Taking a Sportsmobile on a Round-the-World Trip

Doin_It

Adventurer
Anything is doable.......a couple (she's 27, he's 32) are coming to spend a few weeks with us next week. Have never meet them, but they are from Argentina, the took a limo...yes limo, converted the inside, and have just driven it from Argentina to Alaska,and will stay here for a while,then go to Vancouver and ship it home. I just read an article of the first documented Jeep JK to go from Europe to South Africa.....you'd have thought more would have done that, but no. If ******** and Pip Smith could take a Earthroamer around the world, why not you?
Smith is a multi-millionaire though, but when he broke down he had to just wait for part.

Not RTW but we will be leaving Spring 2015 to attend Expo West, follow the weather to Alaska then turning around to drive the Pan-Am. We are home building a 2001 7.3 E-350 and have just swapped the 4x4 system to a Ujoint. It would be cool if our paths cross so feel free to hit us up.

-John

remco

Observer
Hi, we are on expedition around central Asia on our Ford Bronco 5.8 L. 1991. Of course here or in Europe is not possible to get some parts for these trucks. But lot of parts have with and for example when we were in Georgia (non US:) In Tbilisi and need new Fuel pump, we order it from US rockauto directly via fedex tu fedex office in Tbilisi. Only 4 days and we have new Fuel pump in asian country. But mechanics here are great and they usually can make all stuffs in small garage with hole...

Now we are very happy with Bronco on our expedition. (3 months on route, 14 000 km from home, now in Uzbekistan). When we will have children, our next project will be Ford sportsmobile!

Check our trip on Facebook : bronconamiestohotela

Patriot

Observer
It's Done! Got a diesel RB Sportsmobile. Will be small yes but will be most versatile and fun to drive. ETA takeoff in a year! Thanks for your feedback. Definitely helped in our decision.

Cool.. Keep us posted... Getting ready to leave soon?

grogie

Like to Camp
Hi, we are on expedition around central Asia on our Ford Bronco 5.8 L. 1991. Of course here or in Europe is not possible to get some parts for these trucks. But lot of parts have with and for example when we were in Georgia (non US:) In Tbilisi and need new Fuel pump, we order it from US rockauto directly via fedex tu fedex office in Tbilisi. Only 4 days and we have new Fuel pump in asian country. But mechanics here are great and they usually can make all stuffs in small garage with hole...

Now we are very happy with Bronco on our expedition. (3 months on route, 14 000 km from home, now in Uzbekistan). When we will have children, our next project will be Ford sportsmobile!

Check our trip on Facebook : bronconamiestohotela

I flipped through your Facebook pictures. Thanks for sharing as it looks like an adventure for sure! :)

laukwantaieric

I am also in the same boat more or less. While I think SMB had a ton of advantage in terms of level of comfy, ease of parking, stealth camping, not having to go outside of the car when you change from driving to sleep/eat/cook.

I also worry if the 4x4 conversion, the life, and all the conversion is might leave me a car that is very hard to find parts for repairing, in comparison to, say, a pickup truck with a camper back.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...I also worry if the 4x4 conversion, the life, and all the conversion is might leave me a car that is very hard to find parts for repairing, in comparison to, say, a pickup truck with a camper back.

Guess that depends on the pickup truck but say you're thinking of a Ford E350 Sportsmobile and a Ford F350 with a slide-in camper...
Same engine. Same transmission. Same axles. Same belt-driven accessories, fuel pumps, suspension parts, etc etc etc.
Sportsmobile vs Camper has same parts availability of furnaces, stoves, refrigerators, pumps, tanks, toilets, etc etc etc.
The main differences would be in access to parts for troubleshooting, etc and since you're comparing a factory built camper (presumably) to a factory built Sportsmobile, likely comparable but at least with Sportsmobile you could have input on such things.
Both viable platforms for the trip with tons of shared components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles