Cummins: Getrag vs NV4500

JohnsD90

Unfortanetley I was driving home from school tonight and i hear bang followed by a grinding in my 93 Cummins W250 4x4 5 Speed, and now i am in need of a new tranny. Should i get another Getrag or should move up to an NV4500? I know each have their issues, this getrag 3rd would grind if you didnt know how to shift, and i think this is the 2nd tranny that has been in the truck, so i am hesitant on putting another one in it. I am not in a rush, i have a tdi jetta that i usually DD with anyway.

What do you guys think, i'd post on cummins forum but i trust the forum members here way more than over there.

Rot Box

Explorer
Those Getrags have had a bad reputation for a long time. I had one in my 92 and it didn't give me too much trouble other than popping out of 2nd gear once in awhile. Overfilling them by one quart and keeping the fluid changed often has proven to be a great idea. I personally don't think they are as bad as people say. That said if I had a blown up Getrag and the extra cash I'd shoot for the NV personally. Proven strength and very reliable (once the 5th gear nut is welded on). Would another rebuilt Getrag serve you well? Probably. My $.02 shoot for the NV4500 and a good clutch and be done with it.

JohnsD90

What Rotbox said. Either will work, but the NV is a better option overall.

It's just that the nv4500 is gonna be about $800-900 more out of pocket for me than getting a getrag, I'm just not sure that it is worth it for something that has a whole list of problems on its own, I've known a few to lose 5th gear, and have synchro problems. I only put like 2k miles on this truck so I doubt I killed this tranny, and I'm usually pretty good on my cars and don't beat them so my clutches usually last 200k+ in mixed driving.

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
I think you could another $800 to the $800-$900 premium you said for the NV4500 due to needing an adapter for transfer case. Is it really true some late 92 or 93 1st gens came with NV's?

JohnsD90

I think you could another $800 to the $800-$900 premium you said for the NV4500 due to needing an adapter for transfer case. Is it really true some late 92 or 93 1st gens came with NV's?

My truck is made at the end of march of 93, so there was only about 5 full months of production of first gens after mine so I doubt many would have came with them, i doubt any did but stranger things have happened. I feel it would be more likely that early 94s could have a getrag in them as sometimes factory's will finish existing stock from previous models, I know land rover used to do this.

I will say I know a guy who bought his 2 first gens brand new and special ordered them both from the factory with a 5 speed with a 3.07 rear end, he said they were running out though sometime in 93.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
As we said, either one will work. There is nothing wrong with rebuilding your Getrag. I have driven many of both, and I prefer the NV, but if you are looking at $8-900 difference, and the time and hassle to re-arrange driveline, I would go with the strongest built Getrag you can do. If you are planning a long term build up, big hp, etc, the NV would be better for the task.

RangeBrover

Explorer
200k, and I'm not sure, I really want a clean single cab w250 5 speed, but I may keep this a while. I think I made up my mind, probably gonna keep a getrag in it.

My take is that if you don't plan on keeping the truck for another 100k go with the cheapest option. If you plan on keeping it and building her up then spend the money to do it right the first time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online