Jack's 2002 Nissan Xterra Build & Adventure Thread

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Thank you! I really love that thing.

My roof lights...produce an excessive amount of glare. We actually talked about it earlier in this thread. I'm looking into a few different options, but the Hellas do not allow any lens clocking. I'll most likely be getting a custom Xoskel bar in the next few months, replacing the Hellas with LEDs.

I'm done with major mods for the year, but next year is a completely different story ;)

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Hello, ExPo! It's been a while. Some updates:

From my build thread on XterraNation -

When I initially started coming up with ideas for the Xterra, and finally researching different methods / items / gear / products, I knew it was going to become a trail runner. I wanted to build an unstoppable machine. The first year I had her was spent learning. The second year (last year) was spent building.

This year, my ideas have changed.

My wanderlust has become absolutely insatiable. I feel infinitely restless; I've planned two trips this year alone, and that's not including two trips that were already planned for this year. I'm currently planning a massive & epic journey from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Overlanding has really become my passion after last year's trip to Michigan's upper peninsula. I want to see everything and do everything, and my goals for the Terradactyl had to change - slightly. I knew she was never going to be a rock crawler, and I was never interested in 35s or an SAS. In order for me to continue with this passion of mine, this year's goals will be focused on creature comforts - upgraded stereo, seats, interior revamp. Things that have never really mattered to me in the past, as it was just going to be short trips on the trails. If we're going to be spending more and more time together on the road, I'm going to need to be comfortable.

Starting this spring (hopefully soon), the following projects will be initiated:

1. Before anything else, the Total Chaos steering kit will finally be installed.

2. Stereo upgrade.
-Blew a tweeter speaker yesterday, so this just bumped up to the top of my priority list.

3. Interior refresher.
-Headliner replacement, installation of the SE rearview mirror (compass & temperature); possible new CB and GPS, both with hidden power cords / wires, because cables are the bane of humanity.

4. Window regulators, because they're all terribly slow. Also the driver door sags and scuffs the top of the rock slider, so that needs to be addressed.

5. Secret mod #1 - roof.

6. Secret mod #2 - tire carrier.

7. Roof rack refresher.
-Rails need to be taken off and repainted, along with the boots and the roof cargo rack.

8. New starter.

9. Seat research.
-Looking at options between Corbeau and Recaro. I've spent a lot of time in Recaro seats, and they're incredibly comfortable. Only problem is that I can't go and do a butt test; everything is a special order around here. If I pick some out and they're not comfortable, I'll be effed.

10. All-weather floor mats and heater block.
-This winter has been brutal, and eye-opening.

11. Underbody refresher.
-Research different ways to mount an on-board air tank, along with a new exhaust system.

12. Winch shopping!

13. Head down to Louisville for some RLC underbody skid plates.

14. Full suspension lift / Desert Runners / undecided 32s.

15. Trailer build.

I've also been considering different options for some limb risers / branch deflectors, only to be equipped on expeditions. The challenge will be finding an attachment point, as my bumper does not have headlight guards to easily attach them to. I think a solution would be to simply drill some heavy-duty eyelets into the top of the fenders, allowing for hood opening & closing, and bracing them from inside the fender with a plate for strength. I've seen it done on a few 1st Gen Xterras, and I might try my hand at it after some more brainstorming.

richard310

pew pew
Those options will definitely revamp the X. Getting all the interior comforts really makes the difference. Especially getting out all the squeaks and rattles. Can't wait to see this build continued!

jonny.jpg

Adventurer
Awesome man!

I, as well as El Robot (Jeremy), are looking into doing the Trans American Trail; starting in the east, and reaching the west all on dirt roads. I would be down for a meetup if you ever decide to go that route. I'm slowly building my X for an over landing adventure. My ultimate goal is to bring my X to every continent.

-Jonny

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Jack! Good to see you back! I'm amped to see what you do next. That list sounds pretty good. You'll have a damn nice overlander soon. Even better than you already do.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Oh nice list! I will be starting on my trailer in the summer so hopefully I can get some good ideas from you! As for the seats, try finding some local tuner guys around your town and see if any are willing to let your try them out. I had to do that when building up a Factory Five kit car as the seats needed to be a lot better. The local guys are very willing to show off their rides any way possible. Maybe an option.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Thanks guys!

And welcome to Michigan.

IMG_20121113_zps2aa66f2c.jpg

IMG_20121112_zps4f900079.jpg

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Hmmm...my limb riser project might get nixed. I got all the parts I needed, but the problem I'm running into is the angles.

1. No headlight guards on my bumper = no easy attachment point.
2. Installing eyelets in the top of the fenders near the hood will put the cable in the way of the hood opening.
3. Putting the eyelets further back on the fender, towards the windshield, will nearly defeat the purpose of the cables in the first place.

I think part of the problem is my upper attachment point, which is the Xoskel. It doesn't offer a very good solution (not that it's supposed to), because it's so far from the left & right edges of the roof.

This was my first mock-up with paracord. Note the angles and such:

IMG_20140318_163744_zpsad5dcff2.jpg

If I take that cord and extend it further frontwards to the bumper, it curves down too much (in order to reach the bumper), and it would reach over the fender / headlight area, scratching it. Not ideal.

That's really all I have to work with. I hate giving this up, considering how practical it would be for my kind of trail driving. I think I'm mostly disappointed with how much I tried to plan this out, only to have stupid geometry hinder my progress. Stupid math.

Any suggestions / ideas would be welcomed.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice rig. I have always admired the first gen Xterra's. Looks like you were on the UP Overland trip last year, nice. I wasn't able to get home last summer for it. Is that an ORV for Michigan on your bumper? Unless things have changed, if you have a licensed vehicle, you don't need the ORV.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Nice rig. I have always admired the first gen Xterra's. Looks like you were on the UP Overland trip last year, nice. I wasn't able to get home last summer for it. Is that an ORV for Michigan on your bumper? Unless things have changed, if you have a licensed vehicle, you don't need the ORV.

Hey thanks! I heard you couldn't make it out, it was a great trip.

I hadn't heard that about the ORV tags. That's leftover from 2013; expires at the end of the month. Do you have a link for more information on that?

richard310

pew pew
Looks like you're going to have to extend the lateral bar on the lightcage outwards another 6" to 8". Tap the outer end of the pipe so you can fit an eyelet into the end to tie off your limb riser and attach the pipe with hose clamps or something similar to the lightcage.
Also possibly extend an eyelet out sideways from your fender to increase hood clearance.

A quick crappy sketch for you:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier