Jack's 2002 Nissan Xterra Build & Adventure Thread

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
In the meantime, I figured out a way to securely mount my axe & shovel on the interior of the vehicle:

IMG_20140324_163816_zps0c066cc5.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it. It's safe, secure, easily accessible, and it was easy to do.

richard310

pew pew
What does it look like with the seat cushions on? And how did you secure the rubber clamps to the chassis?

I might use this method as well if you don't mind.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
No worries, feel free! I can't claim a mod ;)

Here are some terrible, low-light, extremely close-up pictures of them mounted with the seat attached:

IMG_20121120_zps539e2c14.jpg

From the top:
IMG_20121121_zpsfbe06f0c.jpg

And a lovely little how-to.

Step 1 - Remove dog hair.
IMG_20140323_151315_zps0e67a31b.jpg

Step 2 - Mock up locations for usable axe & shovel access. Use a utility knife to cut the carpet out, exposing the bare metal for a more secure mount. There is no picture for this. Terribly sorry.

Step 3 - Mount! I used 1.5" self-drilling hex screws and washers.
IMG_20140324_163853_zps4a3613e9.jpg

Step 4 - Enjoy.
IMG_20140324_163816_zps0c066cc5.jpg

I also made sure I could still fold the seats flat (which is their common position, without cushions), while also not getting in the way of leg room for the off chance that there are passengers in my back seat. Also, that axe is facing down, and also has a sheath / blade cover. ULTIMATE SAFETY.

Mission: accomplished.

richard310

pew pew
Awesome. Thanks for the pics :)

Looks like there's still room for legs and no slicing of the achilles, minus the shovel head. Might do some knife/hatchet/axe where it sits more flush.

So you pretty much drilled right into the metal under the carpet?

XTorrey

Observer
Nice build, Jack! I hadn't heard anything about not needing the ORV sticker anymore either and would be interested in the info. When we moved in 2012 we still needed the ORV sticker for places like the Silver Lake sand dunes, but it would be nice to come home and not have to pay the ORV sticker fee again.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Awesome. Thanks for the pics :)

Looks like there's still room for legs and no slicing of the achilles, minus the shovel head. Might do some knife/hatchet/axe where it sits more flush.

So you pretty much drilled right into the metal under the carpet?

Correct!

Jack! Can I use this for the XTERRA Performance blog?!

This is great!

Haha, sure thing man!

Nice build, Jack! I hadn't heard anything about not needing the ORV sticker anymore either and would be interested in the info. When we moved in 2012 we still needed the ORV sticker for places like the Silver Lake sand dunes, but it would be nice to come home and not have to pay the ORV sticker fee again.

Right, I'm curious about it. Everything I've read about ORV 2014 is just increased prices for trail maintenance, etc.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
The X and I have a big weekend ahead...and then another one next weekend. The former for parts; the latter to prove out said parts ;)

But for now, LED marker lights!

IMG_20121155_zps1b69477d.jpg

And I still haven't decided if I want to continue with the limb riser mod... we'll see.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
VLEDS.com, my friend.

And the procedure -

I took the super easy route to get these swapped:

1. Take headlight housing off.
2. Unbolt the 10mm bolt that holds the headlight to the fender.
3. Pop the headlight itself out, just a few inches.
4. There's barely enough room for me to jam my skeleton fingers into the opening to twist the bulb housing out of the marker.
5. Swap bulb for LED.

No wiring needed!

richard310

pew pew
Wow those LEDs are pretty darn bright compared to the standard bulbs.

Hahah, I actually am able to squeeze my hand/arm up behind the splashguard in the wheel well to access all the bulbs. No headlight removal necessary! :D

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Old girl got to stretch her legs this weekend.

DSCN6758_zpsd954a20b.jpg

DSCN6735_zps00b68538.jpg

And the photobomber extraordinaire was lending a hand in trail-spotting.

DSCN6767_zpsfd9339df.jpg

And finally, helped this guy out -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne