Lets talk slightly used suburbans

plumber mike

Adventurer
We currently have a 2007 chevy tahoe. We can call it "her" car. We usually take her car on trips. It's the newest. It gets the best fuel mileage. It has amenities that we like on long trips.....but it is too small for a family of four, a 90 lb chocolate lab, and usually, too much stuff.

My wife doesn't want to daily drive a 4wd van, so a suburban it is. 2007 is the year of the 2500 I found locally and I have been looking for nnbs 2500's.....rare bird it seems. Why? Will a 1500 do it more comfortably and economically?

We live on a dirt road in snow country, and will likely see 100 miles a day of mixed use 25/50/25 dirt,local paved,highway.

We are torn between the comfort and economy of a 1500 vs the durability, power and potentially higher resale of the 2500. Fuel economy is somewhat of a concern, but not a deal breaker. I like the beef of the 2500 and she likes the smooth ride and better fuel mileage of the 1500.

Both motors are proven enough for me(6.0 vs 5.3), but the cylinder deactivation on 5.3s has some potentially negative affects on long term motor life, I think....

What say the portal people?....and thank you

Kaisen

Explorer
Have you considered a Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L? Or a 2010 Suburban LTZ with the 6.2L and traditional hi/lo TC?

plumber mike

Adventurer
Neither of us liked the extra bling of the LTZ package on the outside, or the extra faux wood grain on the inside. I haven't looked too closely at the Denali/Escalade platform. I was under the impression they were AWD and therefore lacking a low range tcase, plus again the bling thing. We both prefer the Chevy frontend for this particular generation truck. My wife's tahoe rides much better to us on 17's rather than 20's. ....but a Lightly used Denali with a 6.2 is certainly still an option.

As with some, but not all, budget is a concern. The 07 2500 lt3 burb with 79k had a 25k asking and the new 13 LTZ was 64K!!

The original plan was to swap the tahoe for a suburban of the same vintage/mileage for little to no out of pocket expense.

Kaisen

Explorer
In those years the 6.2L is the better motor of the three (6.0 and 5.3). Especially a 2007 which would not yet have the 6 speed transmission where the 6.2L Denali XL would. The 6.2L gets much better fuel economy than the 6.0L, and doesn't suffer the same issues with active fuel management (8 to 4 mode) that plagued the 2007 5.3L.

2010 was the only year that the 6.2L was offered in a Suburban with the 4x4 transfer case, and only in the LTZ. It would be the AWD transfer case in any Denali. Although I'm guessing you'll feel differently, your wife will never really need low range. I live in snow country (much more snow than the Black Hills) and have zero need for low range.

More advice you won't like: consider a Lambda. Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave. Bigger inside than a Tahoe. Fold-flat seats, so with the third row folded there is the same rear floor space as a Suburban with the third row tumbled forward. But better in every other attribute. More leg room and headroom for all three rows, better ride, better fuel economy, better power-to-weight ratio, more minimum ground clearance, etc.

If you still want a Suburban with a 4x4 transfer case, buy the newest one you can afford. Try to get the 6 speed transmission, it really helps with both power and fuel economy. And the newer the rig, the less issues with AFM.

I see no reason why you'd need a 2500, but maybe it's a "want". Resale might be higher, but you also pay more up front so it's a wash. All of the chassis wear items are nearly double the cost (tires, brakes, shocks, bearings, suspension bits, etc). Plus, you'll have 100 times more 1500s to choose from so you're more likely to find a nice one at a good value.

YMMV

plumber mike

Adventurer
Thank you for taking the time to respond with such a detailed and informative post.

I decided to let the 2500 deal pass. The 2500 is not a need at all. Our largest trailer is an 8' pick up box. Low range is rarely if ever used on this particular truck. She likes the auto transfer case, and will not get out and lock hubs. My 1990 3/4 ton has been such a reliable beast, but I have to remember the new ones are completely different animals, and will do different jobs.

I think we are going to look at Denali/Escalade next. The 2010 burb with a 6.2 and 2 speed tcase sounds like a winner, if I can locate one. Most of the 07/08 units we have seen so far are kinda ratty compared to the tahoe we have, so upping the budget, and opening the search to includes 1/2 tons, ,GMCs and caddys should help.

What are the major differences between the escalade and Denali ? Just fluff stuff?

plumber mike

Adventurer
......and to show you how I've grown into a more open minded man over the years, I'm going to check out the "other" not real SUVs. To be quite honest, an AWD town and country would probably get the job done. One of the big reasons for the suburban size( or AWD express even) is to have a place big enough to sleep in the back.

We have also thought of just throwing the "upgrade" money into the 98 to make it a reliable purpose built road tripper. It fits the bill, but has a quarter million miles on it. We had planned to just sell it and the tahoe both and get one good suburban.

Kaisen

Explorer
One of the big reasons for the suburban size( or AWD express even) is to have a place big enough to sleep in the back.

The GMC Acadia/Chevrolet Traverse interiors are 87" long (7'3") from the front center console to the liftgate, and a minimum of 49" wide (4'1") and the floor is flat when the second and third row seats are folded (takes 20 seconds, literally). So they are quite comfortable sleeping quarters for two adults. For comparison, a Suburban is 101" long (8'5") and a Tahoe 81" long (6'9").

The only All Wheel Drive minivan left is the Toyota Sienna. Chrysler hasn't made one for over ten years. The Sienna is 96" long (8') at the floor (so 9" longer than the Traverse/Acadia). But you have to physically remove the second row seats to have a flat floor. Kinda hard to do on a trip.

Resale value on minivans sucks relative to SUV/CUVs. If you're buying used, that may play into your favor. Just something to consider. Fuel economy, btw, is actually a couple mpgs better in the Traverse/Acadia AWD compared to the Sienna AWD. A 5.3L 6 speed 4x4 Suburban gets the same freeway rating (21 mpg) as the Sienna AWD.

madmax718

Explorer
If you have no need for towing, or heavy work, the traverse is a better overall vehicle for your needs. I think it still tows 3500 or 5000 lbs.

I don't believe the AWD sienna can.

I have thought about the need for the truck built SUV. Our 1997 Yukon is about as truck like as can be, but the newer ones are huge cars. I glanced at the Traverse/Acadia and thought it would be a great fit with the 6 person seating. The Yukon with 3rd row makes 6 adults very comfortable with one carseat and is paid for. The Acadia is $30,000 + and built on a strong car chassis, but if it is a kid hauler and "wife controlled radio station" vehicle the smaller V6 SUV are very comfortable on long trips. Our inlaws have an 2010 Equinox, and it is great for 4 adults and one carseat with 4cyl economy. While the GM comerrcials will make the CUV super tough and truck like, it is not....but you already have a truck!!

My plan with my Yukon is to put a diesel powerplant with 4L80E or if I am really crazy swap the body to a 6.6L/Allison chassis and have a great fuel economy Mini-Burb. SO don't rule out your 1998...get mama just enough newer car and build the 1998 Burb into a very comfortable traveler that gets truly respectable mileage for what you ask of it.

Kaisen

Explorer
If you have no need for towing, or heavy work, the traverse is a better overall vehicle for your needs. I think it still tows 3500 or 5000 lbs.

I don't believe the AWD sienna can.

The Traverse AWD will tow 5,200 pounds

The Sienna AWD will tow 3,500 pounds

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd still wait for a good 2500 'burban. Devils in the details, the 2500's seem to get the good stuff. And a stiff ride is a safe ride. Setup some cones and slalom through. The 2500 toasts the 1500. But both could use some improved shocks. And I found the 5.3 to be a dog, which is really bad when you consider I drive a 7000 pound truck with a Ford 5.4L in it!
-
As long as you're open minded. Take a look at crew cab trucks. Usually that's all the seating you need, and a bed hauls cargo better than the back of a 'burban. Crate the dog and throw him in the bed. Is dog, they'll get over it, or possibly even enjoy it like mine does.
-
Any GM dealers going to let me test drive a Traverse minivan if I drop my 5000 pound trailer in their parking lot??? Good luck with that.

Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
Luxury problems. How could I complain about a thing? My wife and I are very happy with the tahoe for local trips. It really is a good, reliable (slightly boring) vehicle. The $600 salvage titled 98 Burb has proved it's reliability and economy on a recent trip to Bozeman (19 mpg!), but with the mileage it won't do that forever.

If I "love on" the 98, I could have a purpose built road tripper, and continue to rack up miles on the tahoe rather cheaply now( currently has 70k for mileage)

So after realizing that a 2500 suburban was not the best vehicle to fill the want that we have, even though i thought i really wanted one. I'm going to keep my money in my pocket, and use it for gas to go have new adventures in an older vehicle:bike_rider:

Thank you guys for your help! Hopefully I can return the favor, and also maybe start a build thread on the 98!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke