Possible Unimog Purchase, Scoping the Problem / Options

MBDSLPWR

I've got a Dodge Ram 2500. Quad cab. 4x4 - with the Cummins diesel and a 6-speed manual. And it's sorta large. My first truck was a 1982 VW Caddy, which doesn't really count.

SO... this Unimog thing is a whole new scale for me.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
It's a bit scary driving large vehicles at first if you've not done it before (as I hadn't), but you get used to it pretty quick I found. My first entry into this world was 16 tons, 10x the weight of the largest car I'd driven before.

MBDSLPWR

Apparently, a Unimog is a whole new scale for my insurance company, too. They won't insure it.

Stinkers.

For US folks, who insures your Unimogs (except USAA)?

chadlanc

Adventurer
It's easy to get insurance, just don't say unimog because they have no idea what that is. Just say mercedes benz and the model #

Joe917

Explorer
I am in Ontario Canada , my Mercedes 917 AF is insured with Aviva.No problem just needed an appraisal. This is the first large vehicle I have owned and driven, the cab-over gives a fantastic view of the road and makes driving a joy.

MBDSLPWR

Sunraiderseeker - nice note, thanks.
And for all, insurance came through. A few small administrative concerns and I could be an American driving an ex-fire department Unimog on German village streets.
THAT's a strange idea...

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Stranger yet is driving one on Canadian streets. I used to love taking mine (the RW1) to the "Fireman's breakfast", a fund raiser for the local fire department. People would swarm it. Firefighters too.

MBDSLPWR

Offer made October 13, 2013. Awaiting an answer.

33653_1376727631.jpg

MBDSLPWR

Kept awaiting an answer, inquired on Thursday, was told it sold the day before I made my offer.
So, fail. Lost this one. Trek continues.

MBDSLPWR

Trials and tribulations continue:

1. Looked at a really nicely repainted U1300L Ex-BW with OM366A engine and fast axles, good tires, and many accessories. Unfortunately, the final decision was against due to maintenance condition and shoddy underbody respray work. All show, no technical care.
2. Then found an excellent 1986 U1300L, ex-BW, restored with Zeppelin shelter for sale. Seller withdrew the Unimog from sale due to his next deal falling through. Wanted to keep the restored one.
3. I've now located another excellent condition, ex-FW U1300L/37 DoKa pritsche (similar to Atkinson Vos' Mog pictured here) for sale. Due to phone number errors, I was late to contact the seller and am now #2 in line with a weeks' wait to find out if #1 bought it. So, if you're reading this and you're #1 in line, you have one chance before I jump on it. :)

U1550L37%20B2031.jpg

Last edited:

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Jeez you wouldn't think it would be so hard to get a good Mog, hope you find something soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz