Rolling Solar

Google it Research

Master of Disaster
Hi Everyone,

Last year I purchased a home built Jeep trailer. My initial plan was to haul extra camping gear (luxuries), but after seeing so many awesome builds I was motivated to do more with it. Since I regularly tailgate and usually haul a generator to power my 32" LCD tv w/directv receiver I thought why not mount solar? So, I mounted 2x Kyocera 100 watt panels on the lid which charge a 115 amp hour battery via a charge controller. It will be used to charge the occasional ipod, charge my Bose portable speaker, and on occasion (weather permitting) power my TV setup. I have installed a cigarette plug (waterproof) above each wheel well and a 2.1 amp USB charging port inside. I've yet to mount my sine inverter, but that will get done this weekend.

So, I thought I would share my project. I encourage any constructive feedback. Thanks for looking-
IMAG0401.jpg
Warning I just took the pictures (dark outside) but it gives you an idea. I used 1" insulating foam (2 layers to stabilize the battery, works great). I used a bulkhead (aquarium part) to run a hole in the ice chest (battery storage, sorry but I never use this ice chest) to allow for some ventilation and the wires. I also installed spring loaded latches to keep the ice chest lid on when driving on the freeway. Please let me know if I should have more ventilation, but I plan on opening the lid while charging with the exception of when driving.
IMAG0399.jpgIMAG0402.jpg
OK, please again I would appreciate your thoughts-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94