So I bought a M1013A - Now What?

Texan

I have wanted to buy a military trailer to make an expedition type trailer. One of the folks donw the street had a M1013A for sale for $450, so, I figured if it didn't quite work out correctly I could always resale the trailer. I was thinking about a roof top tent until I realized they cost upwards of $1000, and being somewhat frugal (okay, call me cheap) I decided to go a bit differently. I wanted to put a water tank in it, and a raised floor to store the camping equipment but I also wanted have some things set up on it so it would make camping a bit more convenient. But it will be a long term project while I work on other things as a side project as a bit of a diversion.

Attachments

• M101A3 Front.jpg
    M101A3 Front.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 100
  • M101A3 Back.jpg
    M101A3 Back.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 87

Texan

So I bought a M1013A - Now What? Part 2

I had a trailer light kit in my garage collecting dust so I decided it needed a new home. The first shows the mil spec wiring junction, the next the 15 or 20 lbs of mi spec wiring and lights and the third the DOT approved lights.

Attachments

• M101A3 lite wire junction.jpg
    M101A3 lite wire junction.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 84
  • M101A3 Mil Lite harness.jpg
    M101A3 Mil Lite harness.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 84
  • M101A3 DOT Tail Lites.jpg
    M101A3 DOT Tail Lites.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 87

Yardbird

I modified one a couple of years ago. I used a 20 gallon juice barrel in its side in a home built rack as a water tank. Used a propane cylinder bracket off of a forklift to hold my propane. Built a drawer that rolls on barn door track to access all my junk. Took the side rails off the sides and hemmed the canvas 16 inches. Built a rack the complete length of the trailer, mounted 2 LED flood lights on each side, and used quick fists to mount a hi-lift, ax, and shovel on one side. Used a 6 gang marine panel to control the water pump and lights ..... Oh and an 8' ARB awning with mosquito netting.... Will post pics later.

Texan

So I bought a M1013A - Now What? Part 3

This is the 30 gallon water tank I bought. I was thinking of using 20 gallon, but for the price the 30 gallon gives me a bit more time out. It is a bit taller than I wanted and will raise my floor a bit. I will have to make a taller ladder for to get in the tent. As soon as I can get it to load a few more pictures I will show the pickup tent I bought for it.

Attachments

• 30 Gallon Water Tank.jpg
    30 Gallon Water Tank.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 58

Texan

So I bought a M1013A - Now What? Part 4

Here is the water pump I bought. $40 some so it is a good price for a demand flow pump but it is 2.9 gallons/minute. So I will have make sure and be very miserly with water usage or it will run my tank dry pretty quickly. This will especially be true if the campgrounds doesn't have a shower facility! My wife likes showers.:Wow1:Water Pump.jpg

Texan

So I bought a M1013A - Now What? Part 5

Okay, with a water pump I need power, so a deep cycle battery and solar charger should do it. I have a 3hp Briggs and Stratton motor and a self exciting alternator I have been going to turn into a little genset for a few years, so I may finally get around to that and use it for back up on cloudy days. Oh, and I am also thinking about putting in a radio and installing waterproof speakers into the side of the trailer.

Anyway, here is the solar charger Harbor Freight had on sale for $139, which adding my 25% off coupon to and I got a pretty good deal on it.:)

Attachments

• Solar Panel Kit.jpg
    Solar Panel Kit.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Solar Panel Kit test.jpg
    Solar Panel Kit test.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 50

Texan

So I bought a M1013A - Now What? Part 6

Okay, last one for awhile. I have a business trip coming up and won't be able to do anything to the trailer for awhile, but this is the tent I bought. And I can't show it without it being in the trailer. I don't have in the water tank or raised floor, so that will raise the tent up a foot, but this at least gives an idea of how the tent will look. I am trying to decide what to do with the rails and a cover, but will play that by ear. One picture without and one with the fly.

Attachments

• Tent for M101A3.jpg
    Tent for M101A3.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 68
  • Tent in Trailer No Fly.jpg
    Tent in Trailer No Fly.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Tent in Trailer Side View.jpg
    Tent in Trailer Side View.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 62

Texan

I am still debating whether to use them or not. It will depend on where the tent sits when I get the raised floor put in. However, I will be selling the milspec wiring and lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier