If GM made a DIESEL half-ton Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban, would you?...

Would you buy one?

• Yes, $49,900 for a new 1/2 ton crew DSL 4x4....I'M IN!

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • No, leave the diesel option for the big trucks

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

Kaisen

Explorer
If GM offered their new half-ton Silverado/Sierra, Tahoe/Yukon, and Suburban/Yukon XL for the US market with a 4.5L V8 Diesel, would you buy one?

It's well known that GM has a fully developed 4.5L V8 "baby Duramax" that is ready for production. Let's say they brought it to market, making 325 hp and 525 lb-ft torque
Compare that to the current 5.3L V8 at 355 hp and 383 lb-ft, or the 6.2L V8 at 420 hp and 460 lb-ft

Backed by the same 6L80E (non-Allison) 6 speed automatic, let's say a 4x4 would get 25% better fuel economy. So instead of 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway, the diesel would be EPA rated at 20 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.

Let's say the option price was $5000 over the 5.3L V8, or $3500 over the 6.2L V8

Would you buy a NEW 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab All Terrain Diesel 4x4 (rated 20/25 mpg) for $49,900?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Not only no, but hell NO. Nothing against GM diesels, I just am not modern diesel fan. Something about working for a diesel engine manufacturer and dealing with them day in and day out has turned me completely off of diesels. The old days of simple and reliable diesels like 12V Cummins, 6.2L GM and (I suppose 6.9L and 7.3L Navistar diesels) are gone.

Sure, fuel economy is greater with a diesel but it only takes one major diesel engine repair (turbo, injectors, high pressure pump, etc.) to wipe out all fuel economy savings spread out over years. I personally feel the only way to own a diesel is the same way to have a German luxury. Lease it, flog it and give it back at the end of the term before it starts costing you out the nose.

All that said, you will see a lot of push for diesels by manufacturers in the coming years as they need all the help they can get to increase their CAFE numbers. Hell, the push has already started as Audi is now making a big marketing splash for diesels, GM is ramping up a marketing campaign for the US diesel Colorado, etc. There is no shortage of diesel fanboys out there that will buy them too, which is fine if they keep them short term and ditch them before they run out of warranty. It’s unlikely you will ever see a diesel in my driveway unless it is an old 5.9L.

EXPO is the ONLY community that I frequent out all automotive, fleet and industry related forums that really embrace diesels. The fleet and commercial world is trying to figure out how to get away from diesels altogether. Look at UPS, which is one of the largest fleets in the US, they are getting rid of their older diesel delivery package cars and replacing them with Workhorse and Freightliners with GM gasoline engines for durability reasons.

evilfij

Explorer
Short of violating federal law, none of the new big diesels are any good IMHO. Most of what made diesels great is gone. They are no longer simple, they are no longer completely mechanical, they are no longer life of the vehicle engines, and a lot of the fuel economy gains are gone because of emissions junk.

The first generation of direct injection diesels were the best (12v cummins, rover Tdi, merc, powerstroke, VW 1.9).

POS

I just bought a 2013 Suburban 2500 4x4, so I'd be out of he market until 2016. However, if there's a diesel option by then, I'll be buying one. All the utility with better mpg - I'd be in.

And yes, I too don't care much for the modern diesels.

D

Deleted member 9101

Nope, the increased gas mileage would be offset by having to use a more expensive fuel, combine that with higher maintenance cost and it would be a pretty big failure.

Rot Box

Explorer
Nope not me. Cut and past what Larry said.

$50,000 dollars would take me a lot of places. A GM dealership would not be one of those places :coffeedrink:

Huffy

Observer
No Thanks, been there, done that with GM. Had a 1/2 ton 4WD Diesel. Junk, Junk, Junk, and the new ones are likely worse. I love diesels but, a good gasser is hard to beat and in this class the only thing a diesel does is eat up precious cargo capacity.

Grasslakeron

Explorer
No. 50k for a new truck. Rusts out in 8 years , worth 3 cents at that point. 7 grand depreciation a year and 40 cents more a gallon. Well buy a 1979 ford f150 for 3 grand, rebuild in used parts when it brakes and get 15 mpg like your new dodge power wagon. 25 mpg is no big deal......

Ron

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
First off, no IFS truck, second, no hideously ugly GM, third, well you get the point by now. I'm not in. Not even a little bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke