Jack's 2002 Nissan Xterra Build & Adventure Thread

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Where did you find the LOBO rack? That is an item that I want for my 2000 Xterra. MTGunner

That is actually a simple DIY that combines some small carabiners (or whatever your preferred attachment points would be) and a utility shelf. The dimensions are something close to 48" x 16" (can't confirm at the moment), similar to this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-SuperSlide-4-ft-x-16-in-Ventilated-Linen-Shelf-4726/100016564

It's worked out very well for me because I can drop one side down to create a barrier for our three mutts and keeps the baby slobber-free!

IMG_20160522_1306303_zpsefzghbks.jpg

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Phew. Made it back from Overland Expo East. Didn't take the Xterra since I was able to take a much more comfortable ride :D

Days: 4
State lines: 6
Miles: 1800~

Capture_zpsnzbr4hrb.jpg

IMG_20161008_17264872_zpsv16wg4c9.jpg

IMG_20161008_1156037_zps3t5emxb4.jpg

IMG_20161007_0914365_zpsjpieflqv.jpg

IMG_20161007_09374642_zps152rmuhl.jpg

Got one more trip planned for the year - heading to the upper peninsula in the Xterra with the Fortune Bay team. Might even snow :D

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Oh my God...are you serious?!?! I want one so bad...Exactly how awesome is it?

It figures, I head North and you head South. Trip report to come.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Oh my God...are you serious?!?! I want one so bad...Exactly how awesome is it?

It figures, I head North and you head South. Trip report to come.

Its awesomeness is also classified ;)

Haha, figures! I'm looking forward to seeing where you went this time. I'm always jealous even when it's my own state.

Xterra got an oil change! Hardcore mod right there. Exciting stuff. And since the wife has the Subaru now, I put the tire carrier back on. Back to the way the old girl is supposed to be!

Nothing left to do for my upcoming trip to the upper peninsula but sit and wait :coffee:

IMG_20161017_0927200_zpskvvbgsj1.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Nothing much to update other than a fuel filter being changed this weekend. Unfortunately didn't get to make it to the upper peninsula, and even more unfortunate - selling the rooftop tent. Time to move on to a new era of camping next summer. With the wife and 1-year-old, it's not easy to climb up and down with everyone and everything. Looking at other options, and probably going to end up with an Oz tent. I like the simplicity, the space, and the styling. Plus, I can use it with whatever vehicle we're driving - Xterra, Subaru, or the replacement for the Xterra. Which I have opened the doors to much more than I anticipated. My needs have changed so drastically that I'm looking at comfort and safety over anything else. Don't have a lot of use / need for a heavy-duty, overbuilt trail rig. We'll see where it leads me, but I'm glad I'll still be driving the old girl over the winter.

Bye, rooftop tent. On to a good home.

IMG_20161204_13133532_zpsp3floieu.jpg

Last edited:

Sharky1528

Observer
Great looking Xterra !!! WOW !!

Its awesomeness is also classified ;)

Haha, figures! I'm looking forward to seeing where you went this time. I'm always jealous even when it's my own state.

Xterra got an oil change! Hardcore mod right there. Exciting stuff. And since the wife has the Subaru now, I put the tire carrier back on. Back to the way the old girl is supposed to be!

Nothing left to do for my upcoming trip to the upper peninsula but sit and wait :coffee:

IMG_20161017_0927200_zpskvvbgsj1.jpg

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Congratulations, and sorry for your loss at the same time. Selling project vehicles can be a mixed bag of emotions. Did you find a replacement?

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Congratulations, and sorry for your loss at the same time. Selling project vehicles can be a mixed bag of emotions. Did you find a replacement?

It was definitely a mixed bag. I was disappointed to see it go, but our needs have changed. We didn't need the big, bulky, uncomfortable off-road truck. I wanted something comfortable and fuel efficient. We still have the Subaru to take us down fire trails and out to isolate campsites.

Well there's something I wasn't expecting. Excited to hear if and what you've found as a replacement.

It all happened so fast! Just fell into place.

Its replacement is the polar opposite of a lifted, uncomfortable, truck. I got a hell of a deal on a car I've wanted for a very long time - a Volvo wagon. It's definitely a 180 degree turn for me. It's low, it's fast, and it's comfy. But it's definitely a project - it's got a few delicious mods (Elevate tune, Heico suspension, etc.) and almost 200K miles.

IMG_20170126_16430243_zps97dwq0zi.jpg

IMG_20170126_15081832_zpsyqyj0bwc.jpg

IMG_20170128_0835373_zpscnmzl3mc.jpg

I'll miss the Xterra, but I know it's in good hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior