My xPo Trailer Build

dmc1

Adventurer
Thanks guys for all of the great comments. I can't take credit for the design. It all came from the great talent that I have seen here on the forum. This is a great community! It is fun to look daily just to get ideas. Can't wait to get this done so I can use it! Everyone have a great day!

dmc1

Adventurer
A little bit more progress today. Got the sides cut and roughed in. Now I just need some time to final fit them and weld them in.

100_2723.jpg100_2722.jpg100_2726.jpg

dmc1

Adventurer
Got the sides welded in and took it for a spin. Works good so far. Gotta figure out which lights to use now.

Anybody got any military trailer lights?

100_2730.jpg100_2732.jpg

dmc1

Adventurer
Got a few things done today. Got the tail light housings made. Just need to mount them after I get my propane bottles mounted on the rear. Cut some tubing that I'll make my side stanchions for the RTT platform. I'm going to make them where they bolt on so I can remove them when I don't need them. Makes the trailer look cleaner. When I made my tailgate I made it where it dropped in because I wanted to also use it as a table. Got the mount for it made today. Also got the composite floor in. Won't be long before it will be ready to disassemble, clean, and paint. Be safe everyone!

100_2740.jpg100_2737.jpg100_2742.jpg100_2743.jpg

navy jay

That's a great build you have going on. If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of the trailer and how long did it end up overall? Would you even be able to guess the weight that you're at currently? I've been doing a lot of researching on the site getting ready to build a trailer myself and any advice would be helpful. Again, great job!

dmc1

Adventurer
Trailer is 4x6 with an approximate 40" tongue (this is without the coupler inserted, it is approximately 12 inches more). The side height is about 20 inches tall. I can get the exact measurements on any part if you let me know. Right now I do not know exactly what the weight is but I have tried to keep it to a minimum. I'm going to weigh it as soon as I get it complete. I "planed" the decking boards down to half of their original thickness in an effort to cut weight. The trailer is still not painted as I keep adding things and re-doing here and there. I've tried to make different pieces where I can remove them when I'm not using them or need them for what I am doing at the moment, such as the propane bottle mounts, stanchions for the roof top tent or whatever. I have removed the expanded metal from the table and put a thinner piece of sheet metal to cut weight. I also had two of the aluminum cargo hitch baskets that I have fixed where I can use them as cargo shelves on top of the trailer. I figure I'll keep messing with it until the weather warms and then I'll paint it. Thanks for the compliments and if you have specific questions feel free to ask.
100_2754.jpg

Last edited:

XJINTX

Explorer
I absolutely love that backend / table setup. I built mine without tailgate or rear opening. Wife always had a hard time getting things out by herself with top up. I finally just added a TJ tailgate but wish I'd seen your setup first :(

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Could we get a close up of the propane bottle holders on the rear? I keep finding ones for sale that are ridiculously priced, so thinking of making my own.

Trailer looks fantastic!

dmc1

Adventurer
Thanks for the information on the book. I just ordered a copy for myself. Great work on the trailer too!

You are going to enjoy the book. I like old books like that. Currently I am reading a book about the Outerbanks that I found from 1958.

dmc1

Adventurer
I absolutely love that backend / table setup. I built mine without tailgate or rear opening. Wife always had a hard time getting things out by herself with top up. I finally just added a TJ tailgate but wish I'd seen your setup first :(

Thanks for the compliments on the table. It has worked out pretty well. I have since removed the mesh that was on the table and put a thin piece of sheet metal on it. You can also tell by the pictures attached here that I'm getting bored with the weather and I am getting cabin fever. Don't throw that old grill away! I took the sides off the old grill and mounted them on the inside towards the back of the trailer. Now I have another sturdy table and another propane grill. I also have these where they can be removed and mounted on the opposite corners on the outside of the front of the trailer when I get somewhere and want to set up. I'm trying to make everything where it will "fasten" to the inside so I can basically store my junk in it and haul out at a moments notice if the notion hits me! LOL. Since winter is now here, and as I mentioned in another previous post, I'll tinker with this thing all winter before I paint it! Keeps me busy and my wife appreciates that! LOL.

100_2768a.jpg100_2767a.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94