Microsoft Surface 2 tablets announced

haven

Expedition Leader
Microsoft rolled out the second generation of its Surface tablets today. With Windows 8.1, faster processors, and improved graphics, the new tablets look to be a significant step forward. Pricing remains about the same.

There are two models and new accessories

1. Surface Pro 2
.. starts at $899 (4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage)
.. available Oct 22, pre-orders start Sept 24
.. models up to 8 GB RAM, 512 GB storage
.. Windows 8.1, runs any desktop app
.. Intel 1.6 GHz Haswell Core i5 processor is 20% faster
.. 10.6 inch, 1920x1080 screen has improved color accuracy
.. 5 megapixel rear camera, 3.5 megapixel front camera
.. full size USB 3.0 port, microSD slot, mini Displayport, port for covers
.. 42 Wh battery, battery life improved by 60%
.. includes a stylus for on-screen inking
.. two position "kickstand" for use on a desk
.. weight 2 lb without accessory keyboard

2. Surface 2
.. second generation of the Surface RT
.. starts at $449
.. Windows 8.1 RT
.. nVidia Tegra 4 quad core processor
.. "3 to 4 times as fast" as original Surface RT
.. 10.6 inch screen, same as Surface Pro 2
.. screen resolution increases to 1920x1080
.. thinner and lighter
.. battery life improved by 25%
.. one USB 3.0 port
.. two position kickstand

3. New accessories
.. Power Cover ($200) improves battery life by 50%, includes Type Cover keyboard
.. Surface Type Cover 2 ($130) is 1mm thinner, adds backlighting
.. Surface Touch Cover 2 ($120) thinner, lighter, backlighting
.. Bluetooth wireless adapter for either cover ($80)
.. Surface Pro 2 Dock ($200)
.. .. .. ports: 3 USB 2.0, one USB 3.0, miniDisplayport, 802.11 Ethernet, audio in/out
.. Arc Touch Mouse ($70), connects by Bluetooth
.. Surface Music Kit ($ ?) replaces keyboard cover, helps amateurs do remix of audio

4. Included at no extra cost
.. 200 GB of storage on Microsoft's Skydrive for two years
.. free Skype calling to land lines in 60 countries for one year
.. unlimited access to Skype WiFi at 2 million hotspots worldwide for one year

haven

Expedition Leader
My observations

The Surface 2 and Pro 2 look almost identical. Many people will buy the Surface 2, and will be surprised that it won't run standard Windows software. The software catalog for the Windows on the ARM platform is improving, but it's nowhere near the volume and diversity of the iPad or Android tablet software libraries.

The Surface Pro 2 plus keyboard is essentially an Ultrabook portable. It's priced accordingly.

Neither of the new Surface models include a GPS receiver. You can attach one via Bluetooth or USB, but that makes a less portable package.

[Update: Microsoft plans to introduce a Surface with LTE cell service in 2014. It will have GPS capability.]

APIs for the port that connects the keyboard cover are now available to programmers, opening the door to creation of specialized interaction tools. The Surface Music Kit is one example. I can imagine special keyboards for games, for controlling medical equipment, for specialized data entry, and so on. This could be the "killer app" that makes Surface successful in specialized markets.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Am I out to lunch or are these units still ~$150 more than they should be to obtain market penetration?

dstock

Explorer
I'm pretty impressed with the Surface Pro 2, I don't really consider it a tablet although it can function like one. Add in the GPS ability with the LTE version and you have a very powerful, laptop computer. Throw it in the dock with a desktop monitor and now it replaces the home machine. It's not cheap for sure but seems in the same ballpark as other comparable laptops. I'm interested but will wait for the 2014 version.

86tuning

Adventurer
Am I out to lunch or are these units still ~$150 more than they should be to obtain market penetration?

Perhaps they are, but I've been happily using my surface pro (one) for almost a year. Money well spent. Excellent hardware, and windows 8 and 8.1 work quite well in a touch environment.

The few nit picks I have with my computer have been addressed with some updates on the pro2. Better battery life, and multi angle kickstand. Although the original kickstand does work fine, it does take a bit of getting used to.

Definitely recommended. Not cheap, but worth the money.

206WJ

Observer
I changed from a surface RT to a surface2 Pro, and LOVE it!

I have it in my rig for any trip I take, I normally keep a PDF or 2 from the Forrest Service on what area I am going into loaded up for quick access just in case.

I have a Bluetooth GPS receiver that I have yet to setup on the surface, but will get around to it eventually. It's not a big rush since the navigation I have now (Pioneer z150) gets me pretty much everywhere I want to go.

haven

Expedition Leader
Microsoft released a firmware update for the Surface Pro 1 and 2 back in December. However, the update caused problems. Issues included rapid battery drain, not charging while plugged in, and difficulties switching from sleep to awake mode.

This weekend, Microsoft is back with a new firmware update that addresses the problems created in December. The update happens automatically through the Windows Update function. If you don't want to wait for the automatic process to reach you, go here
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-update-history-a

Microsoft promises another firmware update in the near future to address other issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne