Awning without roofrack

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I mounted my Foxwing on Thule load bars. Eventually I want a rack, but this works just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1378866169.942843.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1378866169.942843.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 193
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1378866210.910647.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1378866210.910647.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 195

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Thanks! Yeah, 1964 M416 trailer. I don't see a way an awning will work with a soft top and no rack. Well, a metal bracket off the windshield frame, and another coming up from the rear bumper, but it might not be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

RubiChris

Observer
I have been wanting an awning but I'm not sure if I want/need /can afford a roofrack.

I assume you attached the Tule load bars to fiberglass gutter on the roof from your photos.

How long have you done this? Have the gutters held up?

Anyone else have any experience with this?

I thought I'd read that they didn't recommend attaching anything to the fiberglass gutters so I am curious how this has worked out.

Thanks,

Chris

I mounted my Foxwing on Thule load bars. Eventually I want a rack, but this works just fine.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Chris, it has worked great...zero issues. And because of the added pivot part of the Foxwing, it is considerably heavier than most awnings. My awning has been mounted for several thousands of miles, and recently completed a trip from Seattle to Alvord Desert, Broken Arrow, Mojave Rd, several dirt roads between all of those places, and eventually back to Seattle. Again, no issues with cracking, deforming, etc. it's a solid set up.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1378922978.797446.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1378922978.797446.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 161

RubiChris

Observer
Great! Looks like I'll be in the market for an awning. Did yours come with mounting hardware or did you have to buy/fab something?

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
You have buy the mounting hardware separate, because there are different brackets for Thule bars, Yakima bars, Rhino bars, etc. I think they were $25 for the brackets. I flipped mine upside down so the awning sat a bit lower. Otherwise, on those tall Thule towers, the awning will sit way high up there. I highly recommend the Foxwing. Outstanding awning and a ton of coverage.

RubiChris

Observer
I did a quick scan. Where did you find the brackets for $25? Everything I have seen was significantly more expensive. Thanks for letting me bug you so much. Much appreciation.

IKE2013

Observer
I plan on using the RR light bar and the Bestop Overhead rack. I just purchased to haul kayaks. With the top down use the roll bars. I will rig something up when it warms up. Although I did put the bar on yesterday and it was 15 deg. There are advantages and disadvantages to the tops, depending on your lifestyle. I found a steal on Amazon for the RR light bar for $155 new. Couldnt pass it up.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Anybody try one of these on a Jeep? The Bus Depot - Ezy awning

a7905_2.jpg

Price is very attractive. $119

IKE2013

Observer
Well the issue we "softies" are running into, is no where to mount it with a soft top. That would be great for a hard top.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
There are a number of roof racks and cargo cages for soft top Jeeps out there. Some are crazy expensive, but for a simple setup with minimal load bars an options you could get some load carrying ability and a place to mount your awning?

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/14.htm

14_1.jpg

Not for everyone, but it sure opens up the options!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior