own entertainment. Give them a few ideas and let them experiment with what you give them.

If you have boys and there is dirt nearby, you are in luck. Give them a spoon, small shovel, or a stick and they will have the time of their lives for hours. Never mind about them getting dirty. Clothing can be washed.

I still remember my 2 boys digging for "big fat juicy worms" that were supposed to be used for fishing. They had more fun digging for the worms than fishing. It was an Epiphany for me. While they like copying adults, they don't always enjoy what we think they like.

Here is a photo of my 2 boys completing a Junior Ranger program in Utah.

bgzach-utah-arch.jpg

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I forgot to mention, keep your activities simple. Let the kids invent their own fun. My kids seem to like hide and go seek or tag. As long as there are other kids around, they can play tag for a long time.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
We started doing a little geocaching with our daughter. We call it "treasure hunting" and she loves it.

blkdvll

I agree with what Coolfeet said. I have a six year old boy and let him get creative. One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is bikes. My son will ride for hours around the campsite. Also, I try and make the experience educational and flood him with nature facts about plants and animals around, the weather, or at night - the stars/solar system/universe, knots, fire etc.. My son loves that stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94