Lexus GX470 Expedition build

boo471

Adventurer
Nice work. If you need another person lifting stuff, let me know, I'll lend a hand.

Thanks.

Well I need to weld on some tabs for lights on the roof rack soon. So that needs to come if the roof. And bumper build is around the corner. You bring muscles and brains and I'll serv beer.

boo471

Adventurer
Dual batter setup

So I finished my tray/bracket for the AUX battery yesterday and installed it together with a heck of a lot 2 gauge wire. It was a pretty tight fit to get the AUX battery So now all my accessories are hooked up to the AUX instead of the starter battery and the bluesea relay takes care of charging/connect/disconnect between the two with a manual switch in the cab. Turned out pretty darn good.

I'll post some pictures after I get home from work.

//Marten

boo471

Adventurer
Auxiliary batter installation pictures.

As promised here are some pictures from my installation. I forgot to take pictures of my custom tray before installing it. I'll take it out and show how it looks in the near future.

Overlook of engine bay.
image_zpsfd2dbb1f.jpg

It was a tight fit when it came to height but I could have installed a longer battery. There is a pipe going to the rear AC that I guess FJs and 4runners are missing. This thing is in the middle of the way of where all the bracket that you can buy mounts. My bracket fits right above it. If anyone is interested in a auxiliary battery bracket for their GX let me know.
image_zps21560b8b.jpg

This is the "birds nest" of wires. Im planning on building a custom bracket for this area to clean it up and to be able to install all the relays that I need. I also have a Stinger Marine 150amp circuit breaker switch on the way to use instead of the ANL fuse.
image_zps6ae78296.jpg

Last edited:

DanKunz

Adventurer
I am interested in an AUX box, since you managed a larger battery. My brother built one, but it was for smaller one.

Bretthn

Explorer
That turned out great. Wiring for the new battery and terminals looks nice and clean. You just need to get those terminal covers now.

boo471

Adventurer
Custom fridge mounting bracket.

I had some time over today and got started with building the custom bracket/tray to be able to mount my fridge (Yeah I have no life :wings: ).

Since my rear storage unit is pretty big/high my fridge is near impossible to get in to without either lifting it down from its position on top of the storage unit or buy/build a slider that can lower the fridge. I neither feel like spending the money on it or the time to build one so I decided to mount the fridge on the passenger side of the back seat. Its only my wife, my dog Bobo and I that travels in the truck anyways so I have no need for the entire back seat.

In this position we are able to easily reach the fridge both from the front seat while driving and when we are camping. But there is no good way of securing the fridge in this area so I decided to build a bracket/tray that I can mount to the back seat mounting points and then I'll mount the fridge to the tray instead.

Passenger side back seat removed.
image_zps8760053f.jpg

Started building the frame.
image_zps3781c9dd.jpg

Bracket/tray more or less done. Whats left to do is to decide on the strap down system to use for the fridge and design the mounting points for the straps.
image_zpse31491c8.jpg

Here it is mounted in the back.
image_zps892955cb.jpg

Mounting points in the front. The frame wasn't wide enough so had to fill it with a wiiiiiide bead which melted the edge of the corner. Not pretty but strong enough.
image_zpsa59a38e5.jpg

Mounting points in the rear.
image_zpse9f67ecf.jpg

The controls for the fridge is in the trunk on the passenger side. I have a volt meter to check the status on the AUX battery as well.
image_zps0de34510.jpg

///Marten

Attachments

• image_zps5fdde03e.jpg
    image_zps5fdde03e.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 133

Lecoq

Explorer
First of all, it looks great, I like everything you've done so far. Wish you were my neighbor!

Can you make an extra battery tray for me? That's all I have left to get before I get my DBS. :elkgrin:

boo471

Adventurer
I am interested in an AUX box, since you managed a larger battery. My brother built one, but it was for smaller one.

First of all, it looks great, I like everything you've done so far. Wish you were my neighbor!

Can you make an extra battery tray for me? That's all I have left to get before I get my DBS. :elkgrin:

I figured a few people would want this. Let me take it out of the truck and take some pictures of it so you get a better idea of how it looks/works. And I'll need to look in to material cost and time to make it. Doing several at the time will be a lot quicker then doing them one by one. So if you know anyone else that wants one let me know.

I'll post some pictures later today.

///Marten

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior