Eezi-Awn K9 Roof Racks, Accessories, Applications, Q&A

greynolds

Observer
Paul - Are you aware of anyone installing one of the K9 racks on a 2013+ Range Rover (the L405, not a Sport)? I realize I would need to go with the custom roof rack option and drill holes in the rails to mount them to the roof. I've got a 2014 HSE with the panoramic roof. The panoramic roof is the main concern as that portion of the roof is all glass. Where the OEM roof rails mount is similar to Chris Cordes's 2008 Range Rover Sport. On each side of the roof , there's a trim piece running the full length that covers up 5 threaded inserts for the rails. That trim piece would get replaced with one with cutouts that provide access to the threaded inserts.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hello,

Thanks for asking about this application. Though we haven't tried one yet on your model, I believe it would be a great application. I hadn't had a chance to write up anything on Chris' Range Rover Sport yet. His was a first off application as well, and I have to say that it worked out perfectly. We used a combination of LR4 rail, (4) 40mm Feet front and middle, (2) 65mm feet for the back, and a 1250mm x 1600mm platform. The feet combination kept the profile low in the front and cleared the antenna in the back. Here are a couple photos I took at the shop when completed.

photo 1.JPGphoto 3.JPG

If your L405 has the same track down the sides, that would be the perfect way to mount this system. You may need small spacers at each mounting point to keep the rail from dipping at those points, but that is easy enough. We didn't use any on Chris' Sport. The rail and platform length may be able to change to larger sizes. Can you take a couple measurements for us to see what will work? Our rails are available in 1600mm (63"), 1800mm (72"), and 2000mm (79"). Platforms in the 1250mm width (50") range are 1600mm (63"), 2000mm (79"), and 2200mm (87"). Please measure the track length a few inches longer at each end than the furthest mounting holes. That will give us an idea of what rail to use. Also get an overall length of your roofline, windshield to open hatch. That will guide us to a proper length platform. We can put together a great roof rack system with these parameters.

Thanks,

Last edited:

greynolds

Observer
Sounds good, Paul and thanks for getting back to me. It may take me a few days to get those measurements. The 1 catch is that I'd prefer not to remove the trim finisher that covers the mounting holes until I'm sure I'm going to do this as I'm not sure how easy they are to remove and re-install. But I've got installation instructions that show the procedure for installing the factory rails with pictures that show where those holes are, so I should be able to come up with a decent estimate.

Equipt

That will be fine. I will be up to my eyelids in Overland Expo until early next week anyway. Jess Stuhler, the owner of Eezi-Awn is flying in for the show. I will chat with him and see if he has had a chance to install one on the L405 yet too. The rail is 1-1/4" wide at the base. You can check that spec as well, to see if it will fit well over the track you have.

Cheers,

greynolds

Observer
Paul,

I just took some measurements and have attached a diagram of the roof layout.

The red strips are the roof rail "finishers", which in stock form are just a solid trim piece that covers up the holes for the OEM roof rack (see the photo of the actual roof). These would get replaced with parts that have cutouts for access to the holes for the OEM roof rack. There are 5 holes on each side, 1 roughly in the center and 2 near each end. The total length of these strips is about 79.5". Approximately 5" at the front slops sharply down to the windshield and 1.5-2" of clearance is needed for the rear hatch to open, leaving a usable length of 72-72.5". All 5 holes are within that 72-72.5" area. These strips are 1.75" wide.

The section marked "Hatch Area" is the top section of the rear hatch, which is essentially part of the roof, and comes forward a bit when the hatch opens.

The orange block is the satellite radio antenna.

The big white area in the middle is essentially a big window in the roof, part of which is a sunroof.

The 2nd photo is a picture of the actual roof looking from the back of the vehicle. Unfortunately, I wasn't up high enough to show everything, but should give a good enough idea.

I also measured the width from outside edge to outside edge of the trim finishers and came up with 51.5" in the center and 51.25" on the 2 ends, so since the finishers are 1.75" wide, it would be 49.5" - 49.75" center to center, assuming the threaded holes are centered underneath the finishers.

Given these dimensions, the 72" rails and 63" platform would probably be the only combination that would work. The 63" rails might not be long enough to get access to all 5 threaded holes and I think the 79" platform would just be too long as it would need to extend an inch or 2 in front of the windshield to leave clearance for the rear hatch to open. If they had a 72" platform, that would probably fit perfectly.

RoofDiagram.jpg

Roof Overall.jpg

Last edited:

j_h_cole

Observer
Hey Paul,

Very interested in an application for my 2015 Double Cab Tacoma. I've searched and searched and can't find a single picture of it being done. Did you set up the X.O. guys with one on their Tacoma when you set up their T4R's for their Central America trip? Curious to see how the install went on the Tacoma, as it seems pretty straightforward to mount the rails on top the gutters, and then go with the 1250x1400mm platform. (Also I don't see that size platform on Equipt's site, is it a custom order?)

Thanks for the help!

Hi Pierre,

Yes, there are several options available for the Tacoma. It depends on the configuration of the truck, double cab or extra cab.

Double Cab

For the double cab model, I would suggest using a 1250mm (50") wide platform 1400mm (55") long. It would be set up with a pair of 1400mm rail, drilled and mounted to the shell at your own preference. And I would use 4 feet to attach the platform to the rail. This could be used on the cab of the vehicle as well. The rail would be drilled to match the OEM locations if your truck has them, or you could use rubber wellnuts to attach the rail if you are not skiddish about drilling your roof. Here is a photo of Eezi-Awn's double cab Hilux with the double rack configuration. It would be the same on the Tacoma.

View attachment 188515

Extra Cab

With a little longer bed on this model, I would suggest installing a bit longer platform and rail. We will offer a 1250mm x 1600mm platfrom (50" x 63"), using 1600mm rail and 6 feet. Drill and mount the rail as necessary. I would suggest at least 3-4 locations on any rail. More if the rail is longer, but no more than 8 on any size. Sorry, I don't have a photo of this on a Tacoma. But it would be the same set up as the 5th Gen 4Runner we have shown in this thread earlier with the 1600mm platform.

Cheers,

Stifler

Observer
I know I am resurrecting the dead but does anyone know if a GOBI ladder will work with a 2m rack (specifically on a 5th gen 4runner)

4Rainier

I know I am resurrecting the dead but does anyone know if a GOBI ladder will work with a 2m rack (specifically on a 5th gen 4runner)
There's a guy on Instagram, ridet4r (probably here but don't know his handle) who is running it with the 2.2m K9 without any problems. 2 should be even easier.

Equipt

The 2.2M would be incredibly tight. I have one of the Gobi ladders in house and could not get it to fit because you need to move the rack forward to clear the height of the ladder with the hatch open. There wasn't enough rail at the front end to move it forward enough. But the 2M would be a good fit. That gives you an extra 8" of rail to play with. I think that would work out great.

Cheers,

RiDE

Observer
There's a guy on Instagram, ridet4r (probably here but don't know his handle) who is running it with the 2.2m K9 without any problems. 2 should be even easier.

Sorry for just seeing this now. My Gobi ladder does interfere with the 2.2m K9 rack. It opens enough for me not to hit my head on it so i haven't really bothered with trying to "fix" it. It could be an issue for some though. Besides that, I absolutely love my K9 rack.

RiDE

Observer

Sorry for seeing this so late. The 2m will work fine with the Gobi ladder on a 5th gen T4R.

4Rainier

Sorry for just seeing this now. My Gobi ladder does interfere with the 2.2m K9 rack. It opens enough for me not to hit my head on it so i haven't really bothered with trying to "fix" it. It could be an issue for some though. Besides that, I absolutely love my K9 rack.
Thanks for the correction. Hope I didn't get anyone's hopes up too much!

3cTactical

Can the K9 rack on a 2016 4Runner still support one of the bottom mounted tables - even with the shark fin antenna? Do you just have to mount the rack up high enough that you can still get the table under there or is there another way to go about it?

Equipt

Hello,

It is not possible to mount a table underneath the K9 rack without relocating the shark fin antenna. The 65mm feet will clear the antenna for the rack to mount up, but Eezi-Awn doesn't make a foot tall enough to leave the shark fin there. It would look rather odd up that high as well. Here are a couple photos of the table under the Equipt 4Runner with the antenna relocated.

IMG_0224.JPGIMG_0220.JPGIMG_0216.JPG

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior