My M416 - Yes, another one

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Got this little device from a friend. Going to be my project for tomorrow. I plan on mounting the spar underneath just in front of the axle. Will clear the leg and I'll make tabs to protect the brake cables. Should tuck very nicely.

ezyvumy3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stolenheron

Explorer
the m101's and other larger (humvee sized) trailers are ALL OVER the place where I am in Anniston, AL (right next to the Army Depot). I havent taken advantage of any GovLiq auctions yet even though they are close by, but so far, nothing I can use has popped up yet.

I see one M416 a few hours away but it is rusted pretty bad, and someone welded a standard ball coupler on there.....not worth the trouble.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Got the spare tire lift in and working. I ended up pulling the tub to make it easier to work on. The tire lifts into place just in front of the axle and is at the same level as the bottom of the axle. Should work just fine for my needs. I also had to figure out a way to raise/lower the tire. So I made a bar and welded an old socket to the end, drilled a hole through the frame inside the fender and voila! Bonus feature is that the access hole is hidden from plain sight.

She's ready for a shake down run and my upcoming trip.

u7ajusan.jpg

u7a5y2us.jpg

yqepuves.jpg

6u4uge4y.jpg

uhe7e9yp.jpg

ezeju8eg.jpg

Area52

Adventurer
I see one M416 a few hours away but it is rusted pretty bad, and someone welded a standard ball coupler on there.....not worth the trouble.

If the cut lunette is still on there, it may be salvageable.

This one was cut and a pinned ball hitch installed.

I was able to grind it off and get it sleeved, welded and re-pinned very inexpensively.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Great idea and craftment!

How would you like to secure it? :Wow1:

If you are referring to the tire being secure to the trailer, the mechanism is an OEM toyota spare tire hoist. If it works for toyota engineers it should work here.

If you are referring to someone stealing the spare, then that's different. The trailer lives in my garage, and unless you have the tool to lower it and know where the access is, you're not getting it off easily. Again, good enough for toyota engineers, should be good for me.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Loaded up the trailer tonight in preparation for the trip next week. Also got my heavy vinyl tarp in. Fit is a bit right but should work out just fine.

du2u2u2u.jpg

6ygemagy.jpg

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Bungee cord installed and the tarp is nice and taught. This shall do until I can get a lid.

juzubyju.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Workhorse

Observer
When ordering your Jet Connex cable for your M416, did you order directly from the Jet Connex website? What length did you order? I need to order a 4 pin flat model (both ends) and was wondering what exactly the Jet Connex cable came with when ordered.

Thank you.

Ross-

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Ross,

I did order direct. I ended up with the 3ft trailer connex as they only had purple in the jetconnex. Same deal only a flat black sheath rather than shiny. Both ends are molded 4 pin, one male and one female.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Working on a lid design. Want it out of aluminum and have to work around the brake size my buddy has. Came up with a 4 section lid, that will be riveted to form a single piece. The riveted joints should provide for added strength and eliminate the need for an internal frame out of tube.

with mock hard shell tent (closed position)

Got the spare tire lift in and working. I ended up pulling the tub to make it easier to work on. The tire lifts into place just in front of the axle and is at the same level as the bottom of the axle. Should work just fine for my needs. I also had to figure out a way to raise/lower the tire. So I made a bar and welded an old socket to the end, drilled a hole through the frame inside the fender and voila! Bonus feature is that the access hole is hidden from plain sight.

She's ready for a shake down run and my upcoming trip.

u7ajusan.jpg

u7a5y2us.jpg

yqepuves.jpg

6u4uge4y.jpg

uhe7e9yp.jpg

ezeju8eg.jpg

This is a great idea as far as a place to mount my spare, but where did you get the mounting hardware?

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Quick update. I'm picking up a RTT at the Overland Expo this weekend and still havn't built a lid. Unfortunately my friend cant bend my design on his brake. I'm still looking into other suppliers. In the mean time, I'm working on the hinge design and other details.

M416 LID Hinged.jpg

M416 Hinge Section.jpg

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
This is a great idea as far as a place to mount my spare, but where did you get the mounting hardware?

Sorry for such a late response.
The lift mechanism is out of a first gen toyota 4runner. I got it from a friend. I would imagine a junk yard or online supplier could source one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior