2014 Ram Powerwagon

Flys Lo

Adventurer
In general, you would be fine if went that route. As the poster above me mentioned, you could be in trouble with the authorities (particularly if you have an accident) by towing a weight heavier than what your vehicle is technically rated for.

Same goes for your warranty if they ever found out about your boat weight.

docb14

Well, I didn't think about that aspect. The Insurance company would love to hear I was overloaded and not pay out a dime if a wreck occurred.

Thanks for the heads up.

Guess I'll just have to get a PW and a diesel! Dream......

RoyJ

Adventurer
For them to deny you insurance coverage, they have to prove your "overload" was a safety issue, and caused the accident. If you went over a warranty weight limit, they can't deny you coverage. If they do you have all the rights / reasons in the world to fight back.

Now, of course, all your warranty is instantly void.

Keep in mind thousand of hot shot haulers legally gross 36,000 lbs, day in day out, in pre-2014 Ram pickups. They cross countless DOT scales and are perfectly legal. Because DOT only look at two numbers - your tire and axle loads. There's no such thing as "tow rating" in the commercial world.

As long as you don't overload your tire / axle, you are perfectly legal. Again warranty is a different matter.

155mm

Adventurer
Also consider how often you are towing the boat... e.g. if it's twice a year, why bother with a diesel. Not worth the additional expenses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior