Jack's 2002 Nissan Xterra Build & Adventure Thread

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Got a few maintenance items done over the weekend. Spark plugs replaced, PIAA driving lights adjusted / aimed, and did the seafoam treatment for the first time. What a difference! It idles so smooth & quiet. Now it sounds more like a kitten and less like a wild boar with emphysema.

IMG_20160228_121155_zpsnhp6y9cl.jpg

Getting dropped off tomorrow for a 4-wheel alignment and synthetic oil change. Going on a little road trip this weekend for some off-road training on the other side of the state.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
How was doing the sea foam? Worth the hassle?

Absolutely. I was nervous since I did 1/3 crank case, 1/3 gas tank, and 1/3 vacuum line. Scared me when the truck almost stalled. But the ol' girl runs nice and smooth now. Definitely worth it.

xovrlnd

Observer
Absolutely. I was nervous since I did 1/3 crank case, 1/3 gas tank, and 1/3 vacuum line. Scared me when the truck almost stalled. But the ol' girl runs nice and smooth now. Definitely worth it.

It's definitely a nerve racking thought! Have you seen the spray? That route you don't really run the risk of hydro locking. I was thinking about trying that to mine.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
It's definitely a nerve racking thought! Have you seen the spray? That route you don't really run the risk of hydro locking. I was thinking about trying that to mine.

I won't lie - I never even thought of the risk of hydrolocking until you just said that. Man oh man. I did it nice and slow into the vacuum line. I put my thumb back on it about ten times with 5 ounces of the liquid. They didn't have the spray where I was, so I'm glad this worked out :D

xovrlnd

Observer
I won't lie - I never even thought of the risk of hydrolocking until you just said that. Man oh man. I did it nice and slow into the vacuum line. I put my thumb back on it about ten times with 5 ounces of the liquid. They didn't have the spray where I was, so I'm glad this worked out :D

Oh man, just thinking about doing sea foam makes me feel uneasy! Youre a brave guy haha.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Off road training? Do tell.

Gladly! There is a group on the west side of the state called Fortune Bay Expedition Team. They offer all kinds of training - wilderness navigation, first aid, expedition trail leading, etc. They are offering a course on off-road driving that, while strictly classroom information, will be hugely beneficial. Choosing the right lines in the trail, proper (and safe) vehicle recovery, obstacle crossing, etc. I'm really looking forward to it.

And the Xterra has been dropped off into the trusty hands of the Nissan technicians.

IMG_20160301_080317_zpsayiuabxt.jpg

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Hooooooooo boy, has it been a summer. 9-month old baby is teething, our new house doesn't have A/C, we bought a Subaru, and we got a third dog. I think it's safe to say that we've gone insane.

Anyway, we've had a little taste of adventure since the spring. We took the whole gang out for memorial day out to our friend's property in northern Michigan, and it was a great time (pictures below are on private property). We were fully loaded - two dogs, a 2-month old puppy, 6-month old baby, wife, rooftop tent, trailer, even a Power Wheels Mustang. I had to do some test fits with the trailer before we headed out - the trailer is a low-rider and the Xterra is far too tall, so I ordered a 12" (a whole foot) drop hitch. I felt like one of those "brodozers" who lift their pickup trucks 6 feet only to have an equally dramatic drop hitch. Anyway, I also replaced the aging stock wiring harness with a new one; both the harness and hitch were from etrailer.com.

Also, I have to say a quick thank you to CVT. Last fall, I noticed there was a hole forming in the cover that had been rubbing against the ladder. I reached out to CVT in hopes that they could replace it, and it took a few months, but they came through. Sent me a brand new one.

Before we bought the Subaru, my wife drove the Xterra daily with the baby. It was not practical, comfortable, or fuel-efficient. She never used the trunk because of the tire carrier. So, as any good husband does, I took the tire carrier off so she could fully utilize it while she drove it. I'll pop it back on anytime it's needed for an adventure, such as prepping for Overland Expo East. Need to do the brakes and a bit of clean up and we'll be good to go.

Miscellaneous product updates:

-The yellow H3 bulbs that were installed in the PIAA fog lights are still burnin' bright. For ten bucks, I'm surprised but grateful.
-The LabRak mount for the ARB awning has been fantastic with the Thule bars. To compensate for the thin roof of the Xterra and the wide profile of the CVT tent, I had to figure out a way to attach the awning to the bars. I shifted both bars over to the driver side so that they stuck out far enough to mount the awning. I still had the security and stability of the rooftop tent centered and bolted to the square bars, but I was worried I wouldn't be able to have both mounted since it was the first time I had used the Thule bars.

IMG_20160522_1917379_zpssxzmgr2a.jpg

IMG_20160522_1932576_zpsvaazr0a8.jpg

IMG_20160522_1935355_zpskknn7ips.jpg

IMG_20160528_07425083_zpsajkqntnl.jpg

IMG_20160528_2007311_zpsh4zamjqg.jpg

Capture1_zpsql5n0cig.jpg

We also took a little trip to visit family in northern Michigan, and as much as I wanted to take the Xterra, we opted for the comfort and efficiency of the Subaru :) More pictures are posted on the thread linked in my signature, but the most recent of the two:

IMG_20160806_1224569_zpsli81tlnz.jpg

IMG_20160809_1458230_zpsd4izg0h9.jpg

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Getting things ready to head down to Expo East in October. One month! All I have left to do is the brakes and an oil change.

Finally caved and redid the Star Wars headliner. It was sagging quite a bit and part was even fluttering with the windows down (which is awful because the A/C hasn't worked all summer with the temperatures averaging 95 degrees).

I pulled the whole thing and simply painted it. It doesn't look great, but it matches the cloth interior and it's uniform. Pictured below with my LOBO rack, which partially drops down to become a dog barrier.

IMG_20160909_1243347_zpsgukkcnol.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles