iOS 7.0 arrives Sept 18

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple's iOS 7.0 is a major update to the operating system found in iPhones and iPads. iOS 7.0 will be released on Sept 18. That's today. The update will be free, and will be downloadable from Apple through iTunes.

A great many changes have been made to the new iOS, not the least of which is a complete re-write as a 64 bit system (up from 32 bit iOS 6). More than 200 features have been changed or added, according to Apple.

The new iOS will run on most, but not all, iPhone and iPad models. The iPhone 3GS (which is 3 years old) and the iPad 1 (two years old) will have to stick with iOS 6.

App developers have had access to early versions of iOS 7 for months. New versions of apps will be released around Sept 18 to take advantage of iOS 7. But reports have surfaced that many updated apps still don't run correctly, or have poor performance, under iOS 7. Apple is already working on an update, iOS 7.0.1, to fix problems. For example, see:
http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/15/ios-7...ready-seeing-widespread-testing-inside-apple/

So I suggest waiting for a couple of weeks (if not longer) before upgrading. Give the developers and Apple time to straighten out the kinks.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
So I suggest waiting for a couple of weeks (if not longer) before upgrading. Give the developers and Apple time to straighten out the kinks.

I don't like being a beta tester so I wait for the early adopters to find bugs and wait for developers to hopefully fix the problems.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Big shift...

With the jump from 32 bit to 64 bit, my guess is most of the apps you have today wont work, at least not for a good while. That is unless they have some pretty crazy good 32 bit emulation working within the OS? Not even sure that is possible on that platform? That is a fundamental shift in platform development, but sure allows for better performance and resource utilization. I cant WAIT for the 400 posts from my iFriends on FB about how it blew up everything and they lost all the stuff again!

NOT.

Still sounds like a big upgrade!

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple has released version 7.0.2 of iOS. It fixes a bug that allowed people to bypass the login screen.

I updated my iPad to iOS 7 the other day. The download took about 5 minutes on my home WiFi, and another 5 minutes to install and reboot. No problems to report, and all data on the iPad is still intact. I did have to update many of the apps on the iPad, which took another 20 minutes or so.

I chose one of the more colorful wallpapers. The new desktop icons didn't look right against the old "raindrops on the window" wallpaper.

I also turned off the desktop parallax view that makes the icons seem to move against the wallpaper. I found that "feature" to be a little unsettling. Here's how:
Open the Settings app, select General, select Accessibility, tap "Reduce Motion" and slide that button to the right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles