Possible Unimog Purchase, Scoping the Problem / Options

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Just did some searching on Bundeswehr standards... Level 3 servicing is not a major overhaul! They only replace whats broken and check everything out. All that stuff should be documented in the TDv. Ask for that booklet! In other words, that unimog got a big service done more than 13 years ago! I would get it checked out at a actual Mercedes dealer ship or at any other Unimog mechanic close by.

MBDSLPWR

Tempting. To meet my needs, though, I think it'd require some speed (therefore, power) improvements. That's an added cost. Then there's the rust. Besides those costs, I do like it...

MBDSLPWR

Found a LF8/8 for sale next summer. Research indicates it's 1 of 779 U1300 L/37's (it's a 1983). 168HP engine, 9-pax cab, very good condition. Of course, the box will need to go. Added expense and time there. I'm hearing from several sources that ex-BW's are slim pickings right now. Hmm... what to do?

There's a nice RW1 available now, too. Again, though, box will have to go. And it's not cheap. Will fit the family (three of us) and has a nice 5T winch, but no extra fording capability.

Anyone got a Doka/9-pax pritsche with turbo, fast axles, frame winch, and a Claas overdrive handy? I mean, I'm not asking too much, am I? :)

MBDSLPWR

Test drove an OM366A/fast axle ex-BW pritsche last night. Potential, but the transmission was sloppy. Couldn't tell if it was syncho's or linkage, or both. Satisfactory power, as the truck held 95kph on level ground. A few niggles which the seller said he'd repair (mirror, clearance light cap, fan switch, noisy stone in the step support). Not even cleaned from the BW sale, either. Some unsettling moist areas underneath. I really ought to drive an OM352 to understand the difference. I had high hopes for this OM366A; feeling a smidge dashed right now. When's a really nice one going to show up? Grumble, grumble...

And in case anyone's wondering, driving a Unimog through German village streets is a unique spatial awareness experience!

Last edited:

MBDSLPWR

Tomorrow's test vehicle: 1988 RW1.
Wackenhut box
5T frame winch
Full documents, and TÜV inspection
OM366A / fast axles
21,000km
We shall see what transpires...

33653_1376727631.jpg

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Looking good! And fresh TUEV is always great! At least you know it's roadworthy :) On thing that gets me exited about ex Feuerwehr Mogs: They have always been parked in a warm dry garage, always been taken care off and most times only had a couple of people on staff that where allowed to drive them. The Bundeswehr mogs on the other hand are not being babied....

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I know nothing about Mogs but can vouch for ex-fire vehicles in general, in the 8 years before I bought mine from a country fire brigade I think it only did 700 miles. Also a couple of the old-timers had nothing else to do but maintain the vehicles and of course it's critical for them to have reliable trucks.

MBDSLPWR

I went. I saw. I am impressed.
This Unimog is in GREAT condition. Everything is in its place and fully operational. I saw two chips of rust, both on the corners of the white, front bumper.
Engine bay: dry as a bone.
Underneath: dry as a bone.
Winch: clean. Documents for annual load tests present.
Signal lights: good to go. Loudspeaker as well. Found an extra handheld radio under the driver's seat. Comes with.
Hood-mounted flood light: fully operational.
Eberspacher heater: took a minute to heat up, but fired off and put out some good BTU's.
Frame/Chassis: no scrapes, no rust anywhere. Everything black and clean.
Wackenhut box: rolladens smooth, locks and latches good, sideboard strut gas shocks strong, all drawers in good condition. Rooftop rust-free.
Driving impressions: 1-4/5-8 lockout in full effect. Properly notchy shifting, no slop. Satisfactory power. Went into reverse and heard the alarm; reassuring.
Tires/wheels: XZL's (I think), sized 335 - big, with deep treads. Clean.
Cabin: everything was clean. The worst damage were the scrapes on the lower part of the driver's side door / map pocket. Floormats, dash, windows, windshield, headliner panels, sun visors, all great condition. Hatch fully operational, snapped into place well. Fan blew hard, switch was smooth to operate. Light dust on the transmission cover by shifter/xfer case.
By all measures, this is a "no questions asked" Unimog.

How much does it cost to insure one of these things? :)

Last edited:

MBDSLPWR

Oh yeah - am inquiring on the spare tire also. That should come with.

QUESTION: Trev's RW1 and several others I've seen are all capable of fording 1.2m. The seller informs he believes this one is the same. However, a run of the VIN on the MB system does NOT specify a SA code for the addtional fording depth. How to verify if 80cm / 1.2m fording?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I know nothing about Mogs but can vouch for ex-fire vehicles in general, in the 8 years before I bought mine from a country fire brigade I think it only did 700 miles. Also a couple of the old-timers had nothing else to do but maintain the vehicles and of course it's critical for them to have reliable trucks.

Not being driven isn't a good thing. Military vehicles leak a lot from not being driven. Seals dry up and issues start surfacing.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
That's true, I left mine for six months while I had a job. When I finally finished I started it up to go and bamm, clutch pedal straight to the floor. The seals in the master cylinder had dried and failed. It was another week before I could get out of the place.

If the vehicle is in service however this is not a problem with fire trucks though as they maintained and exercised, just don't get many miles on the clock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior