"Flushable" portable toilets - Brand preference?

Stereo

Adventurer
We're getting more and more resistant to digging cat holes for our waste because of the environmental impact and because often, it's hard to find a place where I can dig a sufficiently deep hole, even with an Army shovel. So I've been exploring toilets for our pop-up slide-in truck camper.

I don't like the ones that use a bag. Although I like the compactness and clean-out system of the Eco-Safe ammo box toilet, you have to seal it after every use. So despite their larger size, we're now considering a portable toilet of the sort that has an upper clean-water flush area and a lower, detachable 2.5 or 5 gal waste collection container so it's ready to use without setting it up each time.

The two toilets I'm considering at this point are the Dometic 960 or 970 series or the Earthtec toilet that claims a slicker upper bin. The latter doesn't seem to have much retail history and has limited distribution. The Dometic is supposedly a Swiss-made product and the company makes lots of different RV toilets. Does anyone have first-hand experience with either of these or a similar product?

We do a lot of bouncing around on forest roads/trails. Here's what I'd like to know about them:

1) Any leaks?
2) Comfortable seat?
3) How effective is the flushing mechanism?
4) Does it have a spout for easier pour-out of the waste?
5) Any issues with odor?
6) Is it durable, especially the latching mechanism?
7) Is the lid strong enough to use as a seat when not being used for elimination?

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
We're getting more and more resistant to digging cat holes for our waste because of the environmental impact and because often, it's hard to find a place where I can dig a sufficiently deep hole, even with an Army shovel. So I've been exploring toilets for our pop-up slide-in truck camper.

I don't like the ones that use a bag. Although I like the compactness and clean-out system of the Eco-Safe ammo box toilet, you have to seal it after every use. So despite their larger size, we're now considering a portable toilet of the sort that has an upper clean-water flush area and a lower, detachable 2.5 or 5 gal waste collection container so it's ready to use without setting it up each time.

The two toilets I'm considering at this point are the Dometic 960 or 970 series or the Earthtec toilet that claims a slicker upper bin. The latter doesn't seem to have much retail history and has limited distribution. The Dometic is supposedly a Swiss-made product and the company makes lots of different RV toilets. Does anyone have first-hand experience with either of these or a similar product?

We do a lot of bouncing around on forest roads/trails. Here's what I'd like to know about them:

1) Any leaks?
2) Comfortable seat?
3) How effective is the flushing mechanism?
4) Does it have a spout for easier pour-out of the waste?
5) Any issues with odor?
6) Is it durable, especially the latching mechanism?
7) Is the lid strong enough to use as a seat when not being used for elimination?

We have the 970 with 5 gallon tank. I bought it for the wife, it rarely got used by me, if ever.

1. No leaks. However you need to be extremely careful with changes in pressure/altitudes. I've been from sea level up to 8800ft, it didn't leak, but if you flush it improperly it can literally be, umm, explosive. You'll only do it once... Before use, with the lid closed, crack the flushing handle as there is one small hole for a vent. Allow the pressure to equalize.
2. Not comfortable. It's basically child size as they all are.
3. Not overly effective, but basically the same as any RV toilet I've used. Sometimes it is a good idea to keep a bottle of water around.
4. Yes it has a spout. It's relative easy to pour out, although not fun.
5. No.
6. Ours has been durable.
7. I'm only 170lbs and sitting on the lid felt questionable.

My comments sound negative, but it's just my general dislike for portable toilets. It is a good toilet for what it is.
Essentially ours was just emergency use. It works fine for what it is, but I'd rather go outside than clean it. My wife on the other hand really appreciated having it when she woke up in the middle of the night. Now that we sold the truck camper and camp in the jeep we don't really miss it.

WASURF63

Adventurer
IP9 100_5197.JPGHave this one......http://www.thetford.com/tabid/883/Default.aspx.
Bought it a few years back, no problems and completely happy with it.
Attached photo was from my previous Phoenix Pop-Up. Currently using it in the FWC

Does anyone have first-hand experience with either of these or a similar product?

1) Any leaks? None. Just make sure it's secured well to avoid tip over on the trail. In that event the only part I could see leaking is the flush tank,
and that only contains straight water.

2) Comfortable seat?That's a relative term. Are you looking for a comfortabe place to read a newspaper/magazine or just doing your business ?
3) How effective is the flushing mechanism? Very adequate. The bowl also doubles as a spitoon for tooth brushing.
4) Does it have a spout for easier pour-out of the waste?Yes, and very user friendly. Seperate the top from the bottom and take directly to any toilet.
5) Any issues with odor?None. A little toilet chem mixed with water does the trick.
6) Is it durable, especially the latching mechanism?Very secure and durable.
7) Is the lid strong enough to use as a seat when not being used for elimination?There's some flex, but it's strong enough for a lighter person. I don't make a habit of it at 220lbs.:)

mkish

Adventurer
I have a non-electric Thetford, medium height. Some people (tall people I guess) prefer the taller models which probably won't slide into the compartment. My expereince is pretty much the same as those above.

We usually have someone sleeping right next to it and he says it doesn't stink. And it doesn't. In fact, it seals so well it swells crossing mountains--you have to open the flusher valve to deflate it to get it out of the cabinet.

I do recommend that if you're planning on sticking it in a cabinet, measure first. (You know this already, but it's important!)

Captm

Adventurer
We use the "Curve" http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/PortableToilets/PortaPottiCurve/tabid/886/Default.aspx
Very comfy, doesn't leak*, easy to empty and has about fifty push button flushes (ymmv). Liked it so much I bought 2.
*Ours did leak do to the flush nozzle becoming unattached and pumping clean water into the body of the unit and leaking out. How it happened I'm not sure, maybe it came from the factory not inserted properly. Bought a second Curve, checked the nozzle - you would have to seriously damage the unit to get the nozzle to back out.

brian90744

American Trekker
My FYI on toilet

I found the Thetford toilets and other brands just too low & hard to squat down @ around 14” tall, and the unit bowls are plastic and #2 sticks, even when you use the toilet paper slide. Most home toilets are 16” tall, that why I changed to a sealed PETT system. It is just for emergency use (Wife). These units are a lot lighter and easier to clean also easier to move out of the storage compartment for use . No smell (odor)with cat litter, and the bags are easy to dispose. Just FYI

Attachments

• EPP toilet size.jpg
    EPP toilet size.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It's pitiful that I know enough about portable toilets to offer an expert opinion, but I strongly suggest that if you can find enough room for the Thetford Curve, you do so. It is a substantial upgrade over previous units. It has many good points, such as a quick but effective electric flush, but the two unbeatable points are the height and the sturdiness. The unit is nearly as comfortable to use as a home unit and it doesn't flex when you sit on it.

It's a little pricy, but the biggest issue is it's physical size, but that's what makes it the winner that it is. There is a locking plate that holds it in place against all sorts of off-pavement use that you might want to get. Also, it's best if you can mount it in a way that you can separate top from bottom before moving the unit, since the full unit is pretty heavy.

It's perhaps sad that a fancy toilet has made a big difference in my overlanding happiness, but Sprinter "bathroom" use is a happier thing for all users these days. Highly recommended.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Another Thetford user here.

Other than the previously mentioned caution about flushing after an altitude change, ours has done what it is supposed to do. Taller would be nicer, but wouldn't fit in the cubby hole in my camper. Just one of the compromises of a pop up camper.

craig333

Expedition Leader
The height doesn't bother me. I don't even fill the tank with water, just toss a cupful in when needed. Fitting in its spot is more important than anything else. Not much room in the camper.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Interesting idea. I notice no price list though. Something makes me think this is a pricey way to go.

Freebird

Adventurer
If you "bag" your waste, what do you do with the bag?
For public health reasons, a human waste bag should not be dumped in the trash-even if it is diluted with kitty litter.
I know, no one polices this, and I realize infant diapers go into trash cans, but it is still way less than ideal disposal.
The toilets that you pour the waste reservoir into a toilet or outhouse is much preferred from a "greater good" concept.

Why? Well those bags that go into the trash typically get compacted for transport. Bags break during compaction, spreading human waste (feces) onto the other trash and truck or bin. Flies find it (no surprise there, right?) and can/will carry disease from human to human.
That is why you bury feces deep enough to keep the flies off, and the reason pit outhouses have screens, and out house doors should be religiously kept closed.

Ok, I know it is not an ideal world, but wouldn't it be great if everyone tried to observe the obvious, reasonably easy steps to help make life better for others, therefore making life better for ourselves and our loved ones?

Something to consider, anyway.
Freebird

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne