Jack's 2002 Nissan Xterra Build & Adventure Thread

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
It's not dangerous just annoying, I usually take a large screwdriver when I'm waiting for my oil to drain and push out heat shields with easy access (if I have a rattle)

Yep, that's what I do too. Everything that was loose has been removed. Sounds less like a loose screw in a dryer and more like a truck now :)

It's the loud and annoying part that gets me. I can barely stand squeaks and creaks already! I'm definitely in the wrong form of transportation and interest....

You and me both...

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Took advantage of our Independence Day by taking care of some pre-trip maintenance.

IMG_20121229_zpse7b6576b.jpg

Rotated tires, checked brakes, checked fluids, checked lights, and got everything packed up. Also did a bit of underbody painting - leaf springs, shackles, drums, and a lot of the frame. Looks all fresh & clean.

IMG_20121230_zpsdcdbd59e.jpg

Just a few more days until I head to PA. All that's left to do is fuel up and go!

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
More pre-trip items knocked off the list today.

The Total Chaos steering kit that's been gnawing at me from the garage is...still gnawing. I've also had the Bilstein steering stabilizer in there, and decided to try my hand at it. It was surprisingly straightforward, and I knocked it out in less than an hour. I can already feel the improvement. It's really just a temporary fix until I can replace all those components, and it will certainly come in handy for the 16+ hour driving I'll be doing this weekend.

DSCN6796_zpsd9e0310b.jpg

Additionally, replaced the bolts that were holding the front RLC bumper on since they were all nasty & rusty from the winter. Re-wired the fog lights, too. Cleaned everything up. Reassembled and good to go!

DSCN6795_zps3d90de85.jpg

richard310

pew pew
I find solace in doing maintenance before a long trip. It's actually kind of fun and gives peace of mind once you're on the road.

Man, that RLC bumper looks wonderful. It's on my to-do list for next year.

beags86

Adventurer
More pre-trip items knocked off the list today.

The Total Chaos steering kit that's been gnawing at me from the garage is...still gnawing. I've also had the Bilstein steering stabilizer in there, and decided to try my hand at it. It was surprisingly straightforward, and I knocked it out in less than an hour. I can already feel the improvement. It's really just a temporary fix until I can replace all those components, and it will certainly come in handy for the 16+ hour driving I'll be doing this weekend.

DSCN6796_zpsd9e0310b.jpg

Additionally, replaced the bolts that were holding the front RLC bumper on since they were all nasty & rusty from the winter. Re-wired the fog lights, too. Cleaned everything up. Reassembled and good to go!

DSCN6795_zps3d90de85.jpg

what does the total chaos steering kit have in it? what does it improve? and the stabilizer? where do you get that at?

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
what does the total chaos steering kit have in it? what does it improve? and the stabilizer? where do you get that at?

The Total Chaos kit replaces the centerlink, idler arm, pitman arm, and tie rod assemblies with beefy parts that are 2-3x the size of the stock components. The 1st Gen IFS system is prone to worn components (although I've been extremely lucky with mine), so this will improve overall handling - including steering wander, death wobble, and steering tightness. It's beneficial on the trails too, since the upgraded tie rods can be put through the ringer.

The stabilizer attaches to the centerlink and essentially acts as a dampener to tighten up the worn-down linkage. I'm using mine as a temporary fix right now; it can be acquired here.

beags86

Adventurer
Cool, Thanks for the info. I just got my x for the wife three months ago and have now replaced everything under there. Along with the power steering pump. But, I still have hard steering to the right. Last thing is the steering box. Have a new one(junkyard unit) sitting in the back of the truck from last nights trip to the yard. I hope this fixes the last of my problems. I had no idea the first gens had such weak steering (I know now)

I am thinking the stabilizer might help prevent wearing my new stuff out. Also I might pick up the idler brace. (I bought replacement parts before I found out about the total kit.) Not sure if the kit is worth the money to me. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Cool, Thanks for the info. I just got my x for the wife three months ago and have now replaced everything under there. Along with the power steering pump. But, I still have hard steering to the right. Last thing is the steering box. Have a new one(junkyard unit) sitting in the back of the truck from last nights trip to the yard. I hope this fixes the last of my problems. I had no idea the first gens had such weak steering (I know now)

I am thinking the stabilizer might help prevent wearing my new stuff out. Also I might pick up the idler brace. (I bought replacement parts before I found out about the total kit.) Not sure if the kit is worth the money to me. Any thoughts?

Which steering components have you replaced? The steering box should fix the cockeyed steering. That and an alignment. Side note - the junkyard unit might be good but it could leak (common issue); there's a replacement seal kit that essentially enables you to rebuild the steering box. Cheap fix.

What kind of driving are you guys planning on doing? That's really what it comes down to:

For daily driving / long-term road driving (even dirt roads), you should be alright with the stock components and the stabilizer, which will definitely improve the on-road driving.

For more off-road / technical driving, I'd recommend it the TC kit. It's definitely worth biting the bullet for if the Xterra is going to be used off-road. There is an idler arm brace included in the kit.

Thanks, I had seen that kit but the website called it a complete steering kit, and I was confused. I'm really looking forward to starting to beef up the my Xterra.

2003 Nissan Xterra 4WD

beags86

Adventurer
Which steering components have you replaced? The steering box should fix the cockeyed steering. That and an alignment. Side note - the junkyard unit might be good but it could leak (common issue); there's a replacement seal kit that essentially enables you to rebuild the steering box. Cheap fix.

What kind of driving are you guys planning on doing? That's really what it comes down to:

For daily driving / long-term road driving (even dirt roads), you should be alright with the stock components and the stabilizer, which will definitely improve the on-road driving.

For more off-road / technical driving, I'd recommend it the TC kit. It's definitely worth biting the bullet for if the Xterra is going to be used off-road. There is an idler arm brace included in the kit.

Yeah, it's mostly a daily driver for the wife, and used for forest roads on the weekend for camping/hikeing/kayaking/ATVing. I won't say it won't get wheeled because it will see offroad that isn't just a dirt trail. (already got a wheel or two to lift :D)
I do know the yard steering box is good and leak free because my buddy works there (got the whole rack- steering box, center link, idler arm, pitman arm,both tierods and ends for 40$)

FOTA6DA.jpg
a little pic for ya

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles