New to me Rig, '06 F350

Mrk1

Adventurer
Just picked up this '06 F350 as the new get stuff done rig. I went out looking for a 250 but found this truck and it was in great shape for a New England truck.

This will definitely see more use as a work truck then expedition rig but I would like to get it dirty if I can. My only concerns are in the suspension department. Even on pavement its hard on the kidneys. I don't mind on my commute since its 20min and I'm used to driving sports car. However I cant imagine taking this thing on any dirt road long hauls.

On the up side it feels like it has a factory limited slip diff in the rear. First project is a rear winch system to pull cars onto a trailer.

photo-1.jpg

The chrome rims really need to go

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would spend my money on a new set of tires before a set of rims. Black wheel paint would be simple and cheap. A nice set of Toyos new ATIIs would look nice, and be great in the soon to arrive snow. Maybe go up to a 33 (skinny though, just to piss off a certain someone :elkgrin:).

Mrk1

Adventurer
Im definitely a fan of skinny tires, seems like the 18's are limited my sizes. Factory is 275/70/18

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Too bad Ford went metric with the Super Duty pattern.
A set of grey steelies with 255-85-16 rollers would look great on this truck.

Mrk1

Adventurer

I don't know if I can even go down to a 16 on this truck but its worth finding out. Factory steelies are 17

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I just sanded my wheels gently, brakecleaned, applied Duplicolor buildable/sandable primer, then finished with VHT Epoxy Paint gloss black. I sprayed it from a distance to get a matte gloss finish. Looks as good as powdercoat. Curious how long it lasts. Best part, when I scratch the wheels up, I just respray them when I have them off for the next rotation.
-
The stiff ride could be the plow kit springs that I'm assuming you have due to the high front ride ht on that thing. Get the Carli leveling kit. (springs, 5100 shocks, tracbar, caster shim if needed)

Betarocker

Adventurer
Nice. Needs a super charger. :D

The reason a 16" rim won't fit is not because of the bolt pattern. 1999-2004 Super Duties used 8x170 pattern as well, and used 16" steel rims on base models. The reason a 16" rim cannot be used is the increase in brake rotor diameter, limited to 17" steel rims or 18" alloy rims.

Mrk1

Adventurer
I just sanded my wheels gently, brakecleaned, applied Duplicolor buildable/sandable primer, then finished with VHT Epoxy Paint gloss black. I sprayed it from a distance to get a matte gloss finish. Looks as good as powdercoat. Curious how long it lasts. Best part, when I scratch the wheels up, I just respray them when I have them off for the next rotation.
-
The stiff ride could be the plow kit springs that I'm assuming you have due to the high front ride ht on that thing. Get the Carli leveling kit. (springs, 5100 shocks, tracbar, caster shim if needed)

The truck did have a plow on it when I got it, all that has now been removed and sold. I was looking at some Carli parts but didnt know what it would do for ride quality.

Is there anyway to see for sure if the truck has the plow kit?

Mrk1

Adventurer
Nice. Needs a super charger. :D

The reason a 16" rim won't fit is not because of the bolt pattern. 1999-2004 Super Duties used 8x170 pattern as well, and used 16" steel rims on base models. The reason a 16" rim cannot be used is the increase in brake rotor diameter, limited to 17" steel rims or 18" alloy rims.

This truck definitely has large brakes on it, one of my favorite parts about it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The truck did have a plow on it when I got it, all that has now been removed and sold. I was looking at some Carli parts but didnt know what it would do for ride quality.

Is there anyway to see for sure if the truck has the plow kit?

Carli's will ride as smooth as a Superduty can.
-
Many of the Ford forums have a VIN# breakdown page. It should say there. But if an F350 is level from the factory, it has the plow kit, and since yours had a plow on it, it's a pretty safe bet. Yes the plow trucks do ride very stiff compared to others. Regular cabs and shorter wheelbases feel bumpier as well.
-
The F250 with a camper/towing kit will be level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz