-1973 K5 - Project Canyonero

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
you're the first person to say anything about it. I thought the truck from the show was a cross between a K5 and a Wagoneer, so I thought it was fitting.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
you're the first person to say anything about it. I thought the truck from the show was a cross between a K5 and a Wagoneer, so I thought it was fitting.

I approve of the name! It really made me laugh when I read the thread title.
I am surprised that no one has mentioned it before... I figured I just missed it earlier in the thread.

Love the simpsons...

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I like it because it pokes fun at the original intent of that episode, which was really VERY anti-SUV (and anit a lot of things). It's so funny that here only 15 years later so many of the "negatives" from the song are looked at so much more admirably (American made etc). They were torching Hummers, Burbs and Expeditions when that episode was new.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Still a great looking K5 you have there. I saw on the news the crazy weather you guys had in Texas. Makes you wonder whats happening to our planet when you see weather extremes like that... Keep us updated with pics of your fine truck. I cant get enough of your K5..:drool:

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
When I saw this picture I sang the little canyonero jingle and cracked a few whips in my head....

Nice k5. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks man.

Still a great looking K5 you have there. I saw on the news the crazy weather you guys had in Texas. Makes you wonder whats happening to our planet when you see weather extremes like that... Keep us updated with pics of your fine truck. I cant get enough of your K5..:drool:

Thanks Chilli, you know like I do that it is a labor of love, suffering through winter to get to summer.

I plan on getting more done this month before the baby comes and I'm planning a big trip to the four corners either for Expo or a more Colorado focused trip later in August. Either way there will be photos.

tip

Adventurer
Looks about right :sombrero:

TheSimpsons-giant-car_751.jpg

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Thanks man :)

It is definitely the one thing about that truck that went exactly according to plan lol

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looking great Eric! Man, I bet that was a lot of work adding the HVAC box and controls back to it. I cannot understand why people take that stuff off in the first place.

Hehe, I dig the Canyonero emblem too! :sombrero:

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Looking great Eric! Man, I bet that was a lot of work adding the HVAC box and controls back to it. I cannot understand why people take that stuff off in the first place.

Hehe, I dig the Canyonero emblem too! :sombrero:

Thanks dude.

Yeah I don't get it either, for a street rod or show car yes but not a driver, even if you live in San Diego someone down line line will want HVAC.

It's crazy because this was every plenum, duct, vent, nut and bolt. Everything. Even the carpet insulation was gone so we had to fab something from foam.

Works great now though and should have AC done for our super secret trip to Arizona in April :) more to come on that...

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
So, I had seen pics of your rig, but I had no back story to it and now that I know the whole story too.. Man. Makes me love this rig all the more.
Also, I LOVE the Canyonero badge and reference. hah. Awesome.

Larry, you, and Chilli all make me wish I had more time and money to throw at my old 77 K10. hah. Kudos to you for continuing on with this love of yours and building it throughout all of the bumps along the way!

Subscribing to this one so I can keep a watch on this for time to come. :D Great work. Keep it up.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.

Just a small update, I ripped the interior apart and got the new OER carpet installed and rewired a bunch of stuff.

Also got my new fridge, it's a Whynter 85. I wanted an Engel but dayum they are expensive. I've had a Whynter before and it was great, actually still running about 20 years later.

Let me say this fridge is HUGE. But as you can see in the picture with my tailgate I measured pretty well lol.

I'm also working on getting the 05 Tahoe seats installed in the rear, I will have more on that soon too.

Check out the lovely hole that the previous owner cut in the cargo area floorboard. I assume this was to install the fuel tank sending unit.

They proceeded to seal the hole with bar stock, sheet metal screws and Great Stuff... yay! All in all this was a really nice truck when I bought it but some of the issues it has are just stupid.

I hated this color when I first got it but now I'm in love with it. This is the dark saddle GM color.

I was happy to take a $300 discount on the fridge for the dent you can see in this picture.

Cut it close on this one lol

I can probably move the rear seat brackets a little further forward to give me some more wiggle room. I haven't drilled the holes yet so I have a little room still.

I'm also working out the plan for my interior panels in the back. I have the ones that were on the truck when I bought it but they are gross and falling apart so I want to build new ones. More to come on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94