My xPo Trailer Build

dmc1

Adventurer
Could we get a close up of the propane bottle holders on the rear? I keep finding ones for sale that are ridiculously priced, so thinking of making my own.

Trailer looks fantastic!

I took a very simplistic approach to my bottle mounts. If you look at your bottle, on the bottom you'll see the ring. This ring has holes in it. Basically what I did was make a very small version of the receiver hitches and mounted them on the sides on the bottom at the rear. I have a plate welded on the insert piece with little pieces welded that fit inside of the ring on the bottom of the tanks. I then bolt the tanks to the mounts. The piece that the tank bolts to is threaded so I will not have to fumble with nuts. Since they are mounted at the rear I really don't have to remove them to use them. If I need to remove them from the trailer I can and leave the mounts bolted to the bottom of the tank. That way I don't have to unbolt them. I still may try something else but these work pretty good so far and they are cheap! I may try a strap version when I get through with all of the other stuff to see what kind of space I have. The neat thing about these mounts is that I can completely remove them along with everything else if needed to reduce weight and temptation from thieves if I just want to use it around the house. As you mentioned, the store bought ones are expensive!
6f50633e-62cc-445b-9282-ac4c8d25367b_zps8af817f6.jpg

Last edited:

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I took a very simplistic approach to my bottle mounts. If you look at your bottle, on the bottom you'll see the ring. This ring has holes in it. Basically what I did was make a very small version of the receiver hitches and mounted them on the sides on the bottom at the rear. I have a plate welded on the insert piece with little pieces welded that fit inside of the ring on the bottom of the tanks. I then bolt the tanks to the mounts. The piece that the tank bolts to is threaded so I will not have to fumble with nuts. Since they are mounted at the rear I really don't have to remove them to use them. If I need to remove them from the trailer I can and leave the mounts bolted to the bottom of the tank. That way I don't have to unbolt them. I still may try something else but these work pretty good so far and they are cheap! I may try a strap version when I get through with all of the other stuff to see what kind of space I have. The neat thing about these mounts is that I can completely remove them along with everything else if needed to reduce weight and temptation from thieves if I just want to use it around the house. As you mentioned, the store bought ones are expensive!
View attachment 200361

Sweet!

dmc1

Adventurer
Here is the latest update on the xPo trailer. Been too cold to paint it. Currently it is in a holding pattern. Since I have not been able to work on it I decided to build me a xPo Cargo basket for the back of the Jeep. Made it out of aluminum. Came out pretty good. Here are a couple of pics. :coffeedrink:

dmc1

Adventurer
I was asked about the hubs and adapters. Here are a couple of pics. The adapters are 1.8 inches thick. The hubs are 5 on 4.5 inch bolt pattern. The wheel side of the adapter is 5 on 5 inch bolt pattern for the Rubicon wheel. I had the adapters made at adaptit.com. I had them install 1/2-20 studs. I've had good luck with these folks. If anyone has anymore questions let me know. I'll see if I can help.

jruba

Adventurer
Your trailer looks so clean ! Love it ... where are you at right now $$ if you dont mind telling ?

dmc1

Adventurer
Not counting labor and considering everything is new, probably $1200 to $1300? I would not think it was anymore than that at this point.
Your trailer looks so clean ! Love it ... where are you at right now $$ if you dont mind telling ?

SamM

Adventurer
What are your axle dimensions? Is it the same as your Jeep? eTrailer sells 5"x5" brake assemblies. Great fabrication skills. I like your build.

SamM

dmc1

Adventurer
SamM, not sure if I understand what you are asking? Are you asking the width of the axle and rating or are you asking about the hub bolt pattern? The axle does have the "standard" flanges made on it that will accept the 4 bolt brake assemblies. The bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 and then it is changed to 5 on 5 to accept the Jeep Rubicon wheels via the adapters. Hope this helps! Thanks.

What are your axle dimensions? Is it the same as your Jeep? eTrailer sells 5"x5" brake assemblies. Great fabrication skills. I like your build.

SamM

SamM

Adventurer
I was meaning the track width of the axle. Is it the same as your Jeep? Sorry, that I wasn't clear.

SamM

dmc1

Adventurer
I can get the exact track width today when I go out to the shop. I built it to be just under the overall width of the Jeep so it would not have the appearance of being wider than the Jeep. I'll post that measurement this afternoon. Thanks.

I was meaning the track width of the axle. Is it the same as your Jeep? Sorry, that I wasn't clear.

SamM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior