Possible Unimog Purchase, Scoping the Problem / Options

MBDSLPWR

All,

Well, I've lucked into a good spot and want to maximize the opportunity. Knowing my limits, I am hoping you experts can keep me on the straight and narrow.

Conditions:
1. I'm living in Germany, the land of plenty!
2. Any Unimog I buy will be exported, thus must be 1990 or older.
3. My budget is circa 20k Euro.
4. Seeking a camper basis. Ex-Bundeswehr preferred, but am open to ex-Feuerwehr Unimogs as well.
5. Turbo and fast axles preferred as well.

So, initial solutions are the U1300L Ambulances or pritsche with radio cabin #1, or mod a LF8 Unimog.
But, fast axles and turbo are a challenge to locate.

Questions, then:
1. What else serves as a decent Unimog camper basis? I'm coming at this from ground camping, so a Maggiolina on a pritsche is a fine start.
2. Observing Mobile.de and Autoscout24.de, and not desiring the complexity of Vebeg, what others dealers are recommended?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated and I look forward to this pursuit.

MBDSLPWR

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
You are living in Germany... why are you talking about exporting it?
I'm a German living in Canada and have been playing with the idea of importing "something cool" for some time. Mobile.de will be your best bet. What's your budged? I have seen the ambulance version for as low as 15.000 euros. Seems too cheap... I would we careful with the Ex bundeswehr ones! I left the German Airforce 20 years ago and even back then (when they were only 10 years old) they started rusting very badly. They also always leaked something and therefore had to visit the shop quiet often. In any case, I loved loved driving them! I would recommend that you go and test drive on to get a feel for it. Even the 170hp ones are super gutless and therefore would recommend keeping it as lightweight as possible! The KRKW version is anything but light...
Cheers and good luck!

MBDSLPWR

Thanks - I appreciate the perspective on weight and capabilities. Truth be told, if it's a military vehicle, I'd be more concerned if it WASN'T leaking something all the time. It's like a sign of life...

MBDSLPWR

Rob - thanks for pointing that out. I've reviewed that opportunity and it looks good and is likely a good value. However, asking price is $49k. Per above, my budget is ~$25k. Don't believe the seller will cross that gap and I can't come up. And I'm not coming back to the USA immediately, so it'd be significant money with no enjoyment until I return.

A motivating factor for me is relief from the 25% duty fee on importation. Allows a stronger purchase out here in Germany.

FYI, I've also thoroughly reviewed your build - impressive, to say the least. You have my strongest regards for your lifestyle choice and as I contemplate where I want this to go, yours is one of the examples I use as a marker. Astounding commitment, and well done!

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I would highly recommend contacting Andy @ http://www.vkcars.be/ I've purchased and imported two Unimogs from him in the past (now both sold) and he was top notch. Excellent to deal with, did a full inspection, front to back, everything from body to torque tube shims on the truck for me. The firetruck only had ~15,000km's on it, and the Krankenwagen only had 4900km's on it (BW rebuild in 1995). Andy specializes in Ex-BW trucks, and transported that Krankenwagen to Hellgeth's Engineering for a 245hp upgrade before shipping it to Canada. Well worth it IMHO. He can source you a good, clean, low mile Unimog for the right price, and you don't have to worry about getting a pile-o-crap :)

Also for Expedition use, I would strongly recommend having a Claas Overdrive fitted while in Germany, it's an expensive upgrade but effectively doubles the gears (not really due to overlap, but close enough) giving you 22% ratio in-between gears, this makes an amazing difference in on-road travel. Especially hills. Also for that type of travel (overland, with lots of highway in-between) I would try to get the OM366a, it has a smoother power band, rev's lower (quieter in the cab for long travel), consumes less oil, and make sure the vehicle is equip with fast axles (almost standard with fitment of the OM366a, due to the lower rev's, they put fast axles in to make up for the lower speed of the engine). Get all you can fitted while in Germany, as shipping heavy mog components gets pricey. Keep in mind you can't have the Claas Overdrive and standard PTO, they both bolt to the back of the engine, so it's one or the other (only mention because you might find a nice truck with a skookum PTO winch for self recovery, so its something to keep in mind)

Other considerations should be the L37. This indicates a 3700mm wheelbase instead of a 3250mm wheelbase (usually...be careful, the RW1's are usually labelled as L37's but are in fact 3250mm) this gives you a longer base for a camper should you decide to build your own, with a slight compromise to offroad prowess due to the break-over angle.

Both these trucks were 1988's, OM366a, fast axles, the Firetruck had a Claas overdrive (I installed it), and the Krankenwagen was upgraded to 245hp.

After wash (15).jpgAfter wash (16).jpg

Last edited:

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
You have my strongest regards for your lifestyle choice and as I contemplate where I want this to go, yours is one of the examples I use as a marker. Astounding commitment, and well done!
Thanks very much, getting off the work-a-day roundabout and living on the road was the best thing I ever did. Should you do similar I'm sure you will never regret it, you know what they say, old people never regret what they did, only what they didn't do.

MBDSLPWR

Trev - great information, thank you very much. Right now, Andy doesn't seem to have any 435's/U1300's for sale. Guess I'll send an email.

I've read up a bit on the Claas overdrives, so am considering a pritsche / Zeppelin Funk Kabine Mod. 1 for lower initial cost, then having Schussler add the Claas afterwards. Not tied to any specific path as yet. The Krankenwagens seem like to require the least modifications, so they're on the list, too.

I am heading to Engel and Engel in Rohrbach tomorrow to look around, just to get my hands and eyes on some options.

But holy heck - the OM366A's with fast axles seem hard to come by!

Any other good businesses are appreciated. I've got until spring to find one, but if I can get one for winter, it might help my commute! :)

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Trev - great information, thank you very much. Right now, Andy doesn't seem to have any 435's/U1300's for sale. Guess I'll send an email.

I've read up a bit on the Claas overdrives, so am considering a pritsche / Zeppelin Funk Kabine Mod. 1 for lower initial cost, then having Schussler add the Claas afterwards. Not tied to any specific path as yet. The Krankenwagens seem like to require the least modifications, so they're on the list, too.

I am heading to Engel and Engel in Rohrbach tomorrow to look around, just to get my hands and eyes on some options.

But holy heck - the OM366A's with fast axles seem hard to come by!

Any other good businesses are appreciated. I've got until spring to find one, but if I can get one for winter, it might help my commute! :)

Here's some good reading then, whole list of vendors:

http://www.billcaid.com/UnimogRepair/ZenAndMogMaintenance.html

He doesn't always have all his mogs listed, he does a LOT of exporting.

I'd personally recommend:

Andy @ VKcars (as mentioned)
Merex
Hellgeth
Schussler

North America:
Eurotech
Eurotruck
Expedition Imports

The others may be just as good, but I only feel comfortable recommending ones I've personally dealt with.

Keep in mind, an OM366a with "fast axles" will have the same top speed as an OM352a with regular axles. (85-88km/h) this is due to the OM366a's lower RPM, thus, adding the Claas overdrive will get you 22% faster, though mogs are not speed demons, so if you can cruise around at 90km/h, you'll save fuel, it will be quieter in the cab, and less oil consumption.

Also to keep in mind, the EX-BW machines are pretty bare. My RW1 was the same price as a good EX-BW Krankenwagen, but had some added options:

BIG Werner 5t winch (mid frame mount)
Exhaust Brake - this makes a massive difference in portal temperatures and brake wear going down long hills.
Hydraulic system (single spool, just for the winch)
Better drivers seat and interior upholstery
Pressurized cab (to keep smoke and dust out)
All 8 gears (16 with the claas overdrive) worked in forwards and reverse. Most of the military trucks the gearbox is limited to reverse in only 1-4, you may think "so? Why the heck would I want to use 5th gear or above in reverse?" truth is, I used 5th in reverse all the time, its nice just to leave the truck in 5th and be able to instantly go backwards.

Along with a few other added benefits. Just some things to keep in mind. Ex-Firetrucks can be had in great shape, low km's, excellent service records, and if your changing the box anyway..you can put whatever you want on the back.

The EX-BW trucks however do have the deep fording system (most anyway), that only SOME fire-mogs have, mine was not so equipt, but some firetruck are optioned with the system. Have the data card and SA numbers pulled for whatever Unimog your looking to purchase.

Also roof hatch. The EX-BW mogs have the man hatch, the firetrucks, only some did, I think it's a cool feature for watching wildlife, or whatever. Not a make it or break it option, but something to keep in mind if you want it.

Last edited:

MBDSLPWR

Equal top speed - I should know that.

FYI, I just lost out on this one:
http://feuerwehr.de/markt/anzeige.php?&r=9&fr=3&z=1&n=33972&fhz=1
I was to check it this weekend, but told yesterday it sold to a buyer in Hungary. 27k km, $36k, looked quite minty fresh.
Theory was, as you said: if the box goes, mox nix. I'd have modified the box, or sold it off to fund a custom pritsche bed.

Didn't know about the exhaust brake, good - thanks.
Like the winch - have had that in mind as a factor also.
Didn't know about the pressurized cab - thanks.
DID hear about the deep fording kit absence.
Had heard ex-BW's were 4-gear reverse.

Ah! SA Numbers:
http://www.unimog-community.de/phpBB3/sonderausstattung-sa-codes-nummerisch-t52314.html

Roof hatch = neat, but low priority. Beifahrersitzplatz is a factor - the kid's going to love that.

Trev, thanks for the education. All will be considered in the final equation. Lovely problem to solve.

Another nice option is working gears (5.76:1) but I think it didn't come on Bundeswehr Unimogs.
The option code is G20.

Charlie

Last edited:

MBDSLPWR

Found an ex-BW Unimog today. Notes:
19,200km
Very minimal rust
Overhauled (I'm pretty certain)
Ran fine on a test drive in the yard
Updated H&K rifle mounts(!)
Seats were fine
Roof liner and hatch were fine
Clear and clean underside
Mismatched front/rear tires, but rears and spare were new and fronts had good tread remaining
Dash had no notable scratches or marks
Pritsche bed had no rust
No leaks noted, evidence of leak via dampness at one disc brake
Snow chains, extra bulbs, tool roll were present.
Turned over and started immediately. I figured, what with multiple fleets of vehicles in the yard, this one had been sitting for a long time (spider webs and all) and would need a jump.
Eur14,500
THEN discovered the seller had a radio cabin on hand. With chains. He said he'd mount it to the pritsche for Eur1,500, including the chains. So, Eur16,000 all in.
Not turbo, not fast axles.
But the price leaves enough to install a Claas overdrive...

-Can anyone pull SA numbers from a VIN?
-How to confirm depot overhaul? Passengers side has a sticker "Überholt durch SIZ 890 mat Erh Stufe 3, 09/97" so I'm thinking that's it.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Überholt durch SIZ 890 mat Erh Stufe 3, 09/97" means: it was refurbished at the system instandsetzungs 890 on sept. 1997. Level 3, What ever that means...

For the pressure cabin: As far as I remember all of our unimogs had the over pressure system as part of making the headlights, axles and cab watertight. Not sure if there was a special filter build in to keep smoke out... but it certainly made your ears pop when you turned it on ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior