The ExPo BMW Dakar Project Bike - Big Adventure from Day One...Or, Hour One.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Last week I started putting together all of the logistics to bring back the BMW F650GS Dakar motorcycle we had acquired for an ExPo project. The bike was located in Denver, and as my schedule opened up I planned to fly out to Denver (Arvada), pass the cash and ride the 900 miles home via a few dirt roads here and there.

I would like to make light of this whole adventure, but it started on a very ominous note. I arrived in Denver at noon, made it to the seller's house, and within an hour had it loaded up for the trip north to my sister's house in Fort Collins. That meant I had to ride through Boulder. Usually, that's not a big deal, but just as I settled into the seat, before the engine had even achieved proper temperature, the rains came down with a fury. I hate riding in the rain, and as per usual stopped under a gas station shelter to evaluate the situation. As I stood there slack jaw wondering what I was witnessing, water rolled over my feet in a steady stream. The parking lot was flooding. Getting through the outskirts of Boulder on 287 I went through intersections with water lapping over my feet. 18 miles into picking this bike up, the "adventure" factor was getting high for the burbs of Boulder.

If you haven't seen the images, they're pretty impressive. Sadly, a few lives were lost during the afternoon. Today, several roads are closed due to flooding, collapsing road surfaces, or severe rock fall.

From today's newspaper: “It has been one thunderstorm on top of another,” she said.

Rainfall has increased sharply in recent days, according to the weather service. Boulder County got up to 6 inches of rain in the past 12 hours, Fort Collins up to 2 inches, Denver up to 4 inches, and Colorado Springs up to 2 inches"

I rode right through that just as it was happening. It came pretty darn fast. I'm now camped on my sister's couch for the day watching the weather, hoping for reprieve.

...and it's STILL raining....

rain6_zps76d57f2b.jpg
rain5_zps0d839a05.jpg
rain3_zps7c1afff8.jpg

We'll see what tomorrow brings. For today I'm waiting it out.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If you took 287, you were within a mile or so of the house I grew up in, and passed within a mile or so of where we started the TAT back in 2008 on the Overland Journal F650GS project bike (the old Earthroamer building in Lafayette).

Lets hook up this fall so I can take a ride down old memory road (and then find a beer - it's been too long!).

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Brian, It took nearly 2 hours to ride up 287 from Arvada to Fort Collins on Wednesday with all the rain and traffic. Parts of 287 have washed out and are closed today. Highways 14, 34, 36, and every road leading into the mountains from the front range north of Denver are all closed. 36 will not be open in a long, long, long time.

Sugarloaf, Lefthand Canyon, and every other such canyon is being evacuated by National Guard in spots. I just heard as I was typing this, 287 is now being closed in a greater span. All north/south traffic is being directed east of I-25. What a mess!

Anyone have snorkel ideas for a F650GS?

flood_zps5fa4f44a.jpg

WheresMurph

Adventurer
CN, my mother lives in Boulder, right at the bottom of "The Hill" across the road from AlfaAlfa. Glad you're safe and sound. What a day to ride.
My mother just sold the snorkel from her 650GS, she's 86 so she decided to hang up the helmet and gloves before something bad happened.........

Anyway, hope you make it to where you need to be,

Murph.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Well, I made it west of the Front Range. It rained like a sunnova from Fort Collins all the way to Georgetown. As in flood warning rains. Fortunately, traffic was exceptionally light. All the same, I shot the gap in the clouds and made it over Guanella Pass and over to HWY 285 without much drama. I stopped in Fairplay for lunch and to enjoy the very short lived hole in the sky. I then took the gamble to ride over Weston Pass and around another big storm cell. It was beautiful with a few of the Aspens starting to turn. Buena Vista to Gunnison was more rain, rain, rain, rain. Unreal how much rain I rode through today. BIG RAIN.

Trailsurfer, thanks for the recommendation to ride Weston. It was the highlight, and high point of my day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke