Jack's 2002 Nissan Xterra Build & Adventure Thread

beags86

Adventurer
I have the RTT mounted to some thule bars. The thule bars are mounted to the factory x bars. (kind of a rubber clamp thing w/lock) I think I am going to change it it around some and come up with a mount to go onto the factory x bars direct.

yeah, one other note about the use of this truck. It will never be lifted, or run oversized tires. So it will only do what it can in stock form.

Last edited:

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
It will never be lifted, or run oversized tires. So it will only do what it can in stock form.

Good mindset ;) I'm going to end up with 32" tires, but no body lift. I don't want to mess with gravity and / or physics. It's plenty capable as-is.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Made it back from the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival with the truck in one piece. If that's not success, I don't know what is.

I made it from MI to PA in a few hours, but it was nearly 2am. All the campsites that I had selected as backup plans were closed, so I spotted a utility trail on the side of a road populated by no one but cows & deer. Figured I wouldn't be bothering anyone by staying there for a few hours.

IMG_20140711_053806_zps46633f7f.jpg

Everything went smoothly, and it was a great event.

IMG_20140712_185724_zps62e263a3.jpg

IMG_20140712_183332_zps68dc7959.jpg

IMG_20140712_141455_zps3f7da5f6.jpg

More pictures to come. In the meantime, I ordered a few things to get installed over the next few weeks for the trip to the upper peninsula. Also did this nifty little trick:

IMG_20140714_072650_zps6f16903d.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but I absolutely hate exposed cables. They are the bane of my existence. I took one of those USB cables that have the rope-like material around them, since they're supposed to be more heat resistant, and fed it underneath the A-pillar, under the dash, and out into the 12V on the dash. This way, my GPS would stay on for the whole trip and I wouldn't have to deal with a horrid cable while I drove.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Looks like a sweet trip and that's an awesome little mod for that GPS! I'm the same way with exposed cables, they look so... messy.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Looks like a sweet trip and that's an awesome little mod for that GPS! I'm the same way with exposed cables, they look so... messy.

I just wish everything would be wireless already! ...somehow.

More pictures from the trip.

DSCN6799_zps119fe7ba.jpg

Taken at 2AM, gotta love 3200 ISO ;)
DSCN6803_zps21378587.jpg

DSCN6805_zpsd191b847.jpg

Also found an old baseball field that my pup really enjoyed.
DSCN6807_zps7549e477.jpg

Trail time.
DSCN6808_zpsbf14f832.jpg

DSCN6810_zpseb003ef8.jpg

DSCN6812_zpse22027ad.jpg

DSCN6811_zpsa400af04.jpg

DSCN6822_zps3d85bbe6.jpg

DSCN6819_zpsd8ba9398.jpg

jhberria

Adventurer
Hey man, it's Josh...your neighbor/dog chef at the Mid-Atlantic Festival. Just want to say it was a pleasure hanging out with you and Will (Ripper) at the event, and I appreciate all the pointers/knowledge you guys were willing to share. Give Bear a scratch behind the ears for me.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
wish I could have made it, some of those views and rocks look very familiar to me

That, sir, is awesome!

Hey man, it's Josh...your neighbor/dog chef at the Mid-Atlantic Festival. Just want to say it was a pleasure hanging out with you and Will (Ripper) at the event, and I appreciate all the pointers/knowledge you guys were willing to share. Give Bear a scratch behind the ears for me.

Hey Josh, good meeting you as well. I'll pass that along to Bear; I'm sure he was grateful for all the snacks, haha.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I've got a question for you 1st Gen guys - my A/C squeals for about 10 seconds every time I turn it on. Where do I start?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I've got a question for you 1st Gen guys - my A/C squeals for about 10 seconds every time I turn it on. Where do I start?

Almost guaranteed its your belt

Nissan was nice enough to provide 3 belts on these engines, I believe the AC belt is the further from the front, so you might as well replace them all while you are in there

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Almost guaranteed its your belt

Nissan was nice enough to provide 3 belts on these engines, I believe the AC belt is the further from the front, so you might as well replace them all while you are in there

See, that's why I was kind of confused. I did the timing belt / water pump / thermostat and all that jazz last summer and replaced all the belts. Is it possible that one was torqued too tight?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
too tight, or too loose, or the belt has degraded in a year.

Could be something else, like the pulley squealing etc

The AC belt is the one closest to the front, if it's not cracked or worn looking you can adjust the tension bolt making the belt a little tighter and fix the problem. I just replaced the belts on mine and didn't get the power steering belt tight enough and had to adjust it a little.

2003 Nissan Xterra 4WD

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
My idlers really liked to squeak on my first gen. Replaced the idler and the belt, and the damn thing still chirped. Took a long time fiddling with it to get it to shut up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles