Has anyone used a Chalet Arrowhead or A-Liner Classic Off road?

Anonymark

Observer
Strange question, but other than one conversion build on here http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/28585-Chalet-Arrow-into-off-road-Arrow

Has anyone bought a Chalet Arrowhead Trail Boss http://www.chaletrv.com/folding-trailers/arrowhead

260.jpg

and pulled it behind a lifted Jeep?

Or taken them on Forest Service roads?

Wife and I did the tent camping thing on our 2 week trip and found that we really liked the A frame pop up that we saw another couple using. We would be using it mainly on the highway and some dirt roads, but we might take it out to Point Sublime, or Tuweep. I'm thinking it would tow fine with the "Off road " package, tires, and lift that A Liner or Chalet offers, and a MULTI AXIS COUPLER ( http://www.adventuretrailers.com/coupler.html )

I'm looking at staying under 15 feet for the total length.

We talked about a RTT and that would entail a roof rack, so I'm already into a couple grand.. A pop up would be more, but i could also use it with our other truck, and leave it as a base camp....

Thank you....

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I have owned two Chalets, fantastic little trailer. I normally stop and talk to anyone I see pulling one. I have heard complaints on the Aliner regarding the tongue several times, but had been repaired. The Aliner comes with the Dexter Torflex, the Chalet standard springs and axle. The off road packages, offer nothing as far as strength go, just looks different with the lift and front covering. I am not sure how much they charge for it. I looked at the Chalet Trail boss a few months ago. It does have a mostly box tubing frame. My guess is either with an articulating hitch would be just great. For serious off roading though I would look into a stronger latching system. I took mine off road several times and the twisting would unlock one side occasionally.

Hard sides, all the extras, make it a fantastic pop up and it sets up in less than 30 seconds. Simply amazing inside as far as size and design.

INSAYN

Adventurer
My parents have a 2008 Aliner Classic, and I would not suggest pulling that down much more than a smooth gravel road in it's stock form. Even for normal highway use, I plan to build a stronger subframe and give it some extra clearance, as it is silly low riding.

The stock frame on this Aliner is pretty weak especially under the door area. The frame kinda wraps around the axle and opens the door gap too much allowing for leaks.

Other than that, I would also suggest better brackets that connect all of the cabinets together, as well as to the trailer. Very low quality, and bare minimal.

If I were a guy looking to go with the design of these interesting popups, I would purchase used. Then build a totally custom stronger frame with choice suspension, stronger tongue, and move the whole box over to that.
Interior cabinetry would be made of better material, with stronger attachment points.

One more thing to put out there, is that these units are really not comfortable in high heat or hot humid climates. The roof and side wall insulation is not like a normal RV, and the mass amount of windows really let the heat in.
Cross ventilation is tough to achieve as the sliding windows are small for the area they inhabit.

Now, don't get me wrong here as I really love my parents little trailer.
It is perfect for them in our PNW weather, in fact they are great in temps 25ºF - 80ºF. Anything below and it's tough to keep warm, anything above and it is tough to cool.
Great in the rain!

Anonymark

Observer
Thank You! I was wondering how strong the frame was. I'm leaning towards a used model, then upgrading the axle and tongue. We are only going to do forest roads, nothing extreme, so I'm thinking a used and some upgrades, and welding will work ok. I wasn't sure how the "Off Road" packages differed other than axle and maybe some diamond plate.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Depends on what off road is. Parks, fire roads, dirt roads the frame on the Chalet is more than adequate. Would I pull it on the Rubicon, John Bull or others no. Would I pull it over Imogene pass, most likely, with no damage.

The good part about it is it has a box tubing frame, so it can added to, cross members replace quite easily. I had thought about doing that years ago, but I ended up selling my last to Wikid in Phoenix, he was going to do the same, but do not think he has yet.

Not an expedition trailer by any means, but I don't think many of the sleep inside type trailers listed on here are either. meh

Anonymark

Observer
skersfan and insayn, Thanks, just fire roads, nothing extreme. Our last trip I think could have handled the trailer with some better tires and a small lift. The only place I think I would have had trouble was a section of the Butler Wash Road which was very very muddy and very tight after all the torrential rains out there in Colorado. We had parked to hike. I'm really leaning towards a used Chalet and then having the local trailer place put in a new axle, some diamond plate, new tounge and maybe beef up the cross bars.

I'm really liking the idea more and more and so does the wife. We are not hard core off roaders, more of the take a forest road to camp people.

I sense a build thread coming in the next year or so....

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I have actually contacted Chalet about purchasing a roof, for a custom one I was thinking about making. Too proud of them for my blood. I think for normal camping you will very happy with it. My first one was just fantastic, in perfect condition when I bought. Only sold it because we had 4 great danes trying to sleep in it when camping. Not quite enough room!!!!!.

I personally think the Chalet is better, and now Rockwood is making one. I have not looked at it. Chalets normally hold their value. Once you have one, you really get to liking them. The set up, and the hard walls make it much better than the canvas sided ones.

Have a ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne